PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

What bothers me most is Kraft committing to Mayo as "heir apparent" so long ago. Then lo and behold, who I consider a superior candidate in Mike Vrabel unexpectedly springs free and gets no consideration. Hopefully Mayo works out but I would've been thrilled to get Vrabel.
If given a choice, I would have preferred Vrabel.

BB also had been a head coach before and there was a lot of drama coming from the Jets. I don’t see a total vision in his comments like some wanted from yesterday’s conference.
No one expects “total vision”. Yesterdays press conference stood out as avoiding any concrete discussion at all about any hint at a plan.

He should see race because that is the only reason he got the job.

Lightning quick Kraft hired Mayo because he wanted to avoid being called racist.

Krafts biggest mistake, was naming Mayo as a possible head coach a couple years ago.

I
Strangest introductory interview I've seen. Kraft says he hired him because he will do a good job. Mayo says they hired me to be a black coach. Strange comment and then he goes in to saying the world should look like his locker room. Not sure how Mayo pulls this off (making the locker room as diverse as the world) with most of the best pro football talent being black players. Kraft says I'm colorblind, Mayo says I'm not.

I like the hire. I think he's not going to be given proper support.

At best, he's been decent, nowhere near great in my humble opinion.
His players have been good, what more can you ask? Wise, Jennings, Barmore, Judon, Keion White, Godchaux. These are 6 solid guys. Add the backups like Ekuale and Roberts who have also looked decent.

What bothers me most is Kraft committing to Mayo as "heir apparent" so long ago. Then lo and behold, who I consider a superior candidate in Mike Vrabel unexpectedly springs free and gets no consideration. Hopefully Mayo works out but I would've been thrilled to get Vrabel.
If we don’t have a good offensive coordinator it doesn’t matter whether it’s Mayo or Vrabel. Those are both defense first guys who will turn over most all offensive duties to a coordinator.

Vrabel is a good coach but the man has had some pretty mediocre seasons lately and did get fired. And a lot of defensive players on the team have been vocal about wanting Mayo as the HC.

Strangest introductory interview I've seen. Kraft says he hired him because he will do a good job. Mayo says they hired me to be a black coach. Strange comment and then he goes in to saying the world should look like his locker room. Not sure how Mayo pulls this off (making the locker room as diverse as the world) with most of the best pro football talent being black players. Kraft says I'm colorblind, Mayo says I'm not.
If Mayo insists on taking a BLM approach, the decision to spend my time and money on the Patriots will be made easy for me. I want to watch a winning football team, not follow a social justice organisation. There's plenty of opportunities to take personal/social positions in your personal life. Leave football to football.

For the moment, I'll see how it plays out but it's a concerning start, to say the least.

Run D allowed the lowest YPC of any team since 2019. DL was excellent.

The run D was great. 27th in defensive sacks means the DL was not excellent.

The run D was great. 27th in defensive sacks means the DL was not excellent.
Their best pass rusher played, what, 2 games? That trickled down the rest of the line.

If we don’t have a good offensive coordinator it doesn’t matter whether it’s Mayo or Vrabel. Those are both defense first guys who will turn over most all offensive duties to a coordinator.

Vrabel is a good coach but the man has had some pretty mediocre seasons lately and did get fired. And a lot of defensive players on the team have been vocal about wanting Mayo as the HC.

His firing was a mistake. Hell, the man was NFL Coach of the Year in 2021 and had taken his team the conference championship game. I think he would've brought a good staff here with him. A big opportunity was lost, IMO.

Their best pass rusher played, what, 2 games? That trickled down the rest of the line.

Every team has injuries. No excuses. The overall DL performance was not excellent. Very stout against the run, but could not generate up field pressure.

Every team has injuries. No excuses. The overall DL performance was not excellent. Very stout against the run, but could not generate up field pressure.
Girl Eye Roll GIF

In this defense sacks come from the olbs not the DL. And Barmore had a bunch.

Yup Barmore had 8.5 sacks. Great year. But the whole DL was good, not great, not excellent.

Agreed. Personally (although I hope that I'm wrong), I thinks it's going to be unsuccessful, with the possibility of an outright train wreck. I guess we'll see.

can we get worse than 4-13?

the trajectory of the team wasn't going in the right direction. Now maybe that was Bill just having this tiny staff of people he trusted and making all the draft decisions, scouts/personnel people be damned!

its not about Mayo the coach, I think he will be fine. He will NOT be anywhere close to or as good as Bill. Its about how our drafting/free agency goes and if we improve in that area. especially on offense. and does our philosophy in building an offense change.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back