PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

obscure question re: new playoff OT rule

wheresmosi

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hi. I have read some sites but do not see this specific question addressed. Suppose a team gets the ball first, and commits a fumble or interception, BUT on the return, the defense-turned-offense ALSO fumbles and the original offense recovers. Would this count as a possession for the second team? if so, that would mean that the original offensive team could simply kick a FG and win upon recovery or, if they scored a TD, the game would be over.

The rules talk about each team getting one possession, but as far as i can tell, it does not specify each OFFENSE getting one possession. A recovery of a turnover is technically a change in possession, so I am curious how this would be handled. Does anyone know?

Based on the fact you get a first down when you get the ball back I think it indeed would count. See the Troy Brown fumble vs Chargers way back when as an example.

Based on the fact you get a first down when you get the ball back I think it indeed would count. See the Troy Brown fumble vs Chargers way back when as an example.
Yeah, that would make sense, but I'd still like to see it specifically addressed. There might be something buried in the rules that defines "possession" wherever it appears in other rules. That would be wild to see a game decided like this. :)

In your above example, each team had a possession. There is nothing that says you have to have your offense on the field. So yes, after the double change-of-possession play in your hypothetical, we would now be in sudden death.

Another thing I do not think most people realize is that you only need to have a chance to have a possession. Suppose in OT...

1) SF wins the coin toss and chooses to receive.
2) KC kicks an onside kick
3) KC recovers the onside kick

In this case, SF has had their chance at a possession. We are now in sudden death OT and KC only needs a FG.

brady said he likes sudden death ot better, non of these college rule adoption ****

Hi. I have read some sites but do not see this specific question addressed. Suppose a team gets the ball first, and commits a fumble or interception, BUT on the return, the defense-turned-offense ALSO fumbles and the original offense recovers. Would this count as a possession for the second team? if so, that would mean that the original offensive team could simply kick a FG and win upon recovery or, if they scored a TD, the game would be over.

The rules talk about each team getting one possession, but as far as i can tell, it does not specify each OFFENSE getting one possession. A recovery of a turnover is technically a change in possession, so I am curious how this would be handled. Does anyone know?

Yes it does. A change of possession is a change of possession, period.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back