PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

Because in today's NFL if a #3 OA pick can not beat out Jacoby Brissett he's in trouble.

Even Mac beat out Cam.

Can you imagine Brissett beating out Stroud last year?
I see your point but look at how many top 5 QBs bust. Unfortunately, college football doesn’t always adequately prepare QBs for the NFL with all the gimmick offenses you see in NCAA football nowadays.

For me, I’m fine with our rookie 1st rd QB sitting and learning for a year if the coaches think that’s the way to go for his proper development. We’re early in the rebuild process so we’re still 2 years away from any kind of contention.

It's negative because if the 3rd pick in the draft isn't quickly better than Jacoby Brissett who loses 2 out every 3 games he plays in the NFL then you have problems, sitting in theory sounds ideal especially for a project like Maye but the 3rd pick in the draft should be better than Brissett in very short order.

It's much easier to sit a quarterback when the team is competitive and winning games, i just don't see how this team with 18-30 Jacoby Brissett is going to be competitive he was 4-7 with Cleveland in 2022 with a far superior roster.

All of these plans go out of the window as soon as the losses start piling up and the QB position is contributing to it.

This is like when the Patriots drafted Mac Jones, if he wasn't better than the corpse of Cam Newton then you immediately had problems.
Well let’s see how things shake out in camp. If the rookie QB lights it on fire, then he’ll get to play and Jacoby serves as the vet QB back up mentor. The other scenario is what I already said; the rookie sits and learns for a year.

I’m fine with either case. Let’s get the QB competition started!

One thing about Jacoby.. the guy has a rocket for an arm still.

And a slow delivery. He's a mediocre career journeyman backup. Yeah -- "very likable, great guy, will be good in the meeting room," etc., etc. BFD. I want this team to at least TRY winning games this year, which logically would've required risking some upside at the quarterback position. Why not Jimmy G? Or taking a flyer on Fields? Hell, I'd rather go with Flacco.

Bridge guy... ok we can see what the plan is. Who's gonna be the rookie? Is it MHJ and then Nix or Penix? Trade back and JJM? Daniels or Maye?

And yet between yesterday's subtraction this addition the QB room is measurably improved and that in itself is noteworthy
wonderful

i am really looking forward to his 10 for 12, 120 yard performances to come

Last edited:
The self harm continues, people...slow action discharge is going to get really old by week 3

Golden State Warriors Wow GIF by NBA

Jacoby Brissett is a QB who's 18-30, this is not Patrick Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith or Jordan Love sitting behind Aaron Rodgers.
Mac Jones career record is 18-24. He’d regressed every year. And some thought he should get yet another year starting for the Pats to see if he could turn it around. At least this is an upgrade.

I would be fine with him behind center for a season, if we can get MHJ

Good signing !

I really dislike this move. It's too safe and signals two things: Mayo/Wolf are content with being mediocre at best this year and either Maye or Daniels will be taken at No. 3.
What would you have preferred?

No hes not

I don't know what you guys have been watching but that is just not true.
I've been watching the Patriots since 2020. Your choices for 'best QB since Tom Brady' are Jacoby Brissett or Cam Newton. I have no idea what you've been watching.

wonderful

i am really looking forward to his 10 for 12, 120 yard performances to cone
You realize what a MARKED improvement that would be over the QB play we've seen here the last 2 seasons?

Bridge guy... ok we can see what the plan is. Who's gonna be the rookie? Is it MHJ and then Nix or Penix? Trade back and JJM? Daniels or Maye?
I might like that. I think MHJ would have more impact on competing in the coming season.

Brissett + MHJ + rookie QB sitting and learning >> Brissett + QB picked #3 + whatever WRs can be scraped together

underwhelming addition
Underwhelming but what did you prefer out of curiousity?

Wilson, Cousins, Fields or someone else?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back