PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Offense

When Mayock and Kiper do the drafts, there basing it off NFL teams boards and what they have been told by NFL GMs and scouts. So when they mock someone to go in the first, they usually go in the first. Although I don't always agree them mainly Kiper, they are pretty accurate.

And then you add BB into that and suddenly they move from 1 to 7 round :eek:

When Mayock and Kiper do the drafts, there basing it off NFL teams boards and what they have been told by NFL GMs and scouts. So when they mock someone to go in the first, they usually go in the first. Although I don't always agree them mainly Kiper, they are pretty accurate.

Oh, well in that case ... BB always goes by what Kiper and Mayock suggest.

:bricks:

There's a big difference between a player being a generic first rounder and a Patriots' first rounder. Yankey doesn't fit the model for a high Patriots pick on the OL. Su's Filo is much better in that regard, but if you are thinking about an interior lineman, BB has only ever picked one before the 4th round and that's Mankins. The odds aren't on the side of him drafting a first rounder this year either.

By far the best fit for the Patriots on the interior OL in terms of fit and value is Joel Bitonio.

I have a lot to say about offense but don't have the time to get into all of it now sadly. However here is a quick list of things I believe (overall I like our direction though).

#1 power running wins in playoffs is a lie. You want speed to break to the outside away from the top DTs which you CAN NOT over power.

#2 Big physical WRs with good YAC ability. This is generally true unless you have a core like Brown and Branch who are savy enough to separate from physical DBs who are allowed to mug in the playoffs.

#3 Big time playmakers almost never matter. #1 WRs in the playoffs don't really help you win. I agree with mayo on this. The only exception is on guys who demand a double team (the most over used term in NFL... This means a guy even Revis /Sherman can't shut down). Right now I think only 3 guys like that exist in the NFL. Gronk/C. Johnson/J. Gordon. Everyone else turns into an overpaid liability that now has sapped money away from the rest of your skill position core.

#4 Don't lose in OL pass blocking. This is where your offense will live or die in the playoffs. Again, I do not value great run blocking. You will not win with great run blocking consistently in the NFL playoffs. However pass blocking is not about imposing your will but just holding your spot long enough and smart play (simplified I know but talking In vast generalities). When the Patriots were winning SBs we won on the strength of our OL in pass blocking as the key to our offensive. If I recall in 2004-05 Brady was not sacked a single time in that run. That is how you win on offense in the playoffs.

I will say a lot more in the coming days but those are my core feelings. I know I will get flack especially for bashing the power running game in the playoffs but I think the evidence backs me up.

I' draft Bitonio and Marcus Martin in the 2nd but other than that im more than happy to wait for day 3 to draft OL.
Actually if they dont draft one of those two im holding my hopes for a Urschell/Patchan combo in the 6th round.

And part of what they're telling GMs is smoke and mirrors so that their true intentions are hidden or that a prospect falls to them.

A lot of people on this forum look at the game tape themselves and develop their own opinions. None of us claim it's more than a hobby but we are developing our own opinions right or wrong. Mayock watches the tape and I have a ton of respect for him however I'd certainly choose a lot of the opinions in this forum over Kiper.

There's a big difference between a player being a generic first rounder and a Patriots' first rounder. Yankey doesn't fit the model for a high Patriots pick on the OL. Su's Filo is much better in that regard, but if you are thinking about an interior lineman, BB has only ever picked one before the 4th round and that's Mankins. The odds aren't on the side of him drafting a first rounder this year either.

By far the best fit for the Patriots on the interior OL in terms of fit and value is Joel Bitonio.

There's no way of knowing were the Patriots have players rated. I think Yankey and Sua Filo as starters day one so I value them as first rounders.

OK...but Mayoclinic wasn't talking about whether mocks are predictive of when players will be drafted. That's a totally different topic. He was saying that he doesn't believe the players in question are WORTH a high pick, particularly for the Patriots' schemes.

And part of what they're telling GMs is smoke and mirrors so that their true intentions are hidden or that a prospect falls to them.

A lot of people on this forum look at the game tape themselves and develop their own opinions. None of us claim it's more than a hobby but we are developing our own opinions right or wrong. Mayock watches the tape and I have a ton of respect for him however I'd certainly choose a lot of the opinions in this forum over Kiper.

I understand that they try to keep quiet on some players. But there mock drafts are accurate in the sense that most first rounders are mocked as first rounders by them.

I don't see Cannon as a RG, he has limited to no movement skills and he is below average against the run.

You think Cannon has no movement skills but Yankey does?

If you are right about Cannon, the right move would be to trade him ASAP.

I understand that they try to keep quiet on some players. But there mock drafts are accurate in the sense that most first rounders are mocked as first rounders by them.

No they aren't. Keenan Allen for instance didn't go until the 3rd round last year. There's always guys that drop. Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers were projected in the top 5 and didn't go until the 20's. Christian Ponder and Jake Locker were viewed as second rounders and went top 10.

Anyway I'm not going to waste either of our time arguing about Mel Kiper. Hope you hang out and post your opinions on players but people here in general don't care what the vast majority of the "experts" say.

There's no way of knowing were the Patriots have players rated. I think Yankey and Sua Filo as starters day one so I value them as first rounders.

Actually, there are clues if you look for them. The fact that in a decade and a half, BB has only drafted an interior OL in the first four rounds is one such clue. Also, early round offensive linemen fit a fairly strict athletic profile which Yankey is nowhere near. So whilst we may not know, there's certainly an informed opinion to be made.

And for what it's worth, if you had said:

I think Yankey and Sua Filo as starters day one so I value them as first rounders.

Instead of:

When Mayock and Kiper do the drafts, there basing it off NFL teams boards and what they have been told by NFL GMs and scouts. So when they mock someone to go in the first, they usually go in the first.

I'd have taken what you said more seriously. I might disagree with a person's personal grade of a prospect but I'll always respect it.

I' draft Bitonio and Marcus Martin in the 2nd but other than that im more than happy to wait for day 3 to draft OL.
Actually if they dont draft one of those two im holding my hopes for a Urschell/Patchan combo in the 6th round.

Four names I like a lot right there.

That makes a ton of sense as an allocation of capital, draft and otherwise.

I'd much rather they were focused on a FA pass rusher...or at least were focused as there's not a great deal left. I just don't like the draft pass rushers this year. Much prefer the draft RBs.

I am very hesitant to invest a first round pick in guards or centers. I just don't believe there is evidence to suggest top talent at those positions and eventually having to spend a lot of money on them is how you win championships.

I would rather get an average run blocker who is also a top pass blocker which is quite a bit cheaper and can often be had in rounds 2-5.

So obviously I am not in the camp of taking a guard in the first even if I knew it was another Logan Mankins. Give me a pro-bowl DE/DT over an all-pro G any day.

Probably going to get killed for this but,it seems to me the team was/is pretty high on both Barker and Kline. I would not be surprised if they didn't draft an interior offensive lineman. I know Scar is gone but the OL developmental prospects growth over the years had been a huge reason for this teams success. Scar got a full year with these guys and the be OL coach seems pretty promising in his own right. I can't help but wonder if these two are the next men up.

Probably going to get killed for this but,it seems to me the team was/is pretty high on both Barker and Kline. I would not be surprised if they didn't draft an interior offensive lineman. I know Scar is gone but the OL developmental prospects growth over the years had been a huge reason for this teams success. Scar got a full year with these guys and the be OL coach seems pretty promising in his own right. I can't help but wonder if these two are the next men up.

Nah I won't "kill" you for that. However I would say it would be a shame if this team did not try to upgrade the OL in this draft with some many interesting prospects which can be had in rounds 2-4.

I think we can potentially be okay with Mankins/Connolly/Cannon as the interior and be better than last year. But I think getting a Center in round 3 and keeping Connolly at guards (or Cannon if he wins the job) would really go a long way to improve the line with that move alone.

However if there is someone worth taking with that pick and we punt on OL till a later round I will not be upset as long as it can potentially improve the team an equal amount.

I was thinking something similar earlier because there's been little interest shown by the Pats in interior linemen through FA that we know of.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back