PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mac Jones "tank" us into the #1 Overall Pick? Is that why he's still our starter?

If they thought there was someone behind Mac who would play better I think they make the move instantly.

But zappe hasn't done anything in his clean up duty to exactly I spire confidence.

And they watch these guys every day in practice.

So looking at the latest mock draft rankings has the Patriots hanging tough at the #3 draft spot with a 2-8 record. We've only been outlost by the Panthers at 1-9 and the Cardinals at 2-9. The Bears own the Panthers pick though so they are the team we'd need to talk to if a trade is needed.

Tankathon draft order: Tankathon | 2024 NFL Draft Order

So real talk. Are the Patriots trying to indirectly tank by running Mac Jones out there the rest of the season?
He's the worst starting QB in the NFL with 10 INTs to 10 TDs and a lackluster 6.3 yards per attempt.
The Patriots offense is scoring a paltry 14.1 ppg good for 31st in the league.

You'd think a man as intellectual as BB would have heard the mantra the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing but expecting different results.
But according to recent news, Mac Jones was taking 1st team snaps in practice which indicates to me he intends to do just that - run out Mac Jones until the tires fall off, and expect a different result... how?!

In any case, I suppose running Mac Jones out there gives you the best chance to LOSE. But is that really what he wants to be doing when his job is clearly in the hot seat and Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft will be scrutinizing each game going forward with a very close eye?

Your thoughts guys. Is BB actually playing the long game and forcing Mac into these starts so he can get a top draft pick and essentially get a 'redo' couple of seasons by picking a new QB1 in the draft? If BB is still in New England at the end of the season does that mean that Mac Jones is a goner? It feels like SOMEBODY has to take the fall! You can't perform this pathetically without some heads rolling!

Oh goody, another redundant hater thread with a faulty premise. No, Mac is not the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. In fact, Mac is the league's 27th-rated passer. He might not be good but he's the best option available, ergo best chance to win. That is, pending a possible switch to Zappe after the bye.

No, the Patriots are not "trying" to tank. There are too many jobs at stake including players whose livelihoods hinge on performance. So give this idiotic notion a rest.

Last edited:
So looking at the latest mock draft rankings has the Patriots hanging tough at the #3 draft spot with a 2-8 record. We've only been outlost by the Panthers at 1-9 and the Cardinals at 2-9. The Bears own the Panthers pick though so they are the team we'd need to talk to if a trade is needed.

Tankathon draft order: Tankathon | 2024 NFL Draft Order

So real talk. Are the Patriots trying to indirectly tank by running Mac Jones out there the rest of the season?
He's the worst starting QB in the NFL with 10 INTs to 10 TDs and a lackluster 6.3 yards per attempt.
The Patriots offense is scoring a paltry 14.1 ppg good for 31st in the league.

You'd think a man as intellectual as BB would have heard the mantra the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing but expecting different results.
But according to recent news, Mac Jones was taking 1st team snaps in practice which indicates to me he intends to do just that - run out Mac Jones until the tires fall off, and expect a different result... how?!

In any case, I suppose running Mac Jones out there gives you the best chance to LOSE. But is that really what he wants to be doing when his job is clearly in the hot seat and Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft will be scrutinizing each game going forward with a very close eye?

Your thoughts guys. Is BB actually playing the long game and forcing Mac into these starts so he can get a top draft pick and essentially get a 'redo' couple of seasons by picking a new QB1 in the draft? If BB is still in New England at the end of the season does that mean that Mac Jones is a goner? It feels like SOMEBODY has to take the fall! You can't perform this pathetically without some heads rolling!
Kraft is much happier with the drafts and he knows that you cant win without a QB. More losing only sets the team up for the future.

BTW, that psychopath "Transcribe" is at it with his weirdo stalking.

Kraft is much happier with the drafts and he knows that you cant win without a QB. More losing only sets the team up for the future.

BTW, that psychopath "Transcribe" is at it with his weirdo stalking.

You have it wrong, hillbilly boy. Your sister hired me to monitor your Internet usage vs. doing your chores. Better watch out, you don't want her on the warpath again.

There is no way that BB tanks. It is not in his DNA. Not a chance.

And Mac is really not that bad; he just has no one to throw to and little in the way of line protection. However he is psychologically damaged from fans, and now coaches, excoriating him. His downfall started with "dirty player" accusations; he was clearly affected by that baloney and had a dreadful game as a result (calling an NFL quarterback a "dirty" player is like (to paraphrase Apocalypse Now) handing out a speeding ticket at the Indianapolis Speedway). Since then he has been a mess, trying make up for lack of WR separation by forcing the ball and trying to make up of lack of protection by throwing on the run...both of which lead to disaster. Anyone who thinks that Mac sucks should watch his college highlights....and his first year with the Patriots.

The Patriots, being what they are this year, will confound expectations and win against the Giants and a few other dodgy teams. I seriously doubt that they will end up with the number 3 pick.....more like number 8 or so.

No, Mac is not the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. In fact, Mac is the league's 27th-rated passer.
Love you bro but not sure picking a stat that places him near 32nd is helping your case.

Then why does BB decide to change QBs only when its too late?

Like the last game. Pats only needed 7 points and BB yanks Corky out with less than 2 minutes to go and no timeouts? If BB really wanted to win you pull the plug on Corky at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The other 2 games where Corky got the boot were 30 point deficits. by the time BB made the change.

Then why does BB decide to change QBs only when its too late?

Like the last game. Pats only needed 7 points and BB yanks Corky out with less than 2 minutes to go and no timeouts? If BB really wanted to win you pull the plug on Corky at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The other 2 games where Corky got the boot were 30 point deficits. by the time BB made the change.
Mac won’t be starter for much longer cause it’s zappy smurf’s time. The midget worked way harder than Mac this past offseason and it’s about to pay off. Mac will lose his job for good to the midget in week 5. Take it to the bank.

And Mac is really not that bad; he just has no one to throw to and little in the way of line protection. However he is psychologically damaged from fans, and now coaches, excoriating him. His downfall started with "dirty player" accusations; he was clearly affected by that baloney and had a dreadful game as a result (calling an NFL quarterback a "dirty" player is like (to paraphrase Apocalypse Now) handing out a speeding ticket at the Indianapolis Speedway). Since then he has been a mess, trying make up for lack of WR separation by forcing the ball and trying to make up of lack of protection by throwing on the run...both of which lead to disaster. Anyone who thinks that Mac sucks should watch his college highlights....and his first year with the Patriots.

The Patriots, being what they are this year, will confound expectations and win against the Giants and a few other dodgy teams. I seriously doubt that they will end up with the number 3 pick.....more like number 8 or so.
Are you seriously saying that it's not in Bill's DNA to cheat and there's no chance he'd do it. Where have you been? He single handedly created the name Cheatriots.

Either way he’s just not a natural leader or at least doesn’t seem to be. A franchise Qb is the face of his team and ought to a leader and he’s not one. He’s not the guy in NE and the team should move on. But I won’t be surprised if he makes a name for himself as a backup on a good team or a starter on a lousy team. It won’t be here unfortunately.
Now watch them beat the Chiefs in Foxboro. Wouldn’t surprise me at all. I remember when the 2004 Pats lost to the 2-14 Dolphins. It’s our turn to be a wtf loss for another team.

Love you bro but not sure picking a stat that places him near 32nd is helping your case.

The OP stated he's the worst starting quarterback in the league, which is demonstrably false. Other stats can be cherry picked a la 19th in yards, 22nd in touchdown percentage, etc. Good? No. But not worst.

Oh goody, another redundant hater thread built on a faulty premise. No, Mac is not the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. In fact, Mac is the league's 27th-rated passer. He might not be good but he's the best option available, ergo best chance to win. That is, pending a possible switch to Zappe after the bye.

No, the Patriots are not "trying" to tank. There are too many jobs at stake including players whose livelihoods hinge on performance. So give this idiotic notion a rest.
Is tanking even a thing? Why would players and coaches risk losing their jobs for a season they might not even be apart of after “the tank?”. They waste one of their prime years for what?

The bears winning more down the stretch and fields looking better is something we all should root hard for.

The giants also possibly rejuvenated by this devito kid.

Kyler murray hopefully gets az some wins.

We should have a clear shot at #2 but i feel like we’ll end #3. Which ill take in a heartbeat

Sounds like all 3 QB's got a look with the 1's in practice after all per O'Brien. Maybe this is how it's going to be the rest of the way like a platoon.

Don't think it matters all that much... we'll have a brand new QB room next season. Looking forward to it.

What would you guys think if Bill is still there in 2024 and takes a DL over the choice of any QB’s available?

What would you guys think if Bill is still there in 2024 and takes a DL over the choice of any QB’s available?

That's a stup ... endous question.

My choice is in for '24 season -
1. Sign Cousins, and either keep Zappe or Grier as #2, or get a guy like Mike White/Davis Mills (semi-young guy who needs a shot a la Dobbs) as insurance/future. (Trade up in 1st round, pick Harrison) re-sign Bourne, develop Pop, Boutte.
2. Trade down to mid - 1st, Draft Penix Jr. I'm starting to like him best out of the class. Plan to start him Day 1, and either keep Grier and/or Cunningham as a #2. (use extra picks to land LT, TE, DE) Sign #1 FA WR, keep above WRs.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back