PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our #1 need...by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Pats need to significantly upgrade their OLB before next season. I don't think need #2 (WR in my opinion) is even close. As I have stated in other threads, of all the 3-4 teams, I would put the Pats current OLB position near the bottom. The guys people on this board seem to talk about with great excitement (Crable, Redd and Woods) have shown nothing, and Adalius has 1 season of double digit sacks in his career. Our secondary could consist of Pro Bowlers, but if they give teams as much time as they had last year, they will be picked apart.

I agree that OLB is our #1 need. I dont know if we can draft a player NFL ready and able to dominate in his first season. That being said, I disagree that WR is our #2 need. I would say OL, DL, S, then WR. I dont believe it is necessary to look for one particular position in the draft, just the best possible players, possibly trading multiple 2009 picks into better 2010 picks

The Pats need to significantly upgrade their OLB before next season. I don't think need #2 (WR in my opinion) is even close. As I have stated in other threads, of all the 3-4 teams, I would put the Pats current OLB position near the bottom. The guys people on this board seem to talk about with great excitement (Crable, Redd and Woods) have shown nothing, and Adalius has 1 season of double digit sacks in his career. Our secondary could consist of Pro Bowlers, but if they give teams as much time as they had last year, they will be picked apart.

Easier said than done...... In this D that position brings with it a very high cerebral component, one you might or might not find in round 1. It's not like a straight up 4/3 were it's allot easy to just get after it. When your playing allot of zone behind the 3/4 your asking your OLB to take part in assessing what's in front of him and what your in. He's got potential option principles to think about. Where's the safety at post motion, am I underneath 1/4 now. You're right it's a need but if you can find a player whom you can accentuate their skills great, if not your talkin about someone who's smarter than a rookie. Unless their exceptional and you know it, you can cover more field with the wiley guy.

Easier said than done...... In this D that position brings with it a very high cerebral component, one you might or might not find in round 1. It's not like a straight up 4/3 were it's allot easy to just get after it. When your playing allot of zone behind the 3/4 your asking your OLB to take part in assessing what's in front of him and what your in. He's got potential option principles to think about. Where's the safety at post motion, am I underneath 1/4 now. You're right it's a need but if you can find a player whom you can accentuate their skills great, if not your talkin about someone who's smarter than a rookie. Unless their exceptional and you know it, you can cover more field with the wiley guy.

No disrespect, but I think you're overstating the value of a cerebral component for an OLB in a 3-4. Yes, there is some decision making involved, but the most important thing is getting after the qb. The Pats OLB's, while maybe intelligent, do not have that ability. This is a position where a young player can have a major impact. We have enough cerebral guys on this defense. We need a guy that can simply beat the guy (or guys) in front of him and get to the qb.

No disrespect, but I think you're overstating the value of a cerebral component for an OLB in a 3-4. Yes, there is some decision making involved, but the most important thing is getting after the qb. The Pats OLB's, while maybe intelligent, do not have that ability. This is a position where a young player can have a major impact. We have enough cerebral guys on this defense. We need a guy that can simply beat the guy (or guys) in front of him and get to the qb.

Kind of like the Jarvis Green of LBs? Clay Matthews is your man!

Seems like more of a project/workout warrior than a proven pass rusher. See Mike Mamula

Mayo had a great combine too. Is he another Mike Mamula? Come on. When did we start to hold great athleticism AGAINST a prospect?
I guess Curry is a workout warrior too. Uh oh, Mamula Factor! Well obviously he drops out of the 1st round now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seems like more of a project/workout warrior than a proven pass rusher. See Mike Mamula
Clay Matthews 4.5 sacks.

Connor Barwin 11 sacks.

Yeh, Matthews production does make you wonder if he's just the next overhyped workout warrior.

Valid point about Mathew's production, Box. That said, couldn't one also argue that due to the overwhelming tallent on USC's defense that production was spread throughout the defense. Almost akin to the 2003-2004 championship defenses?

Have you seen any of him playing? Curious if he plays at a high level with technique, reads and motor or is like Maualuga.

Valid point about Mathew's production, Box. That said, couldn't one also argue that due to the overwhelming tallent on USC's defense that production was spread throughout the defense. Almost akin to the 2003-2004 championship defenses?

Have you seen any of him playing? Curious if he plays at a high level with technique, reads and motor or is like Maualuga.

your correct about spreading the playing time. After walking on to the team he finally won a spot in the starting lineup midway through his senior year. It's good to note there are 4 OLB (5 including Maualuga) from USC that will be drafted this year so it wasn't an easy task. People talk about that cerebral component. He was on the Pac-10 All-Academic 1st Team. His determination cannot be questioned.

I can't speak to technique, I barely understand what NE OLBs are supposed to be doing...but NFL Draft Scout says he runs around blocks. :eek: As a DE he's heading for the QB first.

He does have a high motor.

I like the kid, I'd consider him in the late second/early third, but I don't see him as a first round value. As far as the people playing in front of him in previous years, perhaps someone could list them and offer an assessment of their NFL careers to date? (Barwin's predecessor at TE had 10 catches for the Eagles in the NFCC and his predecessor at DE finished the season on NE's Practice Squad and was re-signed to a futures contract).

your correct about spreading the playing time. After walking on to the team he finally won a spot in the starting lineup midway through his senior year. It's good to note there are 4 OLB (5 including Maualuga) from USC that will be drafted this year so it wasn't an easy task. People talk about that cerebral component. He was on the Pac-10 All-Academic 1st Team. His determination cannot be questioned.
I know Matthews, Cushing, Maiava, and Maualuga are in the draft from USC, what other LB? (Unless you mean their SS Ellison who needs to move to LB because he's so slow.)

I know Matthews, Cushing, Maiava, and Maualuga are in the draft from USC, what other LB? (Unless you mean their SS Ellison who needs to move to LB because he's so slow.)

Yea Ellison. I threw him in there to help my point :)

Last edited:
This will all depend on

a) How BB rates these guys based on NE's need and the ability to quickly fit into our defensive systems

b) How other teams see these guys. Who knows, maybe other FO's are hot on Barwin or Matthews and they go before 23...

I still see AD with Woods/Crable as starting OLB's next season - at least to begin with. Pretty rare for BB to play a rookie from the get go unless he's solid gold (i.e. Mayo)

Last edited:
Mayo had a great combine too. Is he another Mike Mamula? Come on. When did we start to hold great athleticism AGAINST a prospect?
I guess Curry is a workout warrior too. Uh oh, Mamula Factor! Well obviously he drops out of the 1st round now. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous compairson.. I believe Mayo lead the ACC in tackles..

No offense, but isn't this kind of backwards? Think about it: "He couldn't make much of an impact because he was surrounded by such fabulous talent that he couldn't possibly be double-teamed or schemed against. And it's awfully hard to register any sacks when you have guys like Mays & Ellison harassing receivers and making QBs panic." :confused:

As for "spreading the production around," Cushing had 3 sacks, Maualuga 0, Ellison 0. So the final tally:
Matthews + Cushing + Maualuga + Ellison = 3.5 sacks less than Barwin

Larry English is the value pass rusher at 23. I still believe that ILB is the biggest need. Though both need attention. Bruschi age/health. Mayo great.Guyton a good role lb like Roman Phifer fit into rotation. No other ILB that can help. I think Pats can get Jason Taylor for a year to add pressure and teach English. But unless we get Maualuga-Beckwith-or a lesser known start -this is a major trouble spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents