Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which WR would you take at 34?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking at this roster, I'd probably put money on us picking top 5 again next year no matter what position we take with the #34 pick in the draft.
Guess you didn't watch the defense last year.

He played 75% of his snaps outside last year. Only his skin color profiles him as strictly slot.
Not really the spot for this post, but I'm really curious to see where Cooper DeJean's going. Has fantastic speed (10.71 nw 100m in HS), but there's a stigma about his hips... they supposedly lie. That speed, though, would work very well in... the FS position eventually...

Would be funny if he gets taken 59 overall (where Sehorn went). I know we've had Apke since then, but he was not a regular.

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward WR. You're not going to find a Mitchell or McConkey later in the draft. Maybe Javon Baker will be as good at the top of the 3rd, if he's still there.

The tackles are all developmental, and though I'd love to see Paul or Sumataia taken, I'd rather they trade back up into the bottom of the round.

Finally, we do need a future CB and a FS, but not necessarily for this year. As tempting as it is to grab DeJean or McKinstry, you don't know for sure that Javon Bullard at the top of the 3rd or Cam Hart taken there won't end up as better pros than both DeJean or McKinstry.

At this point, WR is your best bet, and it's a big help that there are 2 good WRs still on the board.
Even though my irrational side would take 4 WRs in every draft, I like Phil Perry's board where the Pats take Sumataia in the 2nd and Tanor Bortolini (my OL Day 3 steal / Beankie) in the 4th. He's a guy who can play in every OL position and has one of the best 20Shuts for an OL ever (which imho is crucial for an OL, especially OT). Phil actually has him in the 5th, but I don't think he lasts that long.

Not really the spot for this post, but I'm really curious to see where Cooper DeJean's going. Has fantastic speed (10.71 nw 100m in HS), but there's a stigma about his hips... they supposedly lie. That speed, though, would work very well in... the FS position eventually...

Would be funny if he gets taken 59 overall (where Sehorn went). I know we've had Apke since then, but he was not a regular.
DeJean at 34 is probably a better option than any of the poll options, unless they love Samartaia who I am fine with us picking).

Mitchell.

Or one of the Left Tackles.

They could've had Polk at 68.

Meet the New boss; same as the Old boss.
Passing on Mitchell twice is going to come back to haunt them, big time. But don't say you could have had Polk at 68. I said that draft night, and had 4 people immediately saying they couldn't, so they're obviously right.

Edit: Players you could have had at 37:

Adonai Mitchell
Kool-Aid McKinistry
Cooper Dejaun
Braden Fiske
Jevon Bullard
Patrick Paul - At least he was a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. The other ones were first round talent just sitting there, waiting to be taken at 37. That's ignoring the pointless trade down, when you were at 34, you can include Jer'Zhan Newton too.

Players you could have had at 68:

Ja'Lynn Polk

Last edited:
Passing on Mitchell twice is going to come back to haunt them, big time. But don't say you could have had Polk at 68. I said that draft night, and had 4 people immediately saying they couldn't, so they're obviously right.

Edit: Players you could have had at 37:
Adonai Mitchell
Kool-Aid McKinistry
Cooper Dejaun
Braden Fiske
Jevon Bullard
Patrick Paul - At least he was a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. The other ones were first round talent just sitting there, waiting to be taken at 37. That's ignoring the pointless trade down, when you were at 34, you can include Jer'Zhan Newton too.

Players you could have had at 68:
Ja'Lynn Polk

Yep; and even if Polk were indeed taken before 68, Roman Wilson would've been a more than adequate replacement for those too scared to take Mitchell at 37, or 43 if Wolfie had traded with the Fail-cons instead of the Chargers.

I like Troy buy I've seen him go as low as round 3. I also like Malachi Corley.
Your prediction was correct. I thought Franklin would go in the second. He had one of the worst gauntlet at the combine, but I thought he was one of the better receivers.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back