PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Obrien and Klemm

I'm not sure. Perhaps, their staff and friends can provide advice. Such advice can't be further than a phone call away. I'm sure that there are literally dozens that he could consult; and that's what owners often do.
====================
NFL is first and foremost a business.

Drafting with our #3 pick is first and foremost a business decision.

Hiring a HC is first and foremost a business decision.
========
If Bob and Jonathan need advice in those business decisions, they can get it, from friends, from staff and from consultants.
=========
If I am running a $6B BUSINESS, I want the person at the top of decision-making process to be able to make the best BUSINESS decision.

I suppose that some ownership teams would leave the choices at the top of the draft to HC. As with many organizations, I disagree. Ownership should be involved with the decision-making. PERSONALLY, I think that it negligence for owners to simply allow the HC full responsibility.
=======
I cerTainly understand that you, and perhaps a majority of fans disagree.
Ok, yes we disagree. I think that people who have football knowledge experience and judgment should make football decisions.

Here is an example of what is in store if your way occurs.

Q: Robert, in your mind, watching this team over the last three losing seasons in four years, 4-13 this year, what’s the biggest reason in your mind on why the team has fallen?

Kraft:

Well, I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that. You might be better than I. I don’t know. So many games we’re close. Is it the coaching? Is it the personnel? Something isn’t quite right from where it was. And I’m not smart enough, I think, to give you a credible answer.

And the OC should hire that staff.
If the reports that BB didn't let BOB hire his own offensive coaches, then I wouldn't be averse to retaining BOB and let him assemble a hopefully solid offensive coaching staff. I loved Troy Brown as a player, but he needs to go as a WR coach (even though he hasn't had stellar talent to coach). I believe we can and should do better for a WR coach.

Last edited:
Youre fine with little Jerry Jones.

Mayo does not get to pick his guy. Little Jerry does and his pulling of the puppet strings wont stop there. Overlooked is how much did Little Jerry think that he learned from working with BB for 24 years? Me thinks that Little Jerry plans to keep the NE defense as is and in his mind all the Pats need is offensive weapons and OL. Corky Mac is staying on as the franchise and Little Jerry is going to pick a WR at 3 just like he did for his boy Drew Bledsoe.
No Terry Glenn, No Superbowl XXXI.....just sayin'...

How are we determining that Troy Brown is a bad WR coach? Are we measuring by on field results or lack thereof?

I think we can't judge a coach based on that. Unlike Special Teams where simple fundamental errors have been made at an alarming rate the last two seasons that suggested a lack of attention to the details.

Apparently, Kraft forced Patricia out.

Bill the GM didn't exactly support the new hires: Obrien and Klemm.

I believe that they are both under contract. I think that there will be plenty of changes this year. I think that both should stay another year.

I the idea of O’ Brien returning makes me want to throw up.

How are we determining that Troy Brown is a bad WR coach? Are we measuring by on field results or lack thereof?

I think we can't judge a coach based on that. Unlike Special Teams where simple fundamental errors have been made at an alarming rate the last two seasons that suggested a lack of attention to the details.

I agree. It’s easier to judge unit coordinators because of efficiency and disciplined play, but the only way you can judge a WR or DB coach is to know what the call was, assignments, and techniques. We don’t have access to the film to gauge that.

Klemm seemed to do a decent job developing the young guys before he was out

Troy brown did NOT seem to develop the young guys

There were reports that T. Brown didn't even excuse the most simplest of task. I wish I remember the specifics, but this whole coaching stuff was a mess.

Doubt klem is coming back.

Can't judge O'Brien too much this season because he was handcuff alot on what plays he could call and he wasn't allowed to have his own coaching staff.

Did any of the WRs improve except maybe Douglas? And he mainly gets by on his quickness but still sometimes runs the wrong routes.

A lot of the defensive players have improved over the last few years. That's a decent way to judge coaching. Subject to their physical ceilings, did the players get better or not? And was their usage better? Yes for the defense, no for the WRs. Now obviously working within the limitations of your putrid OL and screwed-up QB here, but still we saw not one hint of improvement.

Ok, yes we disagree. I think that people who have football knowledge experience and judgment should make football decisions.

Here is an example of what is in store if your way occurs.

Q: Robert, in your mind, watching this team over the last three losing seasons in four years, 4-13 this year, what’s the biggest reason in your mind on why the team has fallen?

Kraft:

Well, I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that. You might be better than I. I don’t know. So many games we’re close. Is it the coaching? Is it the personnel? Something isn’t quite right from where it was. And I’m not smart enough, I think, to give you a credible answer.
OK, so all the owner billionaires are unable to pay for advice when making the decisions they need to make on their $5B assets. They should delegates ALL those decisions to hired hands and the owner should have no oversight,

Yup, we disagree.
============
In your world Jonathan and Bob should be on the beach with no responsibilities. After all, their company GM's should make all the decisions. and they just pay for it all and collect the profits.
==========
What a strange, strange view of how companies function and succeed.

Did any of the WRs improve except maybe Douglas? And he mainly gets by on his quickness but still sometimes runs the wrong routes.

A lot of the defensive players have improved over the last few years. That's a decent way to judge coaching. Subject to their physical ceilings, did the players get better or not? And was their usage better? Yes for the defense, no for the WRs. Now obviously working within the limitations of your putrid OL and screwed-up QB here, but still we saw not one hint of improvement.
Do you think anyone else could have done better?

OK, so all the owner billionaires are unable to pay for advice when making the decisions they need to make on their $5B assets. They should delegates ALL those decisions to hired hands and the owner should have no oversight,

Yup, we disagree.
============
In your world Jonathan and Bob should be on the beach with no responsibilities. After all, their company GM's should make all the decisions. and they just pay for it all and collect the profits.
==========
What a strange, strange view of how companies function and succeed.
What in the would are you talking about?

Instead of hiring football people to make decisions you want the owner to make the decisions he isn’t knowledgeable enough to make by paying to get advice from someone who also isn’t knowledgeable enough?

In my world they hire football people to make football decisions and they are accountable to them about the decisions they make.

Do you think if Kraft bought a restaurant he should be the chef?

Klemm seemed to do a decent job developing the young guys before he was out

Troy brown did NOT seem to develop the young guys
Douglass looked pretty good for a 6th round pick.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back