PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Free Agents thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an interview with McCourty last night and whilst it was hard to gauge how serious he was being, he did say "High is coming back".

Why do people miss Harmon on these FA lists? Almost made his usual Mr Clutch play again last night. It'll be tough to bring him back, but he's done more than enough to warrant discussion.

Why do people miss Harmon on these FA lists? Almost made his usual Mr Clutch play again last night. It'll be tough to bring him back, but he's done more than enough to warrant discussion.
I already mentionned him as the one I'd like to see back. If ever DMac misses any time - Harmon can hold his own.

Harmon or Chung is really the question
How awful Has Jordan Richards been?
Would like to see him become something or be traded for another player or late pick

Pretty sure after Bennet's off the cusp comments last night that he's looking for a big payday in FA, so he's gone.

Hightower will be a really, really hard decision. Historically the Pats only ever overpay their defensive or offensive playcallers, the guys making reads. See McCourty. They will try to keep him, but he's going to want > Collins money, which will be hard to justify.

At least one of Ryan/Harmon is gone (we won't be able to pay both), and so yea our secondary is going to take a big hit. Butler will get the 1st rounder tender.

Basically, we might be looking at a pretty massive turnover on D in order to keep fiscal sanity. The flipside is that if we don't overpay any of these guys we'd have a lot of cap space, so could make some splashes in the usual bargain basement mill.

From a long term perspective, overpaying guys is a bad way to run a franchise, however we really don't have that many more years of Brady either, so yea there is a question mark there.

We can't afford him, plus his latest injury history is a concern, I rather not cripple this team with the last few years Brady got left and we need to invest in younger talent consistently.
Oh, it's the money? Not the whole child abuse thing?

Butler and Hightower will be back. They can force it pretty much at least for 1 more year.

Bennett is gone.

I hope Branch comes back and I wanna see what they elect to do with Ryan/Harmon.

I don't worry much about replacing guys like Sheard, Long, Blount, ect...

I would love to keep the key pieces of this now proven D together if possible but IDK if it is likely.

I'd keep Jimmy G around just in case. Brady has probably 2 elite years left.

Gronk isn't a necessity to win a SB. That's been proven. Draft a TE for the future.

Hightower is a priority over Amendola & Ryan. Bennett will leave. Look at Jeffrey from Chicago as a free agent.

Whatever they end up doing they need a number one quality #2 DB due to next years schedule. Pass rush and the secondary will make or break next year.

Pitt gets Bryant back.
Saints offense
Oaklands offense.

That's just a start. You can't let Ryan walk and just use Coleman or Rowe against these guys' number 2 receivers.

Bennett called Jeffrey a punk didnt he?

Bennett called Jeffrey a punk didnt he?

I put zero weight into anything Bennett says about anything pre and post Pats

He will revert to malcontent Bennett in short order.

I highly doubt we go for Jeffrey, especially when we have Floyd and Mitchell here.

We definitely need to keep Ryan, he is a decent number two and go up against the other team big guys. I think Harmon is gone for sure, we gotta keep Hightower at all costs, sure he had injuries here and there but when he is on the field he is a difference maker. I don't trust Van Noy or Roberts taking over that role, at least not yet. I like how much Hightower learned from Mayo, the leadership he brings to that defense is huge.

I love Harmon. Id keep him if at all possible.
There's nobody behind D-Mac plus Pats need an extra FS for big nickel.

Economics will probably not support the love though.
There is a good pool of FS FAs to choose from (on the other hand that might lower Harmon's market value). There is quite deep draft at position as well. Last but not least it will be interesting to see what they do with Ebner. BB praised him a lot recently as “one of the most improved players he's coached“. He has speed and is a great tackler. He also has range and some coverage skills (showed it on ST and Rugby Olympics). Maybe he is ready to step up?

_

Let me add this again here for some locker room context that shouldn't be easily dismissed..

I highly doubt we go for Jeffrey, especially when we have Floyd and Mitchell here.

We definitely need to keep Ryan, he is a decent number two and go up against the other team big guys. I think Harmon is gone for sure, we gotta keep Hightower at all costs, sure he had injuries here and there but when he is on the field he is a difference maker. I don't trust Van Noy or Roberts taking over that role, at least not yet. I like how much Hightower learned from Mayo, the leadership he brings to that defense is huge.

Ryan and Harmon are likely to be wildly overpaid, and playing elsewhere next season, and Bennett seems as if he's going to chase down that last dollar. If you're a fan of theirs, consider them gone and you can be pleasantly surprised if they stick around.

Hightower will (I think) be franchised, if that's necessary to keep him.
Butler's not going anywhere, unless someone signs him to an insane offer sheet.

I love Harmon. Id keep him if at all possible.
There's nobody behind D-Mac plus Pats need an extra FS for big nickel.

Economics will probably not support the love though.
There is a good pool of FS FAs to choose from (on the other hand that might lower Harmon's market value). There is quite deep draft at position as well. Last but not least it will be interesting to see what they do with Ebner. BB praised him a lot recently as “one of the most improved players he's coached“. He has speed and is a great tackler. He also has range and some coverage skills (showed it on ST and Rugby Olympics). Maybe he is ready to step up?

_

Let me add this again here for some locker room context that shouldn't be easily dismissed..

There is arguably the best safety class for a long time so hopefully his value to others will be diminished. I've liked Harmon from the start so I'll be very happy if he stays.

I put zero weight into anything Bennett says about anything pre and post Pats

He will revert to malcontent Bennett in short order.

@rochrist

Explain your disagree. Show me how Bennett has been a model citizen everywhere other than NE.

There is arguably the best safety class for a long time so hopefully his value to others will be diminished. I've liked Harmon from the start so I'll be very happy if he stays.

Let's hope. Always prefer players to prospects..

@rochrist

Explain your disagree. Show me how Bennett has been a model citizen everywhere other than NE.

Speaking up is not being a bad person. Has be been arrested? No. Has he been suspended for PED issues? No. Pretty sure any player with a brain would be a malcontent on the freaking Bears.

Speaking up is not being a bad person. Has be been arrested? No. Has he been suspended for PED issues? No. Pretty sure any player with a brain would be a malcontent on the freaking Bears.

I call not working on several teams a trend. Dallas. Giants. Bears.

Fine with the Pats. Kinda like Talib. Never heard much if any praise for Bennett on his other teams.

You can't win this after all the talk was he was a malcontent everywhere else he has been and will he fit in. That was the narrative 10 months ago.

I call not working on several teams a trend. Dallas. Giants. Bears.

Fine with the Pats. Kinda like Talib. Never heard much if any praise for Bennett on his other teams.

You can't win this after all the talk was he was a malcontent everywhere else he has been and will he fit in. That was the narrative 10 months ago.
And he's been fine here. I don't give a **** if he was a malcontent with the Bears. Talib has been fine with the Broncos too. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes