PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Smith Cut. Sign him now

If we pick up Smith look out were going to be a very good team.

That would be a dream. Imagine the Patriots becoming "a very good team".

That would be euphoric.

Just watched Pats-Cats SB on NFLN. Smith torched Tyrone Poole that game. Muhammed beat us badly too. Great game.

me too...I forgot how wide open that Caroilina WR was with under 2 minutes left...had top be a totally blown coverage

Steve Smith's stock soared with me after I thought he was quoted as saying he was going to sign 16 one-week contracts with whomever is playing against the Panthers.

That just tickles my appreciation of snarky vindictiveness to no end.. :D

But alas, it was Will Brinson who tweeted it.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m

Ravens working to finalize a visit with WR Steve Smith. Anticipate that being finalized sooner rather than later

Yesss!!!! Get it done Ozzie!

Flacco trying to loop his jump ball throws to a 5'9" 35 year old guy = Great entertainment for Pats fans!

Just watched Pats-Cats SB on NFLN. Smith torched Tyrone Poole that game. Muhammed beat us badly too. Great game.

Yup. He was a lethal weapon.

That was 11 seasons ago.

Vince Wilfork was in college.

Steve Smith - Unsigned Free Agent - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The Ravens are "working to finalize" a visit with free agent Steve Smith.

Baltimore is clearly out in front to land Smith, who would complement Dennis Pitta and Torrey Smith in new OC Gary Kubiak's offense. Kubiak never made heavy use of his No. 2 receivers in Houston, targeting "No. 1" Andre Johnson and his tight ends relentlessly. So it isn't a great spot for fantasy value.

Ya he will be going to Balt. Good. Another team that was interested in Edelman

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m

Here we go: Former Panthers WR Steve Smith is scheduled to fly tonight to Baltimore to spend Friday meeting with Ravens, per source.

I see Edelman's return

Ravens also play car this year

I went to check to see if we do but we dont

This is good news for those who want Edelman back...balt sounds to land smith

That's disappointing for me. Would have been nice to at least bring him in for a visit. Personally I prefer Smith over Edelman, but my god, I hope we at least lock up Edelman or Nicks.

I really don't want to start this season with just Gronk, Amendola, and the rookies.

According to this, we did reach out to him though...

The Patriots are among the teams that “reached out” to free-agent receiver Steve Smith, Yahoo! Sports’ Eric Edholm reported Thursday. The Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins and Seattle Seahawks also have shown interest in the five-time

Read more at: Report: Patriots Reach Out To Steve Smith After Panthers Release Him | New England Patriots | NESN.com

But the Ravens were willing in trading for him to begin with, so he might feel more love from their camp. Come on Steve, don't go to the dirty birds. They already won their ring for the next 50 years. Be smart. Flucco's going to get you killed.

Smith is definitely signing with the Ravens. They play the Panthers next year

May I ask why?

Not being facetious, with an 8 year age difference, I just cannot fathom a reason.

Simple, we're in win now mode. Steve's the better all around player this year and next year. He has the fire and heart I feel this team's missing on offense.

Edelman, despite his obvious younger age, I never see him as the future here anyway. And honestly, if you really think about it, neither do the Pats and BB. Else, he wouldn't be testing free agency right now.

May I ask why?

Not being facetious, with an 8 year age difference, I just cannot fathom a reason.

Smith is massively talented and explosive in ways that Edelperson just isn't.

May I ask why?

I am with you I cannot think of any reason to favor Smith (I am not just saying that to get back into your good graces :D). Edelman is a much better fit for this offense.

That and they are very different player. Smith is more of a Deion Branch type receiver who in his prime had elite speed and could stretch the field. I would rather have the other former Panthers WR Brandon LaFell any day of the week over a 34-year-old Smith who is considered a locker room distraction.

Smith is on the wrong side of 30. His talent and explosion is going to start to dwindle here real soon

They are different players. Smith has been a #1 his whole life

I am with you I cannot think of any reason to favor Smith (I am not just saying that to get back into your good graces :D). Edelman is a much better fit for this offense.

That and they are very different player. Smith is more of a Deion Branch type receiver who in his prime had elite speed and could stretch the field. I would rather have the other former Panthers WR Brandon LaFell any day of the week over a 34-year-old Smith who is considered a locker room distraction.

Disagree, Smith's strong point has always been yards after catch, not speed. His ability to escape and get separation and make guys miss, or stiff arm them and get loose has been his strength. He's never really been THAT speedy. Quick off the line, strong, with excellent route running and does have the ability to go up and get it. EXACTLY what we need actually.

Which is exactly what the Ravens don't do, and has me scratching my head. He's not wanting to stretch the field at his age. He wants slot and his agent even came out and said so. Maybe they plan a change on O but I don't see Flucco as that QB that can pull it off.

If the price is right, sign him. One thing the Pats badly need is veteran presence for the young wide receivers. He could help the young core of Pats wide receivers improve immediately.

Simple, we're in win now mode. Steve's the better all around player this year and next year. He has the fire and heart I feel this team's missing on offense.

Edelman, despite his obvious younger age, I never see him as the future here anyway. And honestly, if you really think about it, neither do the Pats and BB. Else, he wouldn't be testing free agency right now.

Better all-around player, Edelman can play inside or outside, is a solid run blocker, returns punts, can play special teams, and even cornerback if needed.

Smith is a 34-year-old 5’9 receiver who no longer has the speed he once possessed. He only caught 58% of his targets last season, and 52% in 2012, his yards per catch average dropped almost 5 full yards last season.

In addition, this is not the Broncos forum, we are not in a win now mode at all, nothing we have done this offseason would indicate that. Revis is 28 years old.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back