Patriots Salary Cap

1. Cut Sopoaga
2. Cut Gregory - check
3. Cut Wilson
4. Cut/Restructure Wilfork
5. Extend Gostkowski
6. Extend McCourty
7. Extend/Cut Connolly

Those are the obvious ones. Slater could also get an extension.

Re: Steve Gregory releases

O wow i meant Ninko not Vrabel sorry managing my toddler son while he destroys the house absolutely meant Ninko but thats pretty funny.

I think this means A Wilson is more likely to stay

Miguel has made it clear that they really don't save anything by cutting A Wilson early. They'll probably see what he's got left and decide at roster cut-downs.

They'll probably cut Sopoaga next. They might cut Kelly, or ask him to restructure (I hope he can still play - love the guy).

The big question mark is obviously Wilfork - his cap hit and ability to play are probably the biggest determining factors in FA for the Pats.

Cutting Tavon makes no sense cap-wise. Just let him be a special teamer one more year, and cut him next year if there is no progress.

O wow i meant Ninko not Vrabel sorry managing my toddler son while he destroys the house absolutely meant Ninko but thats pretty funny.

Hard to imagine Nink getting cut a few months after they gave him an extension, and after a season in which he played 95.6% of the defensive snaps and played quite well.

The Pats need more DE depth, not less.

A better player than a lot of people gave him credit for, but I think it means there is a solid chance we will see an upgrade at the position.
What's the expression? "The Devil u know is better than the Devil u don't".
I too am mixed about Gregory but "Solid"??

Interestingly enough Volin thinks a Wilfork extension is in the works.

I don't put much stock in Volin's speculation. As for an extension, it makes all the sense in the world if Wilfork can recover to a meaningful level, and none if he can't. The question is how anyone would know the answer to that question at this early juncture.

Ill always remember him for returning the butt fumble back for the TD.

Best of luck.

Miguel has made it clear that they really don't save anything by cutting A Wilson early. They'll probably see what he's got left and decide at roster cut-downs.

They'll probably cut Sopoaga next. They might cut Kelly, or ask him to restructure (I hope he can still play - love the guy).

The big question mark is obviously Wilfork - his cap hit and ability to play are probably the biggest determining factors in FA for the Pats.

I like Kelly too but he only has half a million in dead money and it really depends on how he will come back from his injury. I think they save almost as much if they cut Kelly as they did with Gregory

I like Kelly too but he only has half a million in dead money and it really depends on how he will come back from his injury. I think they save almost as much if they cut Kelly as they did with Gregory

They save just over $2m, I believe.

They might extend him a year and spread it out, or ask him to take a pay cut.

The huge difference is that Gregory was not an impact player, Kelly most certainly was, but as you said, it depends on his recovery.

He was a force last year, it's unfortunate that both he and Wilfork got injured at their age.

Why do you think Ninko will be cut? He's very nice value for what he gets paid. I think he gets like 3-4mill. Very solid run stopper and pass rusher. Not to mention he's very clutch.

I don't put much stock in Volin's speculation. As for an extension, it makes all the sense in the world if Wilfork can recover to a meaningful level, and none if he can't. The question is how anyone would know the answer to that question at this early juncture.

Neither do I. Just passing it along.

The huge difference is that Gregory was not an impact player, Kelly most certainly was, but as you said, it depends on his recovery.

He was a force last year, it's unfortunate that both he and Wilfork got injured at their age.

Gregory was an impact player last year, unfortunately most of the time when he was on the field he impacted us in a negative way lol

Ninko is effectively uncuttable due to cap hit as he signed an extension mid-season last year with a good signing bonus.

Not a whole lot, but he's been next to useless. They can replace what he gives them on special teams.

Why cut T. Wilson now then?

If there is minimal cap dollar savings now, and he has some value on ST, the opportunity cost of carrying him through OTAs, minicamp and the first few weeks of camp are minimal, and who the hell knows, maybe he finally gets his role as a hybrid LB/S on nickel/dime packages while also contributing highly on ST. Not an ideal use of a 2nd round pick, but still a valuable contribution -- and if he fails and gets beat out on teams, the carrying cost to see if he could turn it around was minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes