PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Post Game Observations, preseason wk 3 at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pre-Post Game Observations

The defensive was the least of my worries. The offensive sucked royally along with Brady being one of the worst performers. Spin that any way you want.
The defense allowed 300 yards and 20 points IN A HALF. If thats the least of your worried, welcome to 6-10

Was Brady in the shotgun last night?

Yes, in some snaps. Didnt help, as the OL was overwhelmed by the DL of Lions. If our OL plays like this, then, playoffs will not be in the cards..

Brady was off most of the night. His throws were short (snaps that he had time).

CBs were just bad. McCourty played like a 1st year player (he never turned to see where the ball was, always tried to play the WR). Arrington was plain bad. He may be better as a LB than a CB. Butler has not improved, played bad.

Our DL was not good either, as they did not pressure the QB as they did last 2 games.. You give lots of time to the QB, no matter who it is, will complete throws..

All in all, 2-steps backwards..

There should be no excuses for the bad play, as the game was in a dome..

Also, Ocho is totally not impressive. I'd cut him, as he has not shown any help (think Joey Galloway)..

I'd sign Mark Clayton, and see what he can do.. 29yrds old and may be better than Ocho..

IMO

What game were you watching? They played the same scheme, they just were awfiul at it, or on the other hand they finally faced a capable offense. There is a lot of work to do. Hopefully Haynesworth, Spikes, Cunningham, Bodden, Brace will be back soon, we are going to need them.

I disagree with the scheme comment a little bit. It looked like we opened the game with the 3-4 as the base defense. Then we moved to the 4-3 and we didn't blitz like last week. I only remember the sack by Arrington and when Mayo got there a little late and blasted Stafford. I think the defensive scheme was far more vanilla than last week. Is it possible that Bill wanted to get a look at a bunch of different coverages? Stafford has a ton of time to get comfy in the pocket and make good reads downfield. I think the Pats D could have turned up the pressure and Stafford would have looked a little different.

I disagree with the scheme comment a little bit. It looked like we opened the game with the 3-4 as the base defense. Then we moved to the 4-3 and we didn't blitz like last week. I only remember the sack by Arrington and when Mayo got there a little late and blasted Stafford. I think the defensive scheme was far more vanilla than last week. Is it possible that Bill wanted to get a look at a bunch of different coverages? Stafford has a ton of time to get comfy in the pocket and make good reads downfield. I think the Pats D could have turned up the pressure and Stafford would have looked a little different.
The scheme was really the same, what was different was the players were getting blocked.

Yes, in some snaps. Didnt help, as the OL was overwhelmed by the DL of Lions. If our OL plays like this, then, playoffs will not be in the cards..

Brady was off most of the night. His throws were short (snaps that he had time).
Carry over from the Jets game.

If Brady has to move his feet he can be less effective. Knock him down and he hurries his throws. Kudos to Shwartz for picking that up.

CBs were just bad. McCourty played like a 1st year player (he never turned to see where the ball was, always tried to play the WR). Arrington was plain bad. He may be better as a LB than a CB. Butler has not improved, played bad.

Whats gotten into Mcourty?

He didnt look back for the ball which was his strength in 2010. IMO, I would trade for Samuel. With Bodden out, this is what youre looking at for a NE pass D.

The scheme was really the same, what was different was the players were getting blocked.

First series - no blitzes. Nickel D except they used Ninkovich at DE instead of Carter. That is a big difference from the Bucs game. McCourty looked awful and should have given up a touchdown.

Second series - no blitzes. Nickel D with four rushes. No Cover 1 or O like in the Bucs game yet. That screen was very well run. The lions are going to be dangerous this year.

Third series - 2 blitzes. 1st down. Ninkovich now upright as a linebacker and Moore in at DE. Now running 4-3 with no nickelback.
2nd down - back to the Nickel.
At 12:28 in the second qutr the Pats run their first blitz when the nose tackles twisted and Arrington shot the gap. Nice blitz but Sanders who had TE responsibility was ridiculously late. Next play they run the same thing from the other side and sack Stafford. Series over. Punt. It wasn't until the last two plays of the third series on D that they blitzed. This is a departure from the week before. Sure the base scheme may have been the "same" but it wasn't nearly the same overall defensive game plan. Remember Mayo and Guyton blitzing the Bucs. Three series in they are still flat footed in most drop zone coverage. Not different?

Fourth series - 2nd play of series the Pats bring both Mayo and Guyton and Mayo crushes Stafford. Stafford throws that pop fly to Johnson who makes a great catch making McCourty look bad again. Next play TD.

Four series - 3 blitzes. Scheme is Nickel and I still say a departure from the game before.

Fifth series - no blitzes. Dmac makes a great play to end it with a 3 and out.

Five series against Stafford and 3 blitzes. Only one blitz that involved the linebackers. This is a different game plan than that against Tampa. The only time they blitzed the backers Stafford got crushed and threw up a prayer. In my opinion this would have happened more often if we had blitzed more like the Bucs game. They most certainly did not press the issue. It seemed like Bill wanted to see coverages.

Against Shaun Hill they blitzed twice in his first series.

In the second half with our 1st D playing the Lions 2nd O they still did not blitz. Against Drew Stanton they stayed in the same drop zone coverage. By the end of the had third they blitzed around 6 times. All game. Again, nickel scheme but not the same as the Bucs game...

On a side note...the Brady to Welker TD was not exciting. They tricked a couple of second team corners and safeties. Big deal.

Last edited:

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

OTOH, when you have Avril (oh what might've been) & the punk Suh foaming at the mouth
like rabid wolverines, you have to stop worrying about the weather & start worrying about
the health of your Franchise QB.

You also forgot to ream BOB a new one. Just because there's no game-planning doesn't mean you call a strongside IZ run on a 3rd and 1, because Connolly vs. Suh is the worst matchup on the entire line. Of course BJGE gets blown up for a loss.

And what makes you think that this was a mistake? Maybe this is exactly what the Patriots needed at this point in the pre-season - the knowledge that they have a lot to work on and that (football) life isn't a bed of roses.

You have to remember that the goal of plays within a pre-season game is often very different than the goal of a play called during the regular season.

Play calling almost got Brady killed. You don't run a fake end around when Brady was getting clobbered the entire drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Definitely no game-planning.

Ocho's problem is not the playbook, but the coverage-based route modifications. He's never had such a thing in Cincinnati- and like you said he'll take quite a bit before he catches on, but it's not all on him, none of the wideouts (outside receivers) had any catches tonight. Not Price, not Ocho, not even Branch.

You also forgot to ream BOB a new one. Just because there's no game-planning doesn't mean you call a strongside IZ run on a 3rd and 1, because Connolly vs. Suh is the worst matchup on the entire line. Of course BJGE gets blown up for a loss.

Also the Lions chose to bring heavy pressure up the middle- where was the OZ run? The PA? Even a few screens?

The one effective PA we ran, the CB on Welker bite hard, leaving Welker free for the inside seam TD.

The playcalling was the one thing I was really concerned about.
BOB's play calling has been pretty putrid overall since he got the job. I was very disappointed that he was kept on after the disgrace of a game he called against the Jests in the playoffs. Nothing will change as long as the interior of the O- line is bolstered and BOB is replaced. I never ha a problem with Josh Mac, but i do with BOB.

Last edited:

Just got done re-watching the game.

• Synopsis: Brady was terrible last night. He had time in the first half with a wide open Welker and Woodhead on several plays and he plain blew the throws. Looked neurotic and scared well before the Lions actually did start getting to him later in the game. Yes, Vollmer was beaten like a rented mule on multiple plays but Brady is the main culprit here, taking too long to get rid of the ball and 'scrambling' when there was no need to several times.
  • McCourty looked good. Watch the game again. Made plays and was competitive on the ones he gave up with Stafford making some unbelievable throws. Butler looked good overall with Arrington the one giving up the bad plays in this one.

Not sure anything could have overcome Brady last night.

And what makes you think that this was a mistake? Maybe this is exactly what the Patriots needed at this point in the pre-season - the knowledge that they have a lot to work on and that (football) life isn't a bed of roses.

You have to remember that the goal of plays within a pre-season game is often very different than the goal of a play called during the regular season.

If Connolly was at RG when they called this, I really don't see the point.

However, I've been told that he left the game prior to this 3rd and one, in which case if Ohrnberger was in there, then it would probably have been a test to see how Ohrnberger could handle Suh, in which case you would be right.

The defense allowed 300 yards and 20 points IN A HALF. If thats the least of your worried, welcome to 6-10

I didn't say it was not a worry, only the least of my worries. If the offense is
this bad, I would agree with you, 6-10. It wasn't the defense that made this
team 14-2 last year.

it was week 3 of the pre season, no need to panic.. however some things bear watching...

Brady short arming recivers was alarming, as was the protection again, seemed like the jets game all over again..

Leigh Boden is a very valuable asset to this team....

the saftey play is a maj concern

i think ocho will be fine..but the brandon tate era is over ...

all in all it was a off night glad it happened in week 3 of pre season and not reg season, not going to over react.. the team is going to be in a funk for the first month , there were no ota's mini camps and etc .. so this is a work in progress, the defense didnt show the full hand.. so there is no need to panic

Apparently no one remember week 3 of last preseason. lol. It was nearly as ugly.

This game was vanilla to the core. Everyone makes a big deal about this being the closest thing to a real game we'll see before Sept 12th, there looked to be less game planning than the previous 2 weeks.

Put the panic buttons away.

Hernandez looked mighty good last night. Gronk made a some nice catches as well. I really do not know who to take for my facebook fantast salary cap team. Aaron is 10m Gronk is 11m any tips I have switched the 2 o much and i have GRONK currently

Just as I suspected TATE is OUT of here:)

Edelman makes the Tate loss insignificant. Tate is a 1 trick Pony and he was BRUTAL at returning KO's last night. Edelman looked good in that role.

I was disappointed w/ some dropped passes by Ocho. I realize he has to get use to this new scheme and QB. I like ocho a great deal and I am very impressed w/ his calm body language as he talks to Brady b/c the guy is trying to learn I really like this truth.

I think Ocho will get in sync soon enough.

Welker was Welker... it is good to see how he said he is "FINE"

I really think BB wanted us to lose last night. Just not as severely. This will help us moving forward

Last edited:

Just got done re-watching the game.

• Synopsis: Brady was terrible last night. He had time in the first half with a wide open Welker and Woodhead on several plays and he plain blew the throws. Looked neurotic and scared well before the Lions actually did start getting to him later in the game. Yes, Vollmer was beaten like a rented mule on multiple plays but Brady is the main culprit here, taking too long to get rid of the ball and 'scrambling' when there was no need to several times.
  • How does someone look Neurotic? :confused: And if he looks That Neurotic maybe we should just cut him and give the job to Mallet. Wadda you say?

Last edited:

I hope Ocho sits for a few weeks learning the system, he was a detriment on some plays last night. When he got called for Offensive PI because a defender initiated contact and took him off of his feet it's like he left the game.

I'd rather see Price or Edelman play until Ocho proves he can be on the same page and can be more productive. I want to see Ocho playing with the backups on Thursday as well. He needs as much time as possible in the offense. He hasn't looked good.

The ref's certainly didn't help the offense at all last night. The PI on Ocho, Woodhead gets tackled before the ball even gets to the DEFENDERS back (no flag), Suh punched Mankins in the face (flag on NE!), etc. I think I recall a helmet to helmet hit on a Patriot receiver too that wasn't called.

I hope those ref's take a good look at how awful they did their job. It's inexcusable to let something like that happen in a real game.

All that nonsense combined with being a totally vanilla game plan = preseason. Those in panic mode need to relax, take a deep breath, and don't hurt yourselves. This team will be more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe