PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Smith Cut. Sign him now

I don't know about Smith. He is Randy Moss bad attitude and "give me the ball" on steroids. Not sure he would be happy here (but if he could shut his mouth and play, come on down!).

I don't know about Smith. He is Randy Moss bad attitude and "give me the ball" on steroids. Not sure he would be happy here (but if he could shut his mouth and play, come on down!).

Nope. If Randy had 10% of the heart and drive Smith had, we'd have won 3 back to back Superbowls with him.

Smith loves to block and plays the position the way it's meant to be played, not just when he gets the ball. He practices like Brady practices. Randy only when he felt like. He loves his fans, family and does community services. Randy loves Randy and is a total introvert. Smith punched players who insulted him with low blows. Randy curses out hotel maids and knocks over tables because he was insulted by the salad bar.

He does get mad when he's wide freaking open and his QB clings on to his first read and misses him time and time again, throws a pick into coverage, or over/underthrows him by a mile and has lashed out at Newton over it before. He also sat down next to Delhomme, after he threw 67 picks in the playoffs and said...you know Jake, I never really liked you as a QB, but man, I love you as a person. That's Smith.

That I can attest to.

@PeterBurnsRadio: Hearing pretty good chance Steve Smith will visit the #Broncos.... http://t.co/vfrSXzMGrp

No! That would suck.

@PeterBurnsRadio: Hearing pretty good chance Steve Smith will visit the #Broncos.... http://t.co/vfrSXzMGrp

No! That would suck.

So much for those who keep hoping through their misconception that DEN will somehow be worse off, after losing the mighty Eric Decker (and some OL as well).

No! That would suck.

Yes it would, but not surprised. I was right after all. Fox loves Smith and Smith loves Fox. d%#*!@t I really do not want to see him and Goober team up. Tears me up if it ends up happening.

Oh well, as a long time fan I wish him the best wherever he goes, and can understand him wanting to be back with Fox, but boy do I wish he would end up here.

Smith would make that offense dangerous, because he has what that entire offense and Manning doesn't. A spine, heart, attitude and clutchness.

The upside is he might demoralize Talib in practice over the season making him useless against us. One can hope. And if there's one guy that can shut down Smith, unlike Talib, it's Revis.

Just one thing though...I just don't get it with Welker there. Smith makes the most sense in the slot. He's more or less the same type of player, with more of a wideout role.

And if there's one guy that can shut down Smith, unlike Talib, it's Revis.

I feel like you have this really inflated opinion of a Steve Smith that's based on reputation. He's a useful veteran player and still has his moments but his stats last year were comparable to Amendola despite the fact the latter was injured for a substantial portion of the year and missed 4 full games.

I feel like you have this really inflated opinion of a Steve Smith that's based on reputation. He's a useful veteran player and still has his moments but his stats last year were comparable to Amendola despite the fact the latter was injured for a substantial portion of the year and missed 4 full games.

Oh I'm sure I'm biased, he's one of my favorite players in the NFL, but I have also literally watched just about every game he's played for 13 years so I know what he can do.

His stats last year were also a reflection of Cam Newton being reigned back. Look at Newton's stats the years prior and last year.

2011: 517 attempts 4,051 yards
2012: 485 attempts 3,869 yards
2013: 473 attempts 3,379 yards

Panthers changed their offense last year as well. So everyone's numbers were bound to go down.

Statistically and maybe even in terms of ability Amendola, as a lot of other receivers, and Smith are similar, but there are other things you look for in players, and when it comes to intangibles, there's just not many other players like Smith. When it comes to passion, edge, toughness, clutch factor, experience, circus catches galore, flexibility(I swear he could have been a gymnast), etc, there's no contest in my mind.

steve-smith-stiff-arm-o.gif

We need "that"...whatever you want to call it. And I've always felt, we needed guys like him, who have paid their dues for a long time, and are incomplete without a ring, who badly want one.

After losing Spikes, Talib, and Blount, we could use another hard ass. We have enough boy scouts. Mankins is the only guy I can think of that really intimidates anyone.

Steve Smith: 'Going to be blood and guts' if he plays Panthers in 2014

"A contract is a piece of paper. And I will always be a Carolina Panther," Smith said. "I plan to grow old with my wife in the Charlotte community and I plan to be buried in the Charlotte community."

He also thanked Jerry Richardson, the Panthers owner, for the opportunity.

"I talked to Mr. Richardson. And I thanked him for the opportunity he's given me as a man," Smith said. "I thanked him for the opportunity he's given me as an employee. For giving me a home, a home that is safe place to raise my children. And to thank him for all the things he's done for me."

He did not, however, thank Dave Gettleman, the Panthers GM. And he almost made a point to note that it was the relationship between he and Gettleman that caused his departure.

"I don't have anything bad to say about Mr. or Mrs. Richardson or the Richardson family or the Panthers organization," Smith said. "I'm not going to allow an individual I've interacted with for maybe six months or a year to change the relationships I had with multiple people in that organization for over 13 years. That will never happen and I won't do it and can't do it."

After all of the ‘dust has settled’ from his release, Smith is prepared to finally, spend time with his family, and take his son to a college soccer camp.
“Football is a part of my life. Being a husband and being a father is my life.”

Approaching 35-years old and being in the NFL free agency, Smith says he’s ready to eat “at some expensive restaurants, order some nice good steaks, and see what people have to say.”

But don’t let his age put doubts that another NFL team that might sign him:

“They’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year old guy that they can get. And if that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on because there is going to be blood and guts everywhere.

See, all BB has to show Smith, is that if he really wants to get back at the Panthers...it's not with some meaningless divisional rivalry game everyone will forget in 2 weeks. Sure that would sting a bit....but catching one of the winning TD's from Tom Brady in a Superbowl win.....that's immortality.

We can only hope he goes to the Broncos for a tryout and then Fox gives him a cold shoulder.
Will Brinson ✔ @WillBrinson
Steve Smith is going to sign 16 one-week contracts with whoever is playing against the Panthers.

LOL.

If we pick up Smith look out were going to be a very good team.

I fear he may end up in Denver. There are already reports he may be going there for a visit.

its threads like this that make me wish there was a "dislike" option. Are we going to have to have a thread for EVERY FA left, including those that make absolutely NO SENSE. :eek:

its threads like this that make me wish there was a "dislike" option. Are we going to have to have a thread for EVERY FA left, including those that make absolutely NO SENSE. :eek:
He's a wide receiver. Blame it on fantasy football/Madden '14 syndrome.

How, specifically, has his play declined?

He lacks the elite speed he once had that made him special. Signing him would be reminiscent of the Galloway signing in my opinion.

I fear he may end up in Denver. There are already reports he may be going there for a visit.

Fear of Denver is bizarre. To hell with Denver. Elway is spending like a drunken sailor on famous names, and while they're good players and the Ward signing is especially a good one, I do not fear them. Fearing teams is strange to me, you have to play and beat good teams to win and there's no purpose fearing them.

Let him go to Denver, he'll whine the moment he realizes he's the 3rd or 4th option on the team. Denver needs to address their suddenly thin offensive line more than bring in another big name receiver. I'd rather they waste money on that anyway.

Fear of Denver is bizarre. To hell with Denver. Elway is spending like a drunken sailor on famous names, and while they're good players and the Ward signing is especially a good one, I do not fear them. Fearing teams is strange to me, you have to play and beat good teams to win and there's no purpose fearing them.

Let him go to Denver, he'll whine the moment he realizes he's the 3rd or 4th option on the team. Denver needs to address their suddenly thin offensive line more than bring in another big name receiver. I'd rather they waste money on that anyway.

They added 25 million a year in the last couple days, do they even have cap room left? They still have to pay their rookies and find a starting OL, RB and WR.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m

Ravens working to finalize a visit with WR Steve Smith. Anticipate that being finalized sooner rather than later

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm 3m

Teams reaching out on WR Steve Smith: Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Redskins, Seahawks. Smith expected to talk to Ravens' Gary Kubiak tonight.

Sounds like Ravens may be in the lead here.

I'd love to have Smith but it's unlikely.

The guy might be an ass but he competes and fights for the ball when he goes up... ******** but a fierce competitor.

Just watched Pats-Cats SB on NFLN. Smith torched Tyrone Poole that game. Muhammed beat us badly too. Great game.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back