PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tampering" is indeed legal for the last three days of the season. However, this tampering is legal only with regard to contacting free agents.

Revis is not a free agent. Media folks who know of actual contacts should report this to league offices. Patriot fans have made a big deal of open statements of the obvious by a stupid owner. Actual behind the scenes discussions with Revis are clearly illegal.

Yet NOBODY in the media outside of Curran seems to care

"Tampering" is indeed legal for the last three days of the season. However, this tampering is legal only with regard to contacting free agents.

Revis is not a free agent. Media folks who know of actual contacts should report this to league offices. Patriot fans have made a big deal of open statements of the obvious by a stupid owner. Actual behind the scenes discussions with Revis are clearly illegal.

What has been going on today is not legal. There are specific rules that teams cannot make official offers or talk more than generalities on what they might offer. If the deals with Suh, Maxwell, Gore, etc. are true, it is 100% illegal and should be investigated.

As Revis, here is what Reiss has said.

In response to a Tweet saying the Jets cannot contact Revis because he isn't a free agent:

@mpc12pats Technically, they can not talk to Revis. But both sides have expectation that teams will & they will know market by March 9-10.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/574297581787938816

@bceagle76 Technically true. But assumed that contact will take place regardless.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/574258960389271553

From Florio:

The Revis camp likely will know what other teams would pay Revis, if he becomes a free agent. Technically tampering, it’s become common for agents to “gauge the market” when faced with a Door No. 1/Door No. 2 dilemma.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

I know I got a lot of crap in the other thread when I said that I don't expect a huge penalty to the Jets for Johnson's comments because of the league's stance on tampering, but it is quite clear the tampering rules are a farce. Everyone breaks them and everyone knows they do. This is the first year that teams don't even give a crap and just seem to admit they break the tampering rules.

Yet NOBODY in the media outside of Curran seems to care

In fairness, Florio has said something about the blatant cheating that is going on with the tampering rules on Twitter:

Teams have gone from hiding under the bed over the NFL's no-offers mandate to giving the league office the double-barreled middle finger.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/574676059821641728

So much for teams not making offers during the three-day negotiating window. When will the Ted Wells investigation begin?

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/574675350443147265

As Florio now tweets once again the League Office is exposed as (a) incompetent (b) clueless (c) hypocrites. Can it get any worse?

FIRE GOODELL NOW!!!

I can tell you from personal experience that "Miquel" does not like his name butchered. :(
I would not try and Butcher someone's name. I am a 55 year old grown man. If it is 14 million against the cap or 14 million this year is not butchering anyone. The cap figure is what it comes down to in this league. That is all I was trying to state.

Miquel stated to me on one of my comments of the 14 million figure. I respect his knowledge and thanked him for it.

Being a season ticket holder for 22 years I keep up with the Pats on this forum. Many have great insight. Many are like spoiled little brats arguing back and forth. Sometimes it gets much.

I visit Miquel's page often and he does yoeman's work. Stating I butchered someone's name or shown some form of disrespect with my quote is so strange to me.

Thought we were all Pats fans and share our views. This is feeling really childish.

As Florio now tweets once again the League Office is exposed as (a) incompetent (b) clueless (c) hypocrites. Can it get any worse?

FIRE GOODELL NOW!!!

The answer to your question of can it get any worse is an obvious YES!!! With this league office, the odds of things getting worse is always high.

I would not try and Butcher someone's name. I am a 55 year old grown man. If it is 14 million against the cap or 14 million this year is not butchering anyone. The cap figure is what it comes down to in this league. That is all I was trying to state.

Miquel stated to me on one of my comments of the 14 million figure. I respect his knowledge and thanked him for it.

Being a season ticket holder for 22 years I keep up with the Pats on this forum. Many have great insight. Many are like spoiled little brats arguing back and forth. Sometimes it gets much.

I visit Miquel's page often and he does yoeman's work. Stating I butchered someone's name or shown some form of disrespect with my quote is so strange to me.

Thought we were all Pats fans and share our views. This is feeling really childish.

It's MIGUEL!!!!

:)

What has been going on today is not legal. There are specific rules that teams cannot make official offers or talk more than generalities on what they might offer. If the deals with Suh, Maxwell, Gore, etc. are true, it is 100% illegal and should be investigated.

As Revis, here is what Reiss has said.

In response to a Tweet saying the Jets cannot contact Revis because he isn't a free agent:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/574297581787938816

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/574258960389271553

From Florio:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

I know I got a lot of crap in the other thread when I said that I don't expect a huge penalty to the Jets for Johnson's comments because of the league's stance on tampering, but it is quite clear the tampering rules are a farce. Everyone breaks them and everyone knows they do. This is the first year that teams don't even give a crap and just seem to admit they break the tampering rules.

There has always been some tampering but this does seem a bit ridiculous.

There has always been some tampering but this does seem a bit ridiculous.

I think the last week in general seems to be the worst cases of tampering I have ever seen. I know tampering has always been the creepy uncle that no one in the family talks about. Everyone knows he is doing some shady things, but they just pretend that he doesn't exist. This year though teams seem to just flaunt the fact that they are tampering and everyone are just ok with it.

I think the Revis tampering is bad, but no worse than the Dolphins basically having a deal in place for Suh last week and shedding players to get the cap space to sign him.

Yeah, it's just a difference of opinion, so I certainly don't mean to come off as argumentative. I just look at the article and see nothing more than speculation within reason, especially with the wording of "for example" after both of his projections. To me, it's as close to a puff piece as you can come, without talking about the team mascot or its head cheerleader.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Revis is likely to command something between 2-3 yrs fully guaranteed when you assume that the CB market is going to pay him between 12-15 million per year, so I don't think Florio is simply "pulling numbers out of his ass" as you say. I think he's got a fairly easy range to go by. I think most of us would project Revis' guaranteed money to be anywhere between 30-45 million dollars.

Either way, we all hope that you're right and Revis is re-signed soon! Go Pats! :)
Agreed just a difference of opinion, at the very least there is no BAD news out yet which means Revis' camp is still playing by the Pats rulebook. 24 hours and hopefully this is all over with both McCourty and Revis back!

I think the last week in general seems to be the worst cases of tampering I have ever seen. I know tampering has always been the creepy uncle that no one in the family talks about. Everyone knows he is doing some shady things, but they just pretend that he doesn't exist. This year though teams seem to just flaunt the fact that they are tampering and everyone are just ok with it.

I think the Revis tampering is bad, but no worse than the Dolphins basically having a deal in place for Suh last week and shedding players to get the cap space to sign him.

Totally disagree. Suh is a free agent and can talk to teams - the specific details might not be in place.

Revis is NOT a free agent, so the Patriots have to still decide whether or not to pick up his option - for all we know the Jets could just be leaking crap trying to get the Pats to cough up 20mil for Revis.

Having a guy with an option gives you EXCLUSIVE rights to talk to him unless you let him go. We haven't. What the JEST are going is many times worse.

Should they go out and say they're going to pay Solder top of the market too, since we have to decide on him by Tuesday? They are hurting the bargaining power of a team with EXCLUSIVE rights to bargain. It is clearly tampering.

I think its more likely that the Patriots get punished for tampering with Revis than the Jets do LOL

Totally disagree. Suh is a free agent and can talk to teams - the specific details might not be in place.

Revis is NOT a free agent, so the Patriots have to still decide whether or not to pick up his option - for all we know the Jets could just be leaking crap trying to get the Pats to cough up 20mil for Revis.

Having a guy with an option gives you EXCLUSIVE rights to talk to him unless you let him go. We haven't. What the JEST are going is many times worse.

Should they go out and say they're going to pay Solder top of the market too, since we have to decide on him by Tuesday? They are hurting the bargaining power of a team with EXCLUSIVE rights to bargain. It is clearly tampering.

Suh can talk to teams, but not negotiate deals. The fact by all accounts there is a deal in place means the Dolphins cheated. It is just as bad. Breaking tampering rules is the same no matter the situation.

I'm probably the only one who doesn't give a crap about tampering on this board. If it means players get paid more (or at least have more leeway to set the terms of their next contract, if they value something more than money), more power to them.

In fairness, Florio has said something about the blatant cheating that is going on with the tampering rules on Twitter

My views on tampering aside, Florio's been one of the few media voices banging the tampering drum for as long as his blog's been in existence. I have a vague recollection that back before he was a major media personality, his blog was actually instrumental in revealing a lot of tampering in the 03-05 timeframe.

I thought that teams controlling a player's contract could (if they wanted to) allow the player to talk to other teams to gauge their market. Isn't this what happened with Deion Branch in 2006?

In fact, I think the Pats actually *want* Revis to be reaching out to other teams at this point. It will allow the *Patriots* to get a sense of the market - and be able to move on from Revis ASAP if that's what's in the cards. That way it won't mess up their plan B. I'm thinking about what happened with Welker and Amendola in 2013.

I get if reports like "he will likely sign with" come out but contract details coming out is just mocking the league's legal tamper period.

And the Revis stuff is the most egregious. Guy isn't even technically a FA. At least pre-face the reports with "if the Pats end up declining the option"

Last edited:
My views on tampering aside, Florio's been one of the few media voices banging the tampering drum for as long as his blog's been in existence. I have a vague recollection that back before he was a major media personality, his blog was actually instrumental in revealing a lot of tampering in the 03-05 timeframe.

Florio bangs every drum. That's his method for drawing readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back