Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When would you like the Patriots to draft Spencer Rattler?

• 2nd round

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd round

• 4th round

• 5th round

• 6th round

• 7th round

• Only as an undrafted rookie free agent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
How about Dropping down to #11 and #23 and a 2025 first. Taking a blue chipper WR or LT and Drafting Rattler , whom I feel will not get out of Round two, perhaps at #34?
DW brings up an interesting option. Trading out of 3. Accumulating high picks from the Vikings. And drafting the guy last seen pouting like a spoiled brat on the sidelines when Caleb Williams led the Sooners to victory over Texas?

Turns out Spencer Rattler has matured a great deal. And he just might a sleeper of this draft.

Dig deeper, Patriots. Every stone unturned.

It would suck if Spencer Rattler is the best QB of this draft, taken sixth or seventh. It’s happened before.

DW brings up an interesting option. Trading out of 3. Accumulating high picks from the Vikings. And drafting the guy last seen pouting like a spoiled brat on the sidelines when Caleb Williams led the Sooners to victory over Texas?

Turns out Spencer Rattler has matured a great deal. And he just might a sleeper of this draft.

It would suck if Spencer Rattler is the best QB of this draft, taken sixth or seventh. It’s happened before.
The Spencer six

Definitely underrated. Phil Perry did a long Next Pats podcast on him today actually. Massive arm strength, has all the “off platform throw” ability teams love these days. Played in a pro style offense with pro route concepts. Offensive line was total dogshit and he got abused relentlessly, had to get creative constantly to have any hope of making plays. Has gone through a lot personally and does seem to be very humble now. Huge hands for his height - almost 10 inch hands - mega sized for his height, very beneficial for playing in the elements.

Downsides - very small, only 6 feet tall. Maturity issues in the past even if he seems to be past them.

I personally like him, he’s not a sexy pick at all but he could probably start very quickly and be reasonably successful. I don’t think he’s much worse than Penix and doesn’t have the injury concerns. He’s just small unfortunately. It wouldn’t be my first choice but I also wouldn’t hate it. Depends on all the other moves made.

Their evaluation is everything and hey gave to keep the political fallout out of their decision-making.

If they prefer Maye or Daniels, draft whoever is standing at 3.
If McCarthy, maybe move down a bit.

If Penix or Rattler, trade out.

If they’re all graded evenly, trade out and collect some talent.

But I really hope they do what they believe is best for the team, which might not be what is safest for the guys picking.

Can't trust him. Dude's a snake
14364902578159.jpg

A snake or the next Snake?

6’ tall
That’s why we need 6’4” Drake Maye at 3.

Blind side covered by Calvin Anderson or that Pittsburgh castoff instead of the Penn State LT stud.

Throwing to BoneyT at the X receiver spot instead of Adonai Mitchell.

Got it.

How many wins for the Bucs with 6’1” Baker Mayfield?

That’s why we need 6’4” Drake Maye at 3.

Blind side covered by Calvin Anderson or that Pittsburgh castoff instead of the Penn State LT stud.

Throwing to BoneyT at the X receiver spot instead of Adonai Mitchell.

Got it.

How many wins for the Bucs with 6’1” Baker Mayfield?
So Baker Mayfield is his ceiling. Got it.

Heck, you might as well send a 5th to Jacksonville and get Mac Jones back.

I thought it was rather dubious to dump Jones for a bag of balls before the draft. He would have been a serviceable QB if you got him the tools and protection so you could concentrate on OL and WR in the draft instead of being desperate for a QB. I know you guys are going to rip me another one for suggesting this, but it is early in the morning and I am not awake yet...just a crazy thought, but because of the pathetic off season, the Patriots are in desperate straits going into the draft and will have to deal from a position of weakness.

Not sold on Rattler, but I'm generally of the philosophy that you either take one of the high end guys at 3, or you take a flyer in round 3 (or later), build the rest of the roster, and see what the QB landscape (draft or FA) looks like in 2025. Then you just keep doing that until something sticks. I don't like the idea of drafting a QB at 34. Feels like at that point you're taking a guy that, if he was any good, some team would trade up to take him in the first for the 5th year option. I'd rather use that asset on another position, and grab a QB lottery ticket later.

That said, my first choice is still QB at 3. I think you have a better chance of landing the franchise QB there while hitting on longer shots at OT and WR later, than they other way around.

Heck, you might as well send a 5th to Jacksonville and get Mac Jones back.

I thought it was rather dubious to dump Jones for a bag of balls before the draft. He would have been a serviceable QB if you got him the tools and protection so you could concentrate on OL and WR in the draft instead of being desperate for a QB. I know you guys are going to rip me another one for suggesting this, but it is early in the morning and I am not awake yet...just a crazy thought, but because of the pathetic off season, the Patriots are in desperate straits going into the draft and will have to deal from a position of weakness.
Strictly from a football standpoint, you have a defensible point.

However, after how Jones performed last year, constantly turtling and demonstrating he's not a capable leader of an NFL offense, I doubt many fans would tolerate the team saying, "Hey, we think Mac Jones is our best option for the team as a whole"-- despite having 4-6 QBs in the draft who are probably better than Mac, and maybe 3 with elite ceilings -- "so we're going to bring him back and not pick any of those other guys." And if any who could have been drafted at 3 turn out to be good QBs, it will just be a PR nightmare and the last thing the team needs. I doubt it would fly, even with Brissette instead of Jones. They have to pick a QB.

Strictly from a football standpoint, you have a defensible point.

However, after how Jones performed last year, constantly turtling and demonstrating he's not a capable leader of an NFL offense, I doubt many fans would tolerate the team saying, "Hey, we think Mac Jones is our best option for the team as a whole"-- despite having 4-6 QBs in the draft who are probably better than Mac, and maybe 3 with elite ceilings -- "so we're going to bring him back and not pick any of those other guys." And if any who could have been drafted at 3 turn out to be good QBs, it will just be a PR nightmare and the last thing the team needs. I doubt it would fly, even with Brissette instead of Jones. They have to pick a QB.

Yea, if the Patriots went back to Mac, the fans would descend on Gillette with pitchforks and flaming torches like the villagers below castle Frankenstein. But Mac is (was) a very good QB with the right cast. I just don't want to have them waste a first on a clone of Mac.

Someone who is highly mobile (Daniels) or elusive in the pocket (Maye? JJ?) would be acceptable at 3, otherwise trade back. I also don't want the Patriots to pick a fancy QB at 3 and give him no support and ruin him like they did to Mac.

I thought it was rather dubious to dump Jones for a bag of balls before the draft.
I was hoping for something more, too. Like trading him to the Jets for Zach Wilson. Straight up.

So Baker Mayfield is his ceiling. Got it.
Eliot Wolf was very high on him when he was with the Browns. Similar size.

And you are making the point that getting Rattler at 68, top of the third round, who looks like he can compete as if he were a first-rounder.

Definitely underrated. Phil Perry did a long Next Pats podcast on him today actually. Massive arm strength, has all the “off platform throw” ability teams love these days. Played in a pro style offense with pro route concepts. Offensive line was total dogshit and he got abused relentlessly, had to get creative constantly to have any hope of making plays. Has gone through a lot personally and does seem to be very humble now. Huge hands for his height - almost 10 inch hands - mega sized for his height, very beneficial for playing in the elements.
You nailed it, Ross. Here’s the informative Phil Perry podcast.

Rattler with hands nearly 10”. Why hasn’t anyone talked about JJ McCarthy’s TINY 9” hands? An inch and half smaller than Brady’s.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back