PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Salvage This Season?

Trevor Lawrence?? I'd imagine at 6-2 JAX is pretty happy. But I agree your right on that. MAC is never going to excel here with this organization in its current state. But solely becuase he cheap they will ride out his rookie salary and allow him to go elsewhere in FA. It probably best for him and the organization.
Lawrence was the first overall pick in the draft, has he looked dominant?

He walked into a dumpster fire, but we’ve been told a great QB can carry an imbecile of a coach to the winningest career in history for twenty years. By that measure Urban Meyer should still be coaching Jacksonville and won a couple rings by now.

Mac sucks. He’s the same exact player he was after the bye week in year one. That’s okay, the only thing that will compound the mistake would be not recognizing the mistake and continuing to play him. But here we are…

He walked into a dumpster fire, but we’ve been told a great QB can carry an imbecile of a coach to the winningest career in history for twenty years. By that measure Urban Meyer should still be coaching Jacksonville and won a couple rings by now.

Mac sucks. He’s the same exact player he was after the bye week in year one. That’s okay, the only thing that will compound the mistake would be not recognizing the mistake and continuing to play him. But here we are…
Lawrence is one if the best QBs in the league righ now. I'd absolutely take him! Yeah we know Mac isn't the guy. No QB has been dominant this season.. as great as Mahomes is he hasn't been what I'd say dominant. Not sure what you consider to be dominant? Brady was dominant in 2007.. that's dominant to me. I just asked because you said no QB picked in 2021 that the teams were happy with.

Mac had some good traits exiting college, he was accurate and won games, he won in big moments. In hindsight, a lot of that success has to do with being on a college superteam.

The only way a pro team can properly gauge a rookie is to get them in the building and try them out. This is why the draft is a crapshoot. I don’t think a single team who drafted a QB in that 2021 draft class is happy with the result… that’s the nature of the draft.

Screw it… draft another QB, draft two. The draft is a crapshoot, you only lose if you stop playing.

Pick every QB 6’3” or taller with pro traits that’s available in the draft, until someone hits.

Agree!! How many teams in the league waited years and years to find a franchise QB? There are still some teams in league that still don’t have a franchise QB and those teams were picking fairly early in the 1st rounds.

Macs strengths in college have not transitioned in the NFL. That most likely is due to nfl 1st 2nd round talent that was on the offense. I think I read somewhere that he had at least 12 nfl drafted players on that Alabama offense.
From Waddle, Jameson, Smith, even juedy. Draft master BB saw no value in them.

I think that’s too simplistic. It’s seeing everything as black and white in a technicolor world. The whole “Team Bill” vs “Team Tom” dichotomy is a red herring. It’s possible to admire either, or even both of them, without picking sides. Picking sides serves only to divide us, and promote fights among us. Please grow up and get over that.
This isn't about Tom vs Bill. I've been over that since 2020. When I talk about Team Bill, it's the members that constantly berate anyone & everyone that has valid criticisms of Bill's actions these last few seasons.

As far as why some folks still haven’t given up on Corky, I think it’s because picking him in the draft was such a positive. He was highly regarded. He said the right things. He had a great pedigree. He was happy to be here, and we were happy to have him.

some folks recovered from that dopamine hit and saw reality faster than others.
My post wasn't about Corky necessarily but of any of the dreadful picks, be it draft or FAs, Bill's made.

I'm not holding on to the past ("dynasty") to make my opinions about Bill's performance, but rather, his actions these past few seasons. It's been a sub-par performance and getting worse. I'm over Bill and believe it is time to move on. Holding on to him because he's the last remaining link to the glory days of the now defunct "dynasty" is a waste of time and not practical.

This isn't about Tom vs Bill. I've been over that since 2020. When I talk about Team Bill, it's the members that constantly berate anyone & everyone that has valid criticisms of Bill's actions these last few seasons.

My post wasn't about Corky necessarily but of any of the dreadful picks, be it draft or FAs, Bill's made.

I'm not holding on to the past ("dynasty") to make my opinions about Bill's performance, but rather, his actions these past few seasons. It's been a sub-par performance and getting worse. I'm over Bill and believe it is time to move on. Holding on to him because he's the last remaining link to the glory days of the now defunct "dynasty" is a waste of time and not practical.
Questioning Bill the last couple years is fair and rightfully so. It's the guys discounting the 20 successful years previously like Bill had nothing to do with is what's causing the discord here.

Flip side of that is the members who not only berate everything Bill has done, historically as well as recently, but also demand that everyone else do so too. They leave no middle ground. Seems everyone must thoroughly criticize Bill or be pilloried as part of Team Bill.

It’s way out of hand, beyond a waste of time and impractical, when someone on here posts an offer to kick another poster’s ass because they postEd something they don’t like. But that is what we have come to.
If you care to make an actual point, I'll be happy to kick your ass for you.

Last edited:
Questioning Bill the last couple years is fair and rightfully so. It's the guys discounting the 20 successful years previously like Bill had nothing to do with is what's causing the discord here.
I don't agree with that. Of course Bill was an instrumental part of the dynasty. I think that ppl are comparing his record w/ and w/o Brady and arriving at the conclusion that Brady contributed a lot to Bill's record of success. Even Bill has said that and vice versa. It's not just here either. It's a national topic.

I'm more interested in the future of the team. I just don't think that Bill has shown that he's helping the team. It's gotten worse despite drafting a 1st Rd QB and spending a record amount of $ in '21. It's over. We need to move on to fresh blood with new ideas. It'll probably be messy but we won't know if we don't try. After seeing how Josh got fired, I really don't want to see that happen to Bill. I just hope he retires.

Making fun of Bill drives the posters, that don't want to see the so-called dynasty die, crazy. I must admit, there's some fun in that but not for the reasons you stated above.

Flip side of that is the members who not only berate everything Bill has done, historically as well as recently, but also demand that everyone else do so too. They leave no middle ground. Seems everyone must thoroughly criticize Bill or be pilloried as part of Team Bill.

It’s way out of hand, beyond a waste of time and impractical, when someone on here posts an offer to kick another poster’s ass because they postEd something they don’t like. But that is what we have come to.
Lol, it's just entertainment. Not sure why ppl have to get so serious (passionate) about the team. They were great once. Now they suck. It is what it is

I don't agree with that. Of course Bill was an instrumental part of the dynasty. I think that ppl are comparing his record w/ and w/o Brady and arriving at the conclusion that Brady contributed a lot to Bill's record of success. Even Bill has said that and vice versa. It's not just here either. It's a national topic.

I'm more interested in the future of the team. I just don't think that Bill has shown that he's helping the team. It's gotten worse despite drafting a 1st Rd QB and spending a record amount of $ in '21. It's over. We need to move on to fresh blood with new ideas. It'll probably be messy but we won't know if we don't try. After seeing how Josh got fired, I really don't want to see that happen to Bill. I just hope he retires.

Making fun of Bill drives the posters, that don't want to see the so-called dynasty die, crazy. I must admit, there's some fun in that but not for the reasons you stated above.
The dynasty's over, whether you think Bill can pick the team up is another discussion. I'm not sure where I fall on that argument because I can't think of anyone better. The NFL is designed for teams to go up and down, now we're down. Who can bring up back up?

Looking at things the team was right to take a QB at #15.. the organization just did a poor job of developing him. BB gets the credit when the team did well for 19 season so he also gets the criticism for how they look now.

Looking at things the team was right to take a QB at #15.. the organization just did a poor job of developing him. BB gets the credit when the team did well for 19 season so he also gets the criticism for how they look now.
How do you develop a QB with a weak arm and who is a snowflake?

Fire the entire coaching and player development staff and use the last 9 games to distance themselves from the current regime. The rebuild needs to start ASAP.
If they're going to clean house then they need to clean every room.

I don't think it's right to call Bill an imbecile of a coach. Granted, his record without a great QB is pathetic, with the Pats and Browns both, but he's not that bad as a HC. He's more of an imbecile as a GM.

How do you develop a QB with a weak arm and who is a snowflake?

Mac's arm is not that weak if he plants his back foot and steps into the throw. Unfortunately Mac's mechanics are awful because he is a snowflake like you say. Not sure if QBs recover from the jitters of seeing ghosts.

I don't think it's right to call Bill an imbecile of a coach. Granted, his record without a great QB is pathetic, with the Pats and Browns both, but he's not that bad as a HC. He's more of an imbecile as a GM.
And he asked for the dual role of GM/HC as he followed Parcells advice.. of Being the one to pick the groceries and cook the dinner. So as great as a HC he's been undeniably.. The GM aspect has been exposed.

I’m not sure I follow the logic of playing 2 backups who will never be starters anywhere in this league as correcting a mistake. Also the Mac pick wasn’t a mistake when it was made unless we thought moving up for Fields was better.

Also Brady carried GM Bill. No question about it. Without Brady Bill’s experiments with the roster would have turned this team sideways a long time ago.

Lol, it's just entertainment. Not sure why ppl have to get so serious (passionate) about the team. They were great once. Now they suck. It is what it is
Definitely here ya on that. I just believe the forum is where we come to vent really. LOL.. me personally I'm now planning things to do around the house then having my Sundays free from 1-4.. like in seasons past.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back