PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats interested in Josh Rosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady has proven that statement to be false. Good mechanics DOES improve arm strength

Tom Brady's proven a lot of statements false but I'll stick with the balance of probability over the odds of finding another Brady. Brady's arm strength wasn't phenomenal coming out of college but it wasn't awful either. The problem with Lauletta is that he turned the ball over a number of times because he couldn't make a throw, and that was at the mid-tier FCS level.

He's going to be drafted in the top 20 picks.

He may be. But he's clearly looked at as at least a step below the top 4. He's tier 2 in this draft.

Even NFL coaches sometimes don't understand the importance of arm strength. The Bills HC McDermott loves Peterman because of his quick release and knowledge of the game.

But if you watch him play, he doesn't throw ALL those INTs because he's making poor decisions. A lot of those INTs are just a lack of arm strength. He's trying to throw an out in the NFL and the CB is breaking on the ball as he's throwing it. Ball takes forever to get out there.

He can't get away with what he's getting away with in college, or in practice.

I love draft time.

They must have people in rooms dreaming up rumors to release to the media. Inside tips.

Per Adam Schefter:

Patriots are “more likely than not” looking to move up in draft to select Hofstra QB Giovanni Carmazzi.
You laugh but this is the joke that
Even NFL coaches sometimes don't understand the importance of arm strength. The Bills HC McDermott loves Peterman because of his quick release and knowledge of the game.

But if you watch him play, he doesn't throw ALL those INTs because he's making poor decisions. A lot of those INTs are just a lack of arm strength. He's trying to throw an out in the NFL and the CB is breaking on the ball as he's throwing it. Ball takes forever to get out there.

What Quarterbacks in this draft do you feel have NFL arm

Tom Savage and Peterman stand out to me as the guys who got a shot in the last couple years who just clearly didn't have the arm to play in the NFL.

Tom Savage and Peterman stand out to me as the guys who got a shot in the last couple years who just clearly didn't have the arm to play in the NFL.

O.K. Cousins. I am girding my loins for battle.

I don't want to waste a top pick on a QB this year. How does that help TB in the next year or two? Nor if BB's rein is over at the same time.
That's Josh's problem.

There might be a guy I would take a shot with because he did win in the NFL and who knows if the big 4 in this QB class defecate themselves in their initial outings.

I actually think there is a young QB we can get who has not been given a fair chance and had a few early injury issues as I recall.

The supposed guru QB GM selected this guy in the first round and hired a coach who would not know a QB if he was run over by one in the Team parking lot. As a matter of fact said spiffy GM said he is not done on his Team....right!

This GM has made his affections know to the top QB's in this Draft class So where does it leave this former #1 Draft pick QB?

But I say they will trade him. A 6th might do it. Worth a shot. He does have some measurables and talents.

Lets take Rosens stats:

Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
UCLA Pac-12 FR QB 13 292 487 60.0 3669 7.5 7.5 23 11 134.3
2016 UCLA Pac-12 SO QB 6 137 231 59.3 1915 8.3 8.2 10 5 138.9
*2017 UCLA Pac-12 JR QB 11 283 452 62.6 3756 8.3 8.5 26 10 147.0
Career UCLA

Now Paxton Lynch

Passing
Year
Memphis American FR QB 12 203 349 58.2 2056 5.9 5.1 9 10 110.4
*2014 Memphis American SO QB 13 259 413 62.7 3031 7.3 7.4 22 9 137.6
*2015 Memphis American JR QB 13 296 443 66.8 3776 8.5 9.4 28 4 157.5
Career Memphis

Can Josh tune Paxton Lynch up?

At least the kid has faced the likes of The Jags Defense and more in a regular game.

Look at Aikman or Elways first few games. Elway needs to win now. He has no patience to let a kid develop. He put three young kids on a merry go round.

Much rather spend a low pick and gamble then a high pick and gamble unless said QB is Wentz.

Would drive a stake in Elway's heart if we develop him as TB replacement.

O.K. I am ducking....thoughts?
DW Toys

Last edited:
I don’t watch a lot of college football and am no expert, but I thought Rosen was clearly a great NFL prospect in the few UCLA games I saw. Great pocket presence, mechanics, and quick release. I was bewildered about the hype with Darnold, who possessed none of those skills. Rosen’s demeanor and personality (based on reports) remind me a lot of Rodgers.

I don’t watch a lot of college football and am no expert, but I thought Rosen was clearly a great NFL prospect in the few UCLA games I saw. Great pocket presence, mechanics, and quick release. I was bewildered about the hype with Darnold, who possessed none of those skills. Rosen’s demeanor and personality (based on reports) remind me a lot of Rodgers.

Browns will likely ruin darnold if they draft him. I do like rosen much better though.

No kidding about Josh Rosen not being available at 23 :rolleyes: (in other news the sky is blue). The whole point of the thread is to suggest that pats may trade up for Rosen or similar QB. You may not like the idea of the pats trading up, but the rumor is out there.

So what ?

There are rumors on literally anything. I am sure I can find you some tweets that rumor that Gronk is in reality a lizard creature from another dimension.

It makes not much sense for the Patriots to trade up into the top 10 for a QB in a rare year where they actually have the picks to restock a lot of the overall roster. Screw rumors and apply some reason to the situation. Since the team doesn't need a QB right away but has the benefit to develop him like they did JG there is not much point in giving up so many assets just to get a more pro ready player.

I don't want to waste a top pick on a QB this year. How does that help TB in the next year or two? Nor if BB's rein is over at the same time.

BB is not close to be done and is not in the business of making Brady happy but building a sustainable roster beyond Brady. So it really doesn't matter what will help Brady in the next 1-2 years on some level. If you are looking at the draft through that lense you will most certainly be disappointed.

If this was about loading up for a Brady endgame you would see the Patriots do what the Rams are doing. Selling out for a window of about 2 years and a sudden fall into mediocrity afterwards.

And I'm interested in JLO. That doesn't mean I'm getting her.

Pats are scouting everybody, that's called due diligence.

I predict a less than 0.01% chance we move up to draft this kid, because it would take a Herschel Walker offer to move up to the Brown's #1 pick and BB is no chump.

O.K. Cousins. I am girding my loins for battle.

That's Josh's problem.

There might be a guy I would take a shot with because he did win in the NFL and who knows if the big 4 in this QB class defecate themselves in their initial outings.

I actually think there is a young QB we can get who has not been given a fair chance and had a few early injury issues as I recall.

The supposed guru QB GM selected this guy in the first round and hired a coach who would not know a QB if he was run over by one in the Team parking lot. As a matter of fact said spiffy GM said he is not done on his Team....right!

This GM has made his affections know to the top QB's in this Draft class So where does it leave this former #1 Draft pick QB?

But I say they will trade him. A 6th might do it. Worth a shot. He does have some measurables and talents.

Lets take Rosens stats:

Passing
Year
UCLA Pac-12 FR QB 13 292 487 60.0 3669 7.5 7.5 23 11 134.3
2016 UCLA Pac-12 SO QB 6 137 231 59.3 1915 8.3 8.2 10 5 138.9
*2017 UCLA Pac-12 JR QB 11 283 452 62.6 3756 8.3 8.5 26 10 147.0
Career UCLA

Now Paxton Lynch

Passing
Year
Memphis American FR QB 12 203 349 58.2 2056 5.9 5.1 9 10 110.4
*2014 Memphis American SO QB 13 259 413 62.7 3031 7.3 7.4 22 9 137.6
*2015 Memphis American JR QB 13 296 443 66.8 3776 8.5 9.4 28 4 157.5
Career Memphis

Can Josh tune Paxton Lynch up?

At least the kid has faced the likes of The Jags Defense and more in a regular game.

Look at Aikman or Elways first few games. Elway needs to win now. He has no patience to let a kid develop. He put three young kids on a merry go round.

Much rather spend a low pick and gamble then a high pick and gamble unless said QB is Wentz.

Would drive a stake in Elway's heart if we develop him as TB replacement.

O.K. I am ducking....thoughts?
DW Toys
I said the same thing a few days ago I was laughed out the building.
Great minds think alike.

Lombardi said he wasn’t impressed by Mayfield’s Georgia game. Lolwut?

Lombardi said he wasn’t impressed by Mayfield’s Georgia game. Lolwut?

Maybe he meant 2nd half? But that could’ve been the conservative playcalling once OU built a sizable lead.

Mayfield is one of the 2 I like near the top (josh Allen being the other). Not sure I would pay the price to move into the top 5. If he’s there around 10 I would think long and hard about jumping Miami to get him.

Wait until QB hysteria reaches peak in a week or two. Thats when the "Belichick is coveting Saquon Barkley" rumor drops.

BB is not close to be done and is not in the business of making Brady happy but building a sustainable roster beyond Brady. So it really doesn't matter what will help Brady in the next 1-2 years on some level. If you are looking at the draft through that lense you will most certainly be disappointed.

If this was about loading up for a Brady endgame you would see the Patriots do what the Rams are doing. Selling out for a window of about 2 years and a sudden fall into mediocrity afterwards.
Super Bowl odds will never be higher for any team at any point in NFL history than with Tom Brady playing at the level he's currently at. Championships are the goal, which is a team one. The odds of them hitting the QB jackpot with someone who they could smoothly transition to and still be Super Bowl contenders post-Brady era are wildly slim. It's simply not that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back