PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Great Derek Wolfe Debate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there we have it. Thanks to Wolfe's efforts and double teams he got, Cinci led the nation in sacks per game. But but but but, dont let that fool you. He's not that good.

Since when is being top 120 of all college players not good?

I will admit, I have not watched any of his games yet (on my to do list for the weekend) but reading other reputable sites gives me a vision of a guy like Mike Wright. Does that sound about fair?

Wolfe is already > Wright. How much better remains to be seen, of course.
Regardless, our late 3rd-rounder is the earliest I would consider him. Bill has no excuse
not to have already drafted a DE by then.

Well St. Louis is supposedly shopping the #2 overall pick so maybe we could offer them our two firsts, a 3rd and Hoyer?

Whoa?! He is top 10 3-4 DE? He is top 10 in the entire draft?

Top 10 entire draft, best DT in the draft, yes. Has the college production, size and combine numbers to back it up.

How are brockers and cox with their "amazing" 26 inch vertical and worse college production, rated above him, I'll never know.

How is Kendall Reyes, a guy who had less than half Wolfe's number of sacks, and a lot less TFLs, playing in the same conference and same position, rated above Wolfe, I'll never know.

Thanks to Wolfe's efforts, his team Cinci led the nation in sacks per game.
Yes, for me he is clearly the best DT in this draft.

Ok patsderoer, we get it. You're in the University of Cincinnati band.

Here's to hoping Wolfe gets drafted by Miami or Buffalo so we can watch Logan Mankins put him on his ass twice a year.

Here's to Pats drafting Wolfe and bequette, transforming their defense into one of the best pass rushing in the league, getting a lot of 3-and outs, and keeping Brady on the field as much as possible.

Top 10 entire draft, best DT in the draft, yes. Has the college production, size and combine numbers to back it up.

How are brockers and cox with their "amazing" 26 inch vertical and worse college production, rated above him, I'll never know.

How is Kendall Reyes, a guy who had less than half Wolfe's number of sacks, and a lot less TFLs, playing in the same conference and same position, rated above Wolfe, I'll never know.

Thanks to Wolfe's efforts, his team Cinci led the nation in sacks per game.
Yes, for me he is clearly the best DT in this draft.

Is there a difference in the competition they face?

Do they have different roles in the defense? For example, the job of a 3-4 DE is to eat up blockers so the linebackers can wreak havoc, a 4-3 DE is not supposed to eat up blockers in the same regard. If you just look at sacks when making that comparison you'd be misled because of that.

Stats do NOT provide context.

Have you looked at his film?

Well St. Louis is supposedly shopping the #2 overall pick so maybe we could offer them our two firsts, a 3rd and Hoyer?

You're assuming Wolfe will still be there at #2. ;)

Have you looked at his film?

Yes I have, and not only his highlights.
Here he is, against SEC competition. Derek Wolfe vs Vanderbilt 2011 - YouTube
Double teamed most of the time, still made plays in the backfield.

About competition, Reyes played the same competition, so the competition was mostly the same. Had half Wolfe's sacks and a lot less TFLs, but somehow he's projected way ahead of Wolfe. LOL.

Stats do provide PRODUCTION, thank you very much. You know, like in college production. Wolfe, while being mostly double teamed, like you see in that vid, still put up great production. BEAST.

Never said he was perfect, he needs improvement in technique and hands use, but then again, who doesnt. For me he's the best DT/DE prospect in this draft.

You're assuming Wolfe will still be there at #2. ;)

Just foolin', some. :D

Obviously, Wolfe will still be on the Board at #2, overall.

...What with Bequette going #1 overall...and all.
icon_smile.gif

Here's to Pats drafting Wolfe and bequette, transforming their defense into one of the best pass rushing in the league, getting a lot of 3-and outs, and keeping Brady on the field as much as possible.

Here's to the Pats drafting Wolfe & Bequette in the 3rd & 4th rounds, after they've already
drafted Fletcher Cox, Whitney Mercilus, Harrison Smith & Marvin Jones.

Yes I have, and not only his highlights.
Here he is, against SEC competition. Derek Wolfe vs Vanderbilt 2011 - YouTube
Double teamed most of the time, still made plays in the backfield.

About competition, Reyes played the same competition, so the competition was mostly the same. Had half Wolfe's sacks and a lot less TFLs, but somehow he's projected way ahead of Wolfe. LOL.

Stats do provide PRODUCTION, thank you very much. You know, like in college production. Wolfe, while being mostly double teamed, like you see in that vid, still put up great production. BEAST.

Never said he was perfect, he needs improvement in technique and hands use, but then again, who doesnt. For me he's the best DT/DE prospect in this draft.

Patsdoerer: Just a little advice. People here have asked some legitimate questions and you always seem to come off so defensive in your answers. There are a lot of people here who are willing to listen to your arguments but try and not come off so whiny all the time.

As for Wolfe, this thread got my attention so I watched the entire bowl game, not just highlights off of youtube. Everyone looks good on youtube. Here is my first impressions of your guy.

Pros: Hard working, high motor player who never gives up on plays. Has good bend at times. Smart guy who seems to recognize plays quickly and react,keeps his eyes up so he never takes himself out of plays. Strong upper body strength. Good burst off line when he is not blocked. Pretty good at the stack and shed on running plays.

Cons: Lower body strength looks like it needs to catch up to upper body strength. Plays a little high at times, gets his hands up on the top of shoulder pads of O-lineman instead of down in the chest. I did not see a ton of double teams, but when I did, he was completely taken out of that play. I thought he had trouble with Vanderbilt's RT but played much better lined up over the LT. I do not think he uses hands all that well. I did not see a club rip or punch the entire game.

Overall: In that one game, I can see why patsdoerer likes Wolfe. I do see a lot of positives in his game. I think the comparions of a more athletic version of Mike Wright is a good one. I think using Reyes stats with Wolfe's is not a fair comparison as they played 2 completely different styles of defense. Wolfe could be a nice pass rushing interior line option but he needs work to be an everydown player. He needs improvement in the run game for sure.

Here's to getting run on for 200+ yards a game and Brady never getting on the field.

What's the debate? He's a 4-5th round 3 tech prospect that can't two-gap end.

What's the debate? He's a 4-5th round 3 tech prospect that can't two-gap end.

Yeah, he's a 5th rounder, while a guy with half his production (Reyes) is a first round pick. Anybody with half a brain can see the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back