PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats' FA Class is Straightforward

There are no LTs in FA. That's the point. Trent Brown is about to make huge money because he's the best and only one.

Unless someone gets cut, which is possible. Cowboys can cut Smith since they're paying him a lot and they drafted his replacement last year. He's very old.

But there are no LTs available.

This is the whole problem with what happened in the Strange draft 2 years ago. Clearly, Belichick wanted a LT, then 6 LTs got taken before our pick, and there was no one left.
They could do what the 49ers did and trade for a LT. perhaps Smoth from the Cowboys if the Cowboys think they have his replacement.

Agree mostly but I would wanna keep zeke as rb2 and pharaoh brown as he flashed a bit as a secondary te option. They were 2 of the actual good finds by bb this year.

Id keep henry just for the sake of not creating another hole/need. Fa options aren’t any better and We have drafted poorly there since gronk/hern. Dont want another 2019/2020 situation at te.

Dugger has playmaking ability, not sure if hes worth opening up the wallet tho. Thats a tough one to predict
I too wouldn't overpay for Dugger (and I'm not so sure we can't do as well through the draft or via FA, we could actually let him walk if need be).

i half-heartedly agree, and do think that 2023 was the one more year run for him... but ultimately I have (a little?) too much respect for him as a player & team leader to unceremoniously just dump his ass in a thread about free agency... eh, i get it, its stupid, but that just how i feel about him as a player
I do hope he retires. But, I would welcome him as a Special Teams coaching assistant.

Wilson has shown up more of late, and I'd rather keep him than look for another low-value FA, or risk a draft pick.
- he's only 25 and shouldn't have a hot market

Dugger will cost too much, and has shown to be a coverage liability. Peppers is the new leader of the D.

Bryant has been a polarizing player, but in the right role, he's a decent role-player. If he takes the hometown discount, could stay
Bryant should be way down on the depth chart if the talent before him improves. I'll take Peppers over Dugger and add through the draft and/or FA. I would keep Wilson if the price was right (but we still need an upgrade in talent at that position).

They could do what the 49ers did and trade for a LT. perhaps Smoth from the Cowboys if the Cowboys think they have his replacement.
But if he's a decent LT he'll cost you at least the 2nd rder.

I do realize we need an LT with experience and can't go into the season with a 2nd rd rookie.

I just looked up Smith, he is 33 years old, he completely tore his plantar fascia this weekend, and has a long road back. He was moved from playing LT anyway to guard.

These players are in very short supply.

The Patriots might blow everyone's mind by taking Joe Alt in the 1st round and then JJ McCarthy in the early 2nd.

But if he's a decent LT he'll cost you at least the 2nd rder.

I do realize we need an LT with experience and can't go into the season with a 2nd rd rookie.

I just looked up Smith, he is 33 years old, he completely tore his plantar fascia this weekend, and has a long road back. He was moved from playing LT anyway to guard.

These players are in very short supply.

The Patriots might blow everyone's mind by taking Joe Alt in the 1st round and then JJ McCarthy in the early 2nd.
Didn’t know of Smith’s injury. He’s out then.

I want Onwenu back, but not at the price of the tag for OLine which is likely about 20 million. He’s good, but not 20 million good. He’s a player that actually should already be signed. Pats have a bad habit of letting good players become free agents and then ending up having to pay a higher market price than if they had signed the player a year early. Henry should also have been extended. Poor management to go into the offseason with no decent TEs or Tackles under contract.
I strongly disagree.

DEFENSE
I don't think our new management should affect whether we want to re-sign Jennings, Wilson, Mills, Bryant, Uche or Flowers. Perhaps new management might affect how much we will be willing to pay Dugger. I suspect not.

OFFENSE
Yes, Onwenu is a no-brainer.

However, I believe that Elliott is also a decision independent of management. I think that we need a 2nd quality back at a reasonable price.

I GUESS THAT I AGREE
that the choice of how much we go after Henry, Gesicki and Brown MIGHT be contingent on new management. Frankly, I don't see any connection. Henry and Brown were fine choices of this management. I don't think that new management will disagree.

Yes, I suppose that I agree that a new management might choose not to try to re-sign Bourne.
===================
I DO THINK
that who we try to sign from other teams is dependent on new management, their attitude toward the Offense and the draft.

If we pick at #4 or #5 or 6, I don't see this strategy as being a shocker.

Of course, many may disagree, wanting a different QB at 4 or 5 or 6, or a different QB though trade down or trade up.
=========
If we pick Alt at 3, the board would indeed go ballistic.

Henry is solid at pass catching but sucks as a run blocker. Unfortunately, aside from signing Bowers there isn’t and upgrade to be found so they are probably gonna find themselves overpaying again for his services.
Paying market value is NOT overpaying.

If we pick at #4 or #5 or 6, I don't see this strategy as being a shocker.

Of course, many may disagree, wanting a different QB at 4 or 5 or 6, or a different QB though trade down or trade up.
=========
If we pick Alt at 3, the board would indeed go ballistic.
It would be a need pick.

There are no other options for LT. We can't make one materialize.

We could sign a QB in FA, like Kirk Cousins.

It would hamper the longterm future of the franchise, but the alternative is watching Vederian Lowe at LT all next year.

Trade down from 4 to 6 (one of Alt or Fashanu should be available there). You pick up an extra 2nd (assuming the #6 teams wants a QB).

For everyone down on Dugger, go have a look at what he did in 2022 when he should've been a Pro Bowler. No other defensive player in the NFL made more big plays than him. 3 TDs and responsible for a couple more.

He was miscast this year as a FS playing deep. He's not that. His ability is at the line of scrimmage.

This also speaks to the fact that the team needs a free safety. Someone like Cole Bishop from Utah in the 4th round.

I strongly disagree.

DEFENSE
I don't think our new management should affect whether we want to re-sign Jennings, Wilson, Mills, Bryant, Uche or Flowers. Perhaps new management might affect how much we will be willing to pay Dugger. I suspect not.

OFFENSE
Yes, Onwenu is a no-brainer.

However, I believe that Elliott is also a decision independent of management. I think that we need a 2nd quality back at a reasonable price.

I GUESS THAT I AGREE
that the choice of how much we go after Henry, Gesicki and Brown MIGHT be contingent on new management. Frankly, I don't see any connection. Henry and Brown were fine choices of this management. I don't think that new management will disagree.

Yes, I suppose that I agree that a new management might choose not to try to re-sign Bourne.
===================
I DO THINK
that who we try to sign from other teams is dependent on new management, their attitude toward the Offense and the draft.
Which part do you disagree with? That Onwenu is not worth the 20 million tag? I actually don’t think it comes to 5hst and they sign him to a contract with an average value several million less than the tag.

We cannot really discuss any of these FA until we know what the Pats are going to do with the GM and head coach.
spot on.

otoh, in a week or so, we get to restart all these threads lol

It would be a need pick.

There are no other options for LT. We can't make one materialize.

We could sign a QB in FA, like Kirk Cousins.

It would hamper the longterm future of the franchise, but the alternative is watching Vederian Lowe at LT all next year.

Trade down from 4 to 6 (one of Alt or Fashanu should be available there). You pick up an extra 2nd (assuming the #6 teams wants a QB).
So, Cousins at $35M is the answer? Of course, that is if we win the bidding against other teams. For me, that is very, very unlikely.
==================
MY OPTIONS IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE

PICK A QB AT 4 or 5 or 6 or 7
There is NO overpaying if we believe that we have our franchise QB. Daniels comes to mind, but there are others. Then we would draft 2 OT's by the end of the 4th round, perhaps including trading into the first. YUP, we would use our first FOUR picks to get our QB of the future and our LT of the future, and a backup OT to joining McDermott as a 2024 backup and probably swing OT in 2024 or 2025.

TRADE DOWN AND PICK A QB IN MID-FIRST
Then, use the additional pick and the 2nd to move up to draft a 1st round OT near the bottom of the first. Finally, use a 3rd or 4th to draft a backup OT. This leaves a 3rd or 4th for a corner or WR.

PICKING A TACKLE AT 4, 5 or 6
Sure, we get a starting OT for 5 years, after paying Onwenu.

We would then hope to move up with our 2nd and 3rd into the first for whatever QB is left that we like after signing a mid-level free agent QB at $20M a year, and likely drafting another QB in the 5th or 6th to compete with Zappe. In addition, we would use a 3rd or 4th for a backup OT, and still have a 3rd or 4th for a corner or WR.

Yes, obviously. It's $80m guaranteed for a guy that has given up a lot of sacks.

That's the kind of horrible deal that kills a franchise. They won't get out from under that terrible contract for a very long time
Ok maybe Mayo or our next HC should kiss and make up with Mount Trent Brown.

Comments:

1.) Yep, not gonna be straightforward.

2.) Onwenu is gonna command a serious market....I mean the guy is ideally a RG, but has played at RT and LT in the past. If the market price gets too high...we might have to consider letting him walk for a comp 3rd round pick. I mean we drafted Sow and Mafi...

3.) Dugger...I agree...he might be too expensive for what we would get from him...a sure tackler in the secondary, but spotty in coverage. Feel that he can be replaced somewhat at a significantly lower cost.

4.) We might also need to give Judon another raise as well.

5.) I'd be OK with resigning Henry...just so that we don't have to go looking for another TE. Pair him with Brown...and add another TE in the draft.

6.) Trent Brown might have value to us if we draft Penix Jr. after drafting a LT....we could flip Brown back to RT...he can like it or not (shrugs). I think Brown walks anyway because the only deal we would do with him would be incentive based, IMO.

Which part do you disagree with? That Onwenu is not worth the 20 million tag? I actually don’t think it comes to 5hst and they sign him to a contract with an average value several million less than the tag.
fair enough

My response was really meant for those who think that we need to wait until we have a new GM and HC to jusdge whether what decisions we prefer on our free agents.
========
With respect to Onwenu, I would indeed pay a lot for him, including the tag amount. We have backed ourselves into a carner. We have no OT's for next year except McDermott and Love. We are very unlikely to get a better value in free agency.

Finally, I do NOT want to be committed to finding THREE OT's in free agency and the draft, in addition to TWO quarterbacks.

So, yes, given our situation, the franchise tag is meant for this situation. That being said, I suspect that the team will be able to negotiate a contract with Onwenu, and yes, it will cost us a lot.
=========
Of course, we can take a somewhat "normal" patriot approach and just offer a FAIR deal and tell him he can come back to negotiate after seeing what other teams will pay. Sure, this is automatic is the 3 days before the season starts, but the team may be tempted to wait rather than locking him up.

Comments:

2.) Onwenu is gonna command a serious market....I mean the guy is ideally a RG, but has played at RT and LT in the past. If the market price gets too high...we might have to consider letting him walk for a comp 3rd round pick. I mean we drafted Sow and Mafi...

3.) Dugger...I agree...he might be too expensive for what we would get from him...a sure tackler in the secondary, but spotty in coverage. Feel that he can be replaced somewhat at a significantly lower cost.

5.) I'd be OK with resigning Henry...just so that we don't have to go looking for another TE. Pair him with Brown...and add another TE in the draft.

6.) Trent Brown might have value to us if we draft Penix Jr. after drafting a LT....we could flip Brown back to RT...he can like it or not (shrugs). I think Brown walks anyway because the only deal we would do with him would be incentive based, IMO.
1. Yep
2. He's WORTH IT. Pay him. The Pats biggest roster problem right now is their attitude of the price being "too high" for lots of players. Pay him. Do not let him leave. Full stop.
3. Dugger depends on cost, I agree. Mapu needs more playing time and the Pats could use a real FS.
4. Not now.
5.Henry or Gesicki. But don't break the bank for a TE.
6. I think the boat has sailed after the playing time incentive incident. Liked him, but not for any big $$$ without massive incentives. Draft a tackle high. As for Penix, watched him last night, and if the Pats grabbed him late in 1 or in 2, I'd be okay with it. I know about the injuries, but that man has a sweet, sweet touch on the ball, doesn't flinch in the face of adversity, and commands that offense. I had Nix above him until I watched them together in the same game. Penix is for real.

Yes, obviously. It's $80m guaranteed for a guy that has given up a lot of sacks.

That's the kind of horrible deal that kills a franchise. They won't get out from under that terrible contract for 3 more yrs. They need to protect their QB and they can't.
upstater that's what I don't like with you and the IBBWT crowd which should be dwindling even more. Teams pay those guys Top $$$$$ every year in FA so if it's Trent Brown in 2024 he'll get Top Dollar. What did your God BB once say "There's only so many of those guys on the planet" BB's cheap way have worked out very well for our 31st or 32nd ranked Offense keep saving those cap dollar and sign scrubs. :rolleyes:

Comments:

And who protects the Young Franchise QB?? Get that BB steng off its' a new NFL age.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back