PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats QB Room in for 2024

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Assume we're picking in the top 6 or 7 and need a minimum of 2 QBs in the 53.

Who is in your 2024 QB room?

(Let's not use this as another thread to bash Mac or Zappe - let's look ahead)

Mac, 2024 first round pick, cheap journeyman veteran.
The high draft pick and vet is where I'd be leaning. However, I'm not sure what vets are likely to be available and affordable. Cousins is the name a lot of people throw out but his injury status could be a big issue.

The high draft pick and vet is where I'd be leaning. However, I'm not sure what vets are likely to be available and affordable. Cousins is the name a lot of people throw out but his injury status could be a big issue.
When has that ever stopped BB? He signed Juju when the world knew he knee was shot.

That's assuming BB's here to make roster decisions next year.

If they get a top 2 pick it's Maye or Williams, if 3-7 then they draft a tackle or WR and get the QB in round 2 (or with a trade up).

If top 2
Maye or Williams
Free agent veteran (Dobbs/Taylor?)

If not in top 2 they need a stop gap QB for a season as only Maye or Williams is likely to start in year 1.

Veteran QB from outside (Kirk Cousins/Tannehill/Dobbs?)
2nd round pick QB

2nd round rookie
Jones if he’s not traded
Vet journeyman ala McSorely

I think we are trading down from the top for an elite tackle and more picks. The OL was ass yesterday in pass blocking and needs to be fixed before we look at QB.

I don't want the Patriots starting a rookie QB with this OL/roster. They need to sign a vet or keep Mac for another year.

Surest way to ruin a young QB would be to throw them behind a shoddy OL throwing to the likes of juju/parker as they learn on the job

Might as well put a name on your shouts i.e. what 2nd round rookie etc?

Surest way to ruin a young QB would be to throw them behind a shoddy OL throwing to the likes of juju/parker as they learn on the job
Agreed. A young QB needs weapons and "most" get them. However, I'm also worried about Pats development of WR talent.

Last edited:
Depends on whether they win 4 games or 6.

If they win 6, they'll have a tough time trading up from spot 9 for a top QB.

If they win 4, they may either land a top QB by staying put (Williams and Maye will go in top 4, as late as 5) or trading up with a marginal pick (2nd and maybe 2024 2nd or 3rd).

I'm going to say it's going to be Williams, Zappe and a vet QB (Cousins is out of reach, he'll start somewhere else if he leaves Minn.)

Mac is gone for a 4th rounder.

Shoddy OL that has been giving Mac plenty of time in the pocket lately and yesterday mauled a team to the tune of 150 yards on the ground, forcing them to put 9 men in the box, and we still couldn't throw the ball. Everything was on a plate for Mac yesterday, 10 points given up by the D, short field, OL doing its job, Gesicki wide open in the end zone.

Agreed. A young QB needs weapons and "most" get them. However, I'm also worries about Pats development of WR talent.

If Bill is still the GM they will get nothing and like it!

That's basically been his attitude towards offense. Bill took Brady/josh for granted taking care of that end.

Mac may still have turned out garbage as he never had a high ceiling. But the way they handled having a QB on a rookie deal gives me no faith id Bill is still coach/gm

I don't want the Patriots starting a rookie QB with this OL/roster. They need to sign a vet or keep Mac for another year.

They have a ton of cap space. They should be able to fix the OL and add other pieces to the roster.

Think he'd need to have a decent'ish last few games. If he's benched we'll get nothing.
4th rder for a backup who some coaches think they can rehabilitate may be worth it for some teams. The problem is the last year of his contract. That makes him likely even less of a value, so you're right. It doesn't really matter anyway.

I will only note that teams have given up a ton in recent years for players like Wentz

Mac, 2024 first round pick, cheap journeyman veteran.

While retaining Mac by virtue of his contract seems advisable, he might not be salvageable. I'm thinking a trio of first-found pick, journeyman vet and weightroom-transformed Cunningham.

While retaining Mac by virtue of his contract seems advisable, he might not be salvageable. I'm thinking a trio of first-found pick, journeyman vet and weightroom-transformed Cunningham.
If they aren't still trying to make Cunningham a WR...

If the Pats really want their own Lamar, forget Malik, and draft Jalen Milroe from Alabama in 2025 i.e. throwing needs work but has an absolute cannon and is an elite runner. Similar to Hurts but possibly a better passer at this stage (year 2 in college).

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back