PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Great Derek Wolfe Debate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the Pats already have a very good NT. Time to pick up the next Justin Smith.

Justin Smith came into the NFL as a 267 pound 4-3 DE. That's probably not the example you want to use.

Justin Smith came into the NFL as a 267 pound 4-3 DE. That's probably not the example you want to use.

Yeah. He also played 43 LDE his entire time he was with Cincy. All he did was bulk up to 295~lbs. Because of that, he was able to play 34 DE w. the 49ers.

Ok seriously. Are you
a) Derek Wolfe
b) related to Derek Wolfe,
c) alumni of Cincy
d) his gf?

I just want the best players for the Pats, and it's clear that Wolfe is the best DT/DE in this class.
You apparently just want overrated players, who couldn't get it done against college level OLs.

Justin Smith is 6'4", 290 pound DE in a 3-4 defense. Justin Smith (American football) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thats exactly the example I wanted to use.

What Wolfe did in his highlights is very similar with what Smith did in that vid.
Derek Wolfe Highlight: 2011 Big East Defensive POY - YouTube

I see. You want to find the next 3-4 DE who is as good as Justin Smith, not literally the next Justin Smith, someone who follows the same career path. Never mind. Smith was just a very curious choice if you were comparing them as prospects, as Smith wasn't a 3-4 DE until he was 28.

Last edited:
I see. You want to find the next 3-4 DE who is as good as Justin Smith, not literally the next Justin Smith, someone who follows the same career path. Never mind. Smith was just a very curious choice if you were comparing them as prospects, as Smith wasn't a 3-4 DE until he was 28.

LOL it seems you have trouble understanding. I was talking about Justin Smith of this season, not comparing them as prospects.

LOL it seems you have trouble understanding. I was talking about Justin Smith of this season, not comparing them as prospects.

Well if we're looking for the next Justin Smith, can we find the next Revis and Ware while we're at it too?

Edit: Moss too. Can't forget Moss.

Last edited:
Well if we're looking for the next Justin Smith, can we find the next Revis and Ware while we're at it too?

Yes. Wolfe can play those spots too. He's that versatile!

Sure, why not.
Ware - Bequette
Revis - pats need a safety more than CB so I'll take Harrison Smith as a great safety.
Moss - Fleener big redzone threat, great hands, big size, great YPC(20)

What the hell are you watching?

All I see is that when he is 1 gapping, he is decent to good.
When I see him 2 gap, he either doesn't get any push or pressure and sometimes, he gets rolled on the Point of Attack.

I'm glad you see the same things I do. I think he could be a good player for a different team, but he doesn't fit here.

Thanks to Wolfe's efforts, Cinci led the nation in sacks per game.

That tells everyone with half a brain that Wolfe can get plenty of push and pressure in any situation, and he's a great player.

Can't argue with you, there.

But those of us with WHOLE brains have a different opinion of the lad. ;)

BS.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mcoles/Vertical_Jump_249894_7.pdf
The Vertical Jump event measures lower body strength

I could come up with hundreds of articles that point the connection between the vert and the lower body strength, it's enough to just google it.

Brockers and Cox poor verticals are confirmed on the field, as they are not very good pass rushers. Cox couldn't get sacks unless the QB ran into him, and brockers had to be taken out on 3rd downs.

Wolfe on the other hand had an excellent 33.5 vert, and the college production to back it up.

Excuse me, did I ever say that it doesn't measure lower body strength? It's sure not a measure of upper body strength, I just said not to put too much stock in it.

Just because player A has a better vertical than player B doesnt mean that he'll be able to move a pile better.

I've looked at footage of Wolfe, not just highlights of him but game footage, and I see a solid player but very unspectacular player. This doesnt mean he can't develop into one but at this moment he'd be a later round developmental pick and I wouldnt expect much from him for a few seasons, if he ever develops at all. Just my assessment.

I've looked at footage of Wolfe, not just highlights of him but game footage, and I see a solid player but very unspectacular player. This doesnt mean he can't develop into one but at this moment he'd be a later round developmental pick and I wouldnt expect much from him for a few seasons, if he ever develops at all. Just my assessment.
...and the assessment of everybody else here.

Very unspectacular player? LOL. If Wolfe is unspectacular, brockers, cox, reyes and still are even more unspectacular, outright stiffs.

Wolfe is much more spectacular than others. At least for Wolfe someone could put up a highlight reel like this one Derek Wolfe Highlight: 2011 Big East Defensive POY - YouTube, while for the others it would be a big struggle to even approach the highlights of Wolfe.
What would it be in cox's case, the QB running into him and Cox getting the sack? LOL. Reyes put up half of Wolfe's production playing same conference same position. But he's more spectacular than Wolfe? LOL

Thanks to Wolfe's efforts, Cinci led the nation in TFLs per game and was second in the nation in sacks per game. Wolfe himself pulled down a great production with 9.5 sacks and 21.5 TFLs, even though he was double teamed plenty of times. But he's unspectacular. LOL

I too watched game footage of Wolfe, not just highlights, I posted the link here days ago against SEC opposition. Derek Wolfe vs Vanderbilt 2011 - YouTube
Almost always in the backfield, creating havoc, moving forward all the time even when double teamed. LOL unspectacular. I guess Justin Smith is very unspectacular too.

If he was awesome...wouldn't he be regarded as a 1st round prospect?

If nothing else your man crush on Wolfe has earned you binky of the year award. I don't think anybody loves a prospect as much as you do Wolfe. Hopefully the Pats draft him and you're right. The last time I remember this much passion for anybody it was another Cincy player Connor Barwin. That was half the board so Wolfe hasn't reach all world binky status like Barwin.

Last year my binky was Aldon Smith based on his upside. I didn't think he would have a rookie year like that. The year before my binky was Gronk and likewise he's exceeded my lofty expectations with his domination last year.

This years it's Hightower so far.

Can't argue with you, there.

But those of us with WHOLE brains have a different opinion of the lad. ;)

That he is very unspectacular? Haha.
You really have to be missing something upstairs to make that claim. In all situations, a half of a brain who thinks is more valuable than a brain who cannot think.

At least for the very unspectacular Wolfe, someone could put up a highlight video like this one Derek Wolfe Highlight: 2011 Big East Defensive POY - YouTube. But for the others, Cox, Brockers, Still, Reyes, no one did, probably because he would struggle big time to find highlights like the very unspectacular Wolfe has it that vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back