PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick 250: Pats select Ryan Izzo TE Florida St

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly I just don't see any upside here. He is an okay blocker but not amazing, he loses or it's a stalemate a fair amount of time which is not what you want to see in a TE you draft for blocking. His hands seem good but he won't scare anyone as a pass catcher i think.

I just see this as a camp body to be honest.

Honestly I just don't see any upside here. He is an okay blocker but not amazing and his hands are solid but he loses or it's a stalemate a fair amount of time as well.

The NFL.com analysis said he would be a fulltime starter in 2-3 years. I know nothing about him, but it was certainly a stronger writeup than written about half the 6th rounders taken. so who knows.

The NFL.com analysis said he would be a fulltime starter in 2-3 years. I know nothing about him, but it was certainly a stronger writeup than written about half the 6th rounders taken. so who knows.

Maybe. I am just giving you my impression of his tape. There isn't much tape to go on of course and I could be wrong. Just my first reaction.

They signed another TE as a UDFA so they obviously don't see izzo as a lock, if you EVER could think that about a 7th rounder.

His 2017 tape is much improved. Solid blocker. Watch some Auden Tate videos and you can see the TE in the background if you're having trouble finding cut ups. He's not overwhelming at the point of attack, but he gives very strong effort.

Possible moves to FB for either of the signed TE’s? Competition for my boy Tazmanian Devlin?

They signed another TE as a UDFA so they obviously don't see izzo as a lock, if you EVER could think that about a 7th rounder.
Izzo has a good chance to make the roster or PS as a blocking TE. That's awesome for a 7th rounder.

nfl.com had him rated as a 5th or 6th rounder, same as Sam.

I agree with them. Sam and Izzo have the best chance of the Day 3 picks to make the 53.

Draft Scout said he compares to this former Patriot:

I wonder if he's any relation to former Patriot Larry Izzo?

I wonder if he's any relation to former Patriot Larry Izzo?

Larry Izzo's not quite old enough to be his dad, but they could be cousins.

Honestly I just don't see any upside here. He is an okay blocker but not amazing, he loses or it's a stalemate a fair amount of time which is not what you want to see in a TE you draft for blocking. His hands seem good but he won't scare anyone as a pass catcher i think.

I'm sure at pick 250 the Pats were expecting another Gronk? Evidently they see something there that they think they can work with. If not, he disappears like most 6th and 7th rounders. The fodder roster has a lot of players on it. All good players or they wouldn't have been drafted or picked up as free agents. Whether or not they 'stick' is up to them, not the coaching staff. If he can learn, is smart, and is coachable, he might have a shot at a roster spot. I can't but help rooting for these guys as everything is a lot of work for them and their dream is to play pro football. Besides I know of another Izzo that was pretty well thought of on this team and he worked his arse off to stay on the roster.

Last edited:
If we can find a way to redshirt him for a year and he uses the time to build up his physique closer to NFL level & grasps all the pass protections & understands the offense he might be a way to get a more reasonably priced blocking TE than Allen.

That being said dont expect him to develop into anything more than Hooman.. at best. Personally I think Niklas is a way more interesting prospect to watch this summer.

I still expect a restructure / pay cut to come along at some point this summer for Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back