PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sidy Sow - Conflicting Opinions

Agreed that it's not a shot.

Given the above, BB stop-gapped the development ANY rookie lineman would need and got a seasoned, great-attitude vet, Reiff (wonder if he can extend his career at Guard, as some CBs do with Safety), another vet in Anderson, who started 7 games last year and did well, and McDermott, who is a capable backup at RT.
it wasn't too long ago that BB STARTED 2 rookie OLmen, and that didn't work out too badly (Thuney and Mason). If they are good enough Bill has shown NO reluctance to play them. Both Owenu and Strange look like they will come back next week and we SHOULD get a better feel for the OL then and just where Mafi and Sow are in the rotation.

honestly, while the OL has been taking shots all summer, there have been bits and pieces of something positive here or there for those that have participated, other than Reiff. the local guys have not been optimistic on him at all. I doubt they have an axe to grind with him. by all accounts he is the type of player we all love playing here. perhaps he is really finished?
Local media is always very pessimistic. They don’t need to know a guy to have an ax to grind with him.

I never saw Sow in college, but it seems he played LT his redshirt frosh season. his soph season he played LG and stayed at G throughout the rest of his college career.
I stand by my comments, he is not yet ready game 1. but he might be the best option regardless, which it appears is the case.
I fully expect Sow to improve. even though he is 25 years old, he still has upside. but in my opinion, the jump from eastern Mich LG to NFL RT is difficult, and Sow's technique needs work.
we saw Wynn struggle moving from LT to RT with his footwork.
from what has been reported, Sow has similar issues with his initial step
Thuney, Onwenu, Strange, Solder…. the list of OL who started as rookies is longer than I can list without taking up this entire page. He didn’t have to be ready for week one weeks ago when you said it, he needs to be ready weeks from now.

Sow is going up against Matt Judon in practice, he has the best teacher he could hope for. According to reports there were passes of 40 and 50 yards today in joint practices, sounds like the OT’s are holding up well.

Last edited:
Thuney, Onwenu, Strange, Solder…. the list of OL who started as rookies is longer than I can list without taking up this entire page. He didn’t have to ready for week one weeks ago when you said it, he needs to be ready weeks from now.

Sow is going up against Matt Judon in practice, he has the best teacher he could hope for. According to reports there were passes of 40 and 50 yards today in joint practices, sounds like the OT’s are holding up well.
Or maybe Zeke was helping in max pro?

Thuney, Onwenu, Strange, Solder…. the list of OL who started as rookies is longer than I can list without taking up this entire page. He didn’t have to ready for week one weeks ago when you said it, he needs to be ready weeks from now.

got it. because Thuney, Onwenu played well at the jump, Sow will too. great logic.
Solder did not start year 1
STrange did not play well last season. he was benched at one point.
but you keep being you.

got it. because Thuney, Onwenu played well at the jump, Sow will too. great logic.
Solder did not start year 1
STrange did not play well last season. he was benched at one point.
but you keep being you.
Sow is already playing with the 1’s… I’m not making a guess and don’t need logic.You are wrong so far.

Strange played the third most offensive snaps on the entire team last season. Strange didn’t get benched, he got taken aside, taught what he did wrong and instantly reinserted in the game… oh yeah, and Matt Patricia was his line coach. Strange played well on a bad offense.

But you keep being you… wrong.

Sow is already playing with the 1’s… I’m not making a guess and don’t need logic.You are wrong so far.

Strange played the third most offensive snaps on the entire team last season. Strange didn’t get benched, he got taken aside, taught what he did wrong and instantly reinserted in the game… oh yeah, and Matt Patricia was his line coach. Strange played well on a bad offense.

But you keep being you… wrong.
Individual talent is not as critical as other parts of the team, the OL will succeed or fail as a unit. Scar was able to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Klemm has to be better than MP.

Individual talent is not as critical as other parts of the team, the OL will succeed or fail as a unit. Scar was able to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Klemm has to be better than MP.
The Patriots O-Line had some talent over the last twenty years… not exactly crap.

Last edited:
The Patriots O-Line had some talent over the last twenty years… not exactly crap.
Over the 20 years there were some where the talent was very thin when injuries hit the OL hard. The point was that a line that plays well together as a unit can overcome talent deficiencies. Sorry I wasn't specific enough for you.

Over the 20 years there were some where the talent was very thin when injuries hit the OL hard. The point was that a line that plays well together as a unit can overcome talent deficiencies. Sorry I wasn't specific enough for you.
While I agree, the five starters and a few backups on this 2023 team are very talented. Klemm just has to get them playing together and on time.

Shouldn't be hard, they have a healthy David Andrews in the pivot, and he's like a coach on the field.

While I agree, the five starters and a few backups on this 2023 team are very talented. Klemm just has to get them playing together and on time.

Shouldn't be hard, they have a healthy David Andrews in the pivot, and he's like a coach on the field.
My point is that playing as a unit is more important than individual talent for an OL which comes down to coaching. I am not sure why you feel that this opinion is a negative reflection on the players themselves. This is not a radical concept, Scar has made this point many times. FWIW, agree that there are talented players on this years team. I don't understand the Strange hate, he held his own as a rookie under difficult circumstances.

My point is that playing as a unit is more important than individual talent for an OL which comes down to coaching. I am not sure why you feel that this opinion is a negative reflection on the players themselves. This is not a radical concept, Scar has made this point many times. FWIW, agree that there are talented players on this years team. I don't understand the Strange hate, he held his own as a rookie under difficult circumstances.
I do not believe there is "hate" with regards to Strange. I feel the better word is disappointment. he was a #1 draft choice, and with it comes some expectations. granted, any and every rookie will have some first year issues and growing pains. I thought Strange did just that, but all in all he was fine. and that's the rub with him. he is 25 years old. he most likely has physically matured, and he is what he is. nothing about him says he will be a stud OL in the league. he will be a fine G in this league for a long while. is that what you want from your #1 draft pick?

I do not believe there is "hate" with regards to Strange. I feel the better word is disappointment. he was a #1 draft choice, and with it comes some expectations. granted, any and every rookie will have some first year issues and growing pains. I thought Strange did just that, but all in all he was fine. and that's the rub with him. he is 25 years old. he most likely has physically matured, and he is what he is. nothing about him says he will be a stud OL in the league. he will be a fine G in this league for a long while. is that what you want from your #1 draft pick?
You’re ridiculous. He started every game, he played Cam Heyward, easily one of the best DE’s in the NFL, to a standstill. You just want to say BB sucks… like you always do.

You’re ridiculous. He started every game, he played Cam Heyward, easily one of the best DE’s in the NFL, to a standstill. You just want to say BB sucks… like you always do.
what does that have to do with anything?

are you going to sit there and tell me in 3 years Strange will be any better than Sow, Maffi or J Andrews?
Or that Strange will be a pro bowl dominating OG like Thuney?
if you see that in him, fine. I hope you are right.
I have not seen that in him, and think we wont.

Time will tell. Guard is not a glamorous position, only the mistakes are visible. Strange has demonstrated toughness and a willingness to work hard. Starting from game 1 puts him ahead of most high draft picks despite the bad coaching. So far he is exactly what I would look for in a first round pick.

what does that have to do with anything?

are you going to sit there and tell me in 3 years Strange will be any better than Sow, Maffi or J Andrews?
Or that Strange will be a pro bowl dominating OG like Thuney?
if you see that in him, fine. I hope you are right.
I have not seen that in him, and think we wont.
You didn’t think Thuney would be a dominating OG as a rookie, give me a break. Strange is every bit the athlete Thuney is.

Time will tell. Guard is not a glamorous position, only the mistakes are visible. Strange has demonstrated toughness and a willingness to work hard. Starting from game 1 puts him ahead of most high draft picks despite the bad coaching. So far he is exactly what I would look for in a first round pick.
While I agree Strange is hard working and should be a starter his entire contract, it seems the team gets guys like that on day 3 or later over the past decade or so. Thuney. Shaq. Onwenu. Karras. LArsen. Cannon.
If the team is using a #1 at OG, I want a sure fire pro bowl player. a stud. a top 3 in the league through out his contract.
I do not see that in Strange.
Don't get me wrong. if he is Karras, Shaq or Cannon, level, thats great. but not at the #1 draft pick spot.

You didn’t think Thuney would be a dominating OG as a rookie, give me a break. Strange is every bit the athlete Thuney is.
no. I did not think Thuney would be as great as he became.
but he was a day 3 pick, not a day 1 pick, which makes my point.
If STrange was a day 3 pick and an immediate starter, solid OG thru his contract, I am happy as can be. but as a day 1 pick? not really. sorry.

no. I did not think Thuney would be as great as he became.
but he was a day 3 pick, not a day 1 pick, which makes my point.
If STrange was a day 3 pick and an immediate starter, solid OG thru his contract, I am happy as can be. but as a day 1 pick? not really. sorry.
You said Thuney was destined for the practice squad.... like Sow... sound familiar?

If anyone but BB made the Strange pick it would have been genius.

Again... you're ridiculous.

You said Thuney was destined for the practice squad.... like Sow... sound familiar?

If anyone but BB made the Strange pick it would have been genius.

Again... you're ridiculous.
genius picking an OG that is fine at #1 with a proven track record of getting OL players later in the draft, and a huge need at so many other positions?
I will never support an OG at #1 for any team. a T? yes. QB, WR, CB? yes. a RB (Sony?) no. a TE? maybe

MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Back