PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Gregory released

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is BB respected Gregory a lot but didn't want to pay him that much. Probably wanted to give him the opportunity to catch on somewhere else or come back on a minimum deal if he can't find work.

I would guess Soap will be cut sometime soon and an extension for McCourty is probably in the works. Tavon Wilson doesn't make sense to be cut, great special teams on a rookie deal.

They are probably pretty confident in Harmon. He was a reach but was getting very good reports from other teams was my understanding. Didn't play spectacular but I also didn't notice any drop in play when he replaced Gregory which is probably what they wanted to see from a rookie.

BB seems to do something every year that shocks us.
My shock cut was Nink do I think it will happen? I highly doubt it still think he chases Michael Johnson word was he was hot on him last year and I dont know what would have happened to stop that. I paid extra attention to him during the Bengals season and when it ended with that awful game from Dalton I saw pain in his face and my first thought was this is a guy who just isn't chasing the money and really wants a shot at a championship. I could be far off here but thats my hope. I loved him in college and was shocked we didn't take a flier on him.

I have absolutely nothing against Steve Gregory the leader and person, bought nothing but hard work and class. As a player He was by far my least favorite starter last year and probably the year before that. He's the type of player that you can live with stepping in and starting 2-3 games but not a guy that you really want playing significant time.

BB seems to do something every year that shocks us.
My shock cut was Nink do I think it will happen? I highly doubt it still think he chases Michael Johnson word was he was hot on him last year and I dont know what would have happened to stop that. I paid extra attention to him during the Bengals season and when it ended with that awful game from Dalton I saw pain in his face and my first thought was this is a guy who just isn't chasing the money and really wants a shot at a championship. I could be far off here but thats my hope. I loved him in college and was shocked we didn't take a flier on him.

Yes, but we still need a rotation. 2 DEs isn't a "rotation" the last time I looked. You can't count on your 2 starters playing 95%+ of the defensive snap count and staying healthy, or not wearing down. The really good defenses all have quality depth.

Those are the obvious ones. Slater could also get an extension.

I did not mention Slater getting an extension since the cap savings would not that be great. He is due to get $1.6 million in cash. Since the minimum salary for a player with his experience is $730,000 an four-year extension with a 2 million signing bonus would only lower his cap number by less than a half a million dollars.

Who was the starting S for Rutgers last year? Welcome aboard!

As people have said, he's not a bad player and would be a good back up but he's definitely not a starter. I wonder if this means they're confident in Harmon as a starter.

Agreed that he's a good backup and spot starter.

But he never should have been signed to that much money in the first place.

I don't listen to them anymore but can someone cue up the whole "NE signed Gregory instead of Goldson" talking point for Felger and Mazz? I'm sure they'll be all over it.

Interesting to see what they'll do with the safety position.
Could we see a safety in the first round of the draft? Is Harmon really a starting caliber safety? Other than Ward who is a starting caliber safety in FA? I mean, if they are bringing another gregory why cut him in the first place?

No matter what they have to bring someone.

Interesting to see what they'll do with the safety position.
Could we see a safety in the first round of the draft? Is Harmon really a starting caliber safety? Other than Ward who is a starting caliber safety in FA? I mean, if they are bringing another gregory why cut him in the first place?

No matter what they have to bring someone.

Ebnertime

No, I'm not serious.

I don't listen to them anymore but can someone cue up the whole "NE signed Gregory instead of Goldson" talking point for Felger and Mazz? I'm sure they'll be all over it.

Never heard that one, but it makes no sense. The 49ers used the franchise tag on Goldson on March 2, 2012. The Pats signed Gregory on March 15. Unless you want to turn into a "NE signed Gregory instead of giving 2 1sts for Goldson" discussion, it's not relevant.

The time for the Pats to sign Goldson was in August 2011, when he was still unsigned. SF signed him for relatively cheap, and the Pats dumped Brandon Meriweather and James Sanders shortly thereafter, leaving themselves empty at the safety position. But Gregory wasn't a factor in all that.

I'm shocked and appalled that Mazz and Felger would be off on their facts.

Ebnertime

No, I'm not serious.

Ebner has the athleticism and work ethic to be an elite strong safety. Unfortunately, it apparently takes more than athleticism and hard work to become an elite strong safety.

Next, Tavon (another nice second round DB for Bill) and Adrian Wilson. Useless.

not ready to give up on them Sopoga might as well accept the fate though and I'm sure Tommy Kelly is nervously watching his phone. Mankins and Wilfork should restructure only Vince has a concern about release though not Logan.

Ebner has the athleticism and work ethic to be an elite strong safety. Unfortunately, it apparently takes more than athleticism and hard work to become an elite strong safety.

It'll take time, for sure. He's had two years, though, so if he's ever going to amount to anything at safety it may start happening this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him actually earn some rotational safety snaps this season, outside of garbage time. If we see that, then it wouldn't shock me if he gets extended this coming offseason and becomes an actual member of the safety rotation (primary backup, maybe?) in the future.

Realistically, though, I think the Pats more likely project him as a Matt Slater type. Slater has the athleticism and work ethic to be an elite safety too, but it seems like he's also just missing something, probably in the same way that Ebner is.

It'll take time, for sure. He's had two years, though, so if he's ever going to amount to anything at safety it may start happening this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him actually earn some rotational safety snaps this season, outside of garbage time. If we see that, then it wouldn't shock me if he gets extended this coming offseason and becomes an actual member of the safety rotation (primary backup, maybe?) in the future.

Realistically, though, I think the Pats more likely project him as a Matt Slater type. Slater has the athleticism and work ethic to be an elite safety too, but it seems like he's also just missing something, probably in the same way that Ebner is.

I had hopes for Ebner developing into a legitimate SS at one time. He has the size and raw athleticism of Kenny Vaccaro, plus a tremendous motor and work ethic, and he good football intelligence. I was disappointed that he didn't get more reps at the position last season. He's developed into a core STer and possibly the "next Slater" so I don't see him going anywhere, but I do think he has the potential to be more than just a STer.

Never heard that one, but it makes no sense. The 49ers used the franchise tag on Goldson on March 2, 2012. The Pats signed Gregory on March 15. Unless you want to turn into a "NE signed Gregory instead of giving 2 1sts for Goldson" discussion, it's not relevant.

The time for the Pats to sign Goldson was in August 2011, when he was still unsigned. SF signed him for relatively cheap, and the Pats dumped Brandon Meriweather and James Sanders shortly thereafter, leaving themselves empty at the safety position. But Gregory wasn't a factor in all that.

Exactly. But I would bet they will bring it up today (again).

This had to be expected, as alot of us figured this into our offseason plan/wishes. Not going to blast him, he is what he is - a solid rotational DB, but clearly not the answer at safety #2. Saves a good chunk of change for us, easy choice.

To be fair, 2011 is what M&F complain about. They have their facts right.

Bill is going after an upgrade! YES BILL

Gregory was retained because the youngsters needed someone with experience to properly align them for a play.

That was why Gregory was kept when some ignorant fans wanted to cut him without a thought.

Now the youngsters have a year or more experience playing together so we can substitute a better tackler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes