PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You can pick one current NFL player for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geno Atkins for me. Whip him on Jones's side

Has to be Watt. Sans Condon, of course.

Big benefit of Watt over Calvin is that Watt's cheap for 2014 and after that, BB could structure the contract himself instead of taking Johnson's Detroit-negotiated mess.

Whoever said Fitzgerald... you're out of your mind. I'd rather have Floyd.

I'll go with JJ Watt

The "long way down" for the Bills went way beyond losing your HOF QB. You have had arguably the worst owner, worst stadium, worst string of head coaches and worst roster since the early '90s. Now Meathead, before you go all ballistic on me, you know I like you (God knows why) so just sit back and embrace your team's 20 years of suckitude. Could be worse, you could be a fan of a team in a Gooberville city such as Indy.

Thanks for the compliment, albeit a somewhat backhanded one. I'll take that around here.

The Bills actually made the playoffs two out of three years after Jim Kelly retired. They still had talent on that team. How much talent do you think the Patriots have apart from Tom Brady? They have some for sure, but not enough IMO. How would the team be with Ryan Mallett as QB, for example? Would the defense be able to pick up the slack? I don't think so. The whole team will have to reinvent itself after Brady, which is not an easy thing to do. Being perennial contenders will no longer be a foregone conclusion, even in this division...even with Bill Belichick's magic potion elixir.

Take Brady off the Patriots and put him on any other team in the division, and then we'll know something.

Losing Brady is when reality begins to rear it's ugly head, unless the Pats get lucky to land somebody decent very quickly...which is easier said than done because every team is trying to rob the same train, and demand FAR outweighs the supply at QB.

I can understand if you want to be in denial about all that.

The Bills definitely had their moments of pure suckitude over the past 14 years, but they've mainly been mediocre or borderline-bad in relation to other teams. They've usually picked somewhere around #10 (many times lower than that) in the draft and so are never in a position to take the best QB prospects...that's been part of the problem. The main exceptions were when the Bills picked at #4 the same year they traded a 1st rounder for Drew Bledsoe (your welcome), and a few years ago when they picked 3rd and there was no QB worth taking. Yeah, the coaches haven't been good, but there were also a bunch of coach-killers at QB. Give a guy 3 years, fire him, rinse and repeat.

There has been talent on Bills teams. "Worst rosters" is just not remotely true over time. There is lots of talent there now, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I don't see what the quality of the stadium has to do with anything, and Ralph Wilson is 95-freakin'-years-old. There is only so far he's even ABLE to be involved, but ownership is definitely an issue for sure. Management issues...and the big issue of not winning games.

Earl Thomas. With McCourty and Thomas, we'd have the best safeties in the game.

Another name that's not been mentioned, Alshon Jeffery...?

I'm really suprised that more DTs haven't been mentioned, given the team's current situation there.

I'm really suprised that more DTs haven't been mentioned, given the team's current situation there.

What do you think about Henry Melton?

Melton was a guy that I had on my wish list a year ago, though realistically I knew he would be too expensive. The Bears placed the franchise tag on him, and then he went on IR after tearing an ACL in September. Chicago's defense took a noticeable dive without him (though it's worth noting he was not their only starter injured), and he's a free agent. In December he was arrested on a public intoxication charge and from what I'm reading Chicago may be ready to move on - in part due to their cap situation after re-signing Cutler. Their GM saying "obviously, he has some off-the-field issues that he needs to make sure that he's focused on football and having a passion for football" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Given the injury and arrest, he may be available for significantly less money than it would have cost a year ago. He's only 27, and had 13 sacks in 2011-12.

Thanks for the compliment, albeit a somewhat backhanded one. I'll take that around here.

The Bills actually made the playoffs two out of three years after Jim Kelly retired. They still had talent on that team. How much talent do you think the Patriots have apart from Tom Brady? They have some for sure, but not enough IMO. How would the team be with Ryan Mallett as QB, for example? Would the defense be able to pick up the slack? I don't think so. The whole team will have to reinvent itself after Brady, which is not an easy thing to do. Being perennial contenders will no longer be a foregone conclusion, even in this division...even with Bill Belichick's magic potion elixir.

Take Brady off the Patriots and put him on any other team in the division, and then we'll know something.

Losing Brady is when reality begins to rear it's ugly head, unless the Pats get lucky to land somebody decent very quickly...which is easier said than done because every team is trying to rob the same train, and demand FAR outweighs the supply at QB.

I can understand if you want to be in denial about all that.

2008 AFCE Final Standings

Miami 11-5

New England 11-5

NY Jets 9-7

Buffalo 7-9

Deny that..............

I think people are counting JJ Watt as a DT inside of Jones.

I think the consensus seems to be, put a special DT on the same side of Jones and let the pass rush come.

2008 AFCE Final Standings

Miami 11-5

New England 11-5

NY Jets 9-7

Buffalo 7-9

Deny that..............

No, no, no...deny THIS, pal. LOL. What is your point?

Brady was out for the year in 2008, and the Patriots did not make the playoffs. You go to just help prove my point. Thank you.

This coming off a season where the Patriots were one of the best teams I've ever seen, all told...unstoppable on offense, and also #4 on defense overall and points allowed. 6 years later, it's not the same team at all. Try plugging in Matt Cassel now and see what happens.

Do you think the Patriots miss the playoffs in 2008 with Tom Brady at the helm? Of course they wouldn't have.

I'm of the opinion that any team in the AFC East with Tom Brady at QB this year would have been the team to win the division. The disparity of overall talent on these teams does't fall in the Patriots favor as much as you may imagine. Brady puts the Pats over the top.

Peyton Manning ... :)

I gotta admit the temptation to go megatron or something, but I'd go defense.

JJ Watt? Maybe Richard Sherman? (Oh, I'm assuming a magic wand and no compensation, contract issues, or whatever.)

No, no, no...deny THIS, pal. LOL. What is your point?

Brady was out for the year in 2008, and the Patriots did not make the playoffs. You go to just help prove my point. Thank you.

This coming off a season where the Patriots were one of the best teams I've ever seen, all told...unstoppable on offense, and also #4 on defense overall and points allowed. 6 years later, it's not the same team at all. Try plugging in Matt Cassel now and see what happens.

Do you think the Patriots miss the playoffs in 2008 with Tom Brady at the helm? Of course they wouldn't have.

I'm of the opinion that any team in the AFC East with Tom Brady at QB this year would have been the team to win the division. The disparity of overall talent on these teams does't fall in the Patriots favor as much as you may imagine. Brady puts the Pats over the top.

41B98B3VK2L.gif

Cute picture.

It's the other guy digging the hole, unintentionally making it deeper by bringing up 2008 as evidence of how the Patriots are good enough without Brady, or so that's the crazy message I got from his posting the standings without comment. The Patriots did not make the playoffs that year, so that's like pouring gasoline on yourself when you are on fire...to bring that up after what I said. The Patriots were a WAY better TEAM that year than they are now too, and then the hole gets deeper.

But the picture doesn't really tell my what you think. Do you agree with me?

How important you think Tom Brady is to the New England Patriots and how you think the current team would do without him. That's the subject, son.

Rob Gronkowski

Hmmmm.....MegaTron or MegaWatts......

How 'bout AP 2013 DPOTY Luke Kuechly, a local....

I think people are counting JJ Watt as a DT inside of Jones.

I think the consensus seems to be, put a special DT on the same side of Jones and let the pass rush come.

Watt plays as a 5 technique 3-4 DE though which doesn't make him a DT in any scheme. I'd still welcome him thought but a true DT would make a bigger difference for us which is why I went with Gerald McCoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back