PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats' FA Class is Straightforward

I would say Onwenu is the only Offensive must sign. I would like to retain Dugger, Jennings, Mack Wilson and Pharoah Brown. Pay Barmore now, the price will only go up.
The sooner we get a deal done with Barmore the better. As you said, his price tag is only gonna go up. He’s our most important signing actually even though he’s not FA eligible. He needs to be the cog of DL for the next 5-7 years a la Seymour and Wilfork.

Last edited:
Slater is done….he should come back as a ST coach!
i half-heartedly agree, and do think that 2023 was the one more year run for him... but ultimately I have (a little?) too much respect for him as a player & team leader to unceremoniously just dump his ass in a thread about free agency... eh, i get it, its stupid, but that just how i feel about him as a player

When it really comes down to it, the only critical signing is Onwenu, who can be tagged. Everyone else could leave and it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Jennings, Bryant, Bourne and possibly Zeke seem like lower-price deals that would offer high value and make sense to bring back without barely putting a dent in the ~$90M cap space.

MUST SIGN - Onwenu, Henry, Bourne, Jennings, P. Brown
LIKE IF -$ - Dugger, Uche, Gesicki
TAKE OR LEAVE - Mills, Elliot, Wilson, Bryant
DUMP - T. Brown, Slater (it's time)
While I agree with your levels, mostly, I don’t agree that anyone is a ‘must sign’. They could replace anyone in your ‘must’ list and I’d not be concerned.

The only player I am passionate about keeping is Gonzales.

We cannot really discuss any of these FA until we know what the Pats are going to do with the GM and head coach. If the Pats go a whole new direction with the GM and head coach, most of these FA may not even fit what the new Patriots system or direction will be. Owenu probably fits almost any direction the Pats will go, but maybe not any of the others.

I would say Onwenu is the only Offensive must sign. I would like to retain Dugger, Jennings, Mack Wilson and Pharoah Brown. Pay Barmore now, the price will only go up.
I want Onwenu back, but not at the price of the tag for OLine which is likely about 20 million. He’s good, but not 20 million good. He’s a player that actually should already be signed. Pats have a bad habit of letting good players become free agents and then ending up having to pay a higher market price than if they had signed the player a year early. Henry should also have been extended. Poor management to go into the offseason with no decent TEs or Tackles under contract.

If Bill stays, Bryant isn’t going anywhere. Did you see how BB looked at him when they met in the locker room after the Broncos game (the “left it all out on the field exchange”)? Like he was greeting a son.

If Bill stays, Bryant isn’t going anywhere. Did you see how BB looked at him when they met in the locker room after the Broncos game (the “left it all out on the field exchange”)? Like he was greeting a son.
Bryant has really improved this year. I’m ok with keeping him around as a nickel/dime back for a reasonable contract.

I want Onwenu back, but not at the price of the tag for OLine which is likely about 20 million. He’s good, but not 20 million good. He’s a player that actually should already be signed. Pats have a bad habit of letting good players become free agents and then ending up having to pay a higher market price than if they had signed the player a year early. Henry should also have been extended. Poor management to go into the offseason with no decent TEs or Tackles under contract.
Usually players with injury concerns in their last year are not extended immediately. That broken ankle of his was a concern through the offseason. They dont heal as well as many assume. Look at Boutte.

Usually players with injury concerns in their last year are not extended immediately. That broken ankle of his was a concern through the offseason. They dont heal as well as many assume. Look at Boutte.
No reason he could not have been extended early in the season once the ankle appeared ok.

No reason he could not have been extended early in the season once the ankle appeared ok.
You can only extend a player who agrees to the deal. Onwenu’s agent knows, and knew, his value.

You want to keep him, you’re going to pay him like an A-level OL, because that’s what he is.

Patriots might have six good OL, if Mafi and Sow both improve, but going into next year, they have ZERO good tackles other than Onwenu.

Pay him. Whatever it costs, pay him.

You can only extend a player who agrees to the deal. Onwenu’s agent knows, and knew, his value.

You want to keep him, you’re going to pay him like an A-level OL, because that’s what he is.

Patriots might have six good OL, if Mafi and Sow both improve, but going into next year, they have ZERO good tackles other than Onwenu.

Pay him. Whatever it costs, pay him.
There won't be good tackles in FA.

We need to realize that teams paid McGlinchey and Orlando Brown close to $19m a year most of it guaranteed last year. Both players busted.

The only concern with Onwenu is his weight. It has always been at the boundary of what he should be at.

There won't be good tackles in FA.

We need to realize that teams paid McGlinchey and Orlando Brown close to $19m a year most of it guaranteed last year. Both players busted.

The only concern with Onwenu is his weight. It has always been at the boundary of what he should be at.
They didn’t bust. Brown played more than 1,000 snaps. Had a bit of an off year, for him, but busted?

Nah.

And when McGlinchy got hurt the other day, the sideline wasn’t thrilled with it.

You want blue-chippers at tackle, you pay for them.

They didn’t bust. Brown played more than 1,000 snaps. Had a bit of an off year, for him, but busted?

Nah.

And when McGlinchy got hurt the other day, the sideline wasn’t thrilled with it.

You want blue-chippers at tackle, you pay for them.
Im talking about defenders running through them like theyre ghosts. Just because they have no depth to replace them doesn't make them any less disappointments. I was actually going by the reaction of their fans.

Must Keep
Hunter Henry, TE
Michael Onwenu, RG/OL
Anfernee Jennings, EDGE

Should Keep
Kendrick Bourne, WR
Mike Gesicki, TE
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Kyle Dugger, S
Mack Wilson, LB
Josh Uche, EDGE

Contributes to a degree, Come back for short dollars, fine by me...
Myles Bryant, CB
Jalen Mills, DB (void year)
Pharaoh Brown, TE
Jalen Reagor, WR

Eh, nah... Im cool, thanks for the contributions though
Cody Davis, S
James Ferentz, RG
Riley Reiff, RT

Just Say No...
Trent Brown LT (void year)

Retirement...
Matt Slater, STHOF (Special Teams HOF'er)

Restricted Rights Free Agents & Exclusive Rights Free Agents -
eh, doesn't matter either way... guys like these churn the roster bottom/practice squad transaction sheets
Terez Hall, LB (RFA)
Christian Elliss, LB (ERFA)
Alex Austin, CB (ERFA)
Nathan Rourke, QB (ERFA)
Tre Nixon, WR (ERFA)
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., RT (EFRA)
I'd move Mills up a notch since he is OK at both safety and corner.

I would move Uhe down a notch.

I’d be happy with Onwenu, Dugger and Jennings.

I wouldn’t hate resigning Zeke, hes going to be making end of the line money and I think he’s about as solid a backup you’d be able to find
He also said he wants to stay here.

Im talking about defenders running through them like theyre ghosts. Just because they have no depth to replace them doesn't make them any less disappointments. I was actually going by the reaction of their fans.
After watching the frustration here, I’m not surprised to see two top-end FAs get reamed on teams that have disappointed.

Means nothing, particularly with OL, which few can truly judge. These are two top-15 tackles at their respective sides, and Brown doesn’t miss games, which is huge.

You’re going to pay top dollar in FA, and with your own, and an A-level player is going to be paid near the top of the position whether he’s #1 or #15 because of scarcity and rising salary caps. This is just reality.

The Chiefs have struggled since losing Brown. That was the biggest whiff by BB this year. Don’t give me Reiff when Orlando Brown is sitting there!

Must Keep
Hunter Henry, TE
Michael Onwenu, RG/OL
Anfernee Jennings, EDGE

Should Keep
Kendrick Bourne, WR
Mike Gesicki, TE
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Kyle Dugger, S
Mack Wilson, LB
Josh Uche, EDGE

Contributes to a degree, Come back for short dollars, fine by me...
Myles Bryant, CB
Jalen Mills, DB (void year)
Pharaoh Brown, TE
Jalen Reagor, WR

Eh, nah... Im cool, thanks for the contributions though
Cody Davis, S
James Ferentz, RG
Riley Reiff, RT

Just Say No...
Trent Brown LT (void year)

Retirement...
Matt Slater, STHOF (Special Teams HOF'er)

Restricted Rights Free Agents & Exclusive Rights Free Agents -
eh, doesn't matter either way... guys like these churn the roster bottom/practice squad transaction sheets
Terez Hall, LB (RFA)
Christian Elliss, LB (ERFA)
Alex Austin, CB (ERFA)
Nathan Rourke, QB (ERFA)
Tre Nixon, WR (ERFA)
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., RT (EFRA)
Nice.

Mac Wilson has really risen imo, very athletic. Same with Myles Bryant's stock. Uche has leveled off.

Must sign

Onwenu
Jennings
Henry - if dollars are right . Hopefully in 8 -10 mill range
Pharoah brown
Mac wilson

Nice to have

Zeke
Bourne
Dugger - if dollars are cheap. No point waiting dollars on a safety when we have Phillips and peppers. Bryant can also do some decent open field tackling.
Bryant

Rest all ignore

Trade away
Juju
Parker

Acquire

Tee higgins

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back