PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why such a hateful backlash against Brady? [merged: Shaugnessy article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why such a hateful backlash against Brady?

There's a big difference. The offensive linemen are Brady's teammates - they're like family. When Shaughnessy does it - just look at the comments underneath, people are buying what he's selling and now think Brady is some kind of slacker.

Shaughnessy isn't content to let athletes be idolized in this town, so he tries to take them down a peg, whether its thinly disguised sarcasm or not (honestly, I can't tell in this article).

Which is besides the point. The article wasn't a chiding. It was an odd, misplaced, generally sexist rant.

1.) It wasn't sexist. It was a dig at 'macho'. For the record, most men AND women prefer their men manly and their women womanly, because people realize that there are, in fact, differences between the sexes. It's why "metrosexual" isn't considered the height of maleness.

2.) It wasn't odd or misplaced, it was a failed attempt at humor. They can't all be gems, as that particular writer has proven often in recent years.

3.) The irony of complaining about a backlash by participating in a backlash seems to have escaped a whole lot of people.

4.) Brady is often self-deprecating, and I doubt he felt offended for being teased about having a famous "super model" hand feeding him.

I just read it, and I really want to punch Shaughnessy in the face.

Thats what i usually want to do to him too. I don't read his rubbish anymore.

1.) It wasn't sexist. It was a dig at 'macho'. For the record, most men AND women prefer their men manly and their women womanly, because people realize that there are, in fact, differences between the sexes. It's why "metrosexual" isn't considered the height of maleness.

2.) It wasn't odd or misplaced, it was a failed attempt at humor. They can't all be gems, as that particular writer has proven often in recent years.

3.) The irony of complaining about a backlash by participating in a backlash seems to have escaped a whole lot of people.

4.) Brady is often self-deprecating, and I doubt he felt offended for being teased about having a famous "super model" hand feeding him.

1) I'm still not sold that it was satire. I emailed him asking, and he responded without an answer.

2) Yes, it was not funny.

3) The backlash against Shaugnessy is justified. He's no different than TMZ or the paparazzi, he's capitalizing on Brady's celebrity.

4) The spirit of the article was not teasing, and again, Shank himself couldn't say if it was satire.

Well, ok, but the writer teased Brady about the same sorts of things that Brady's O-line tease him about, so he obviously has to die.

Tom_Brady2.jpg

Yup..... Tom must be above chiding, no matter what.

This is what I don't get. People think that holding a lamb is not manly, but going down on it and gnawing its testes, like Grey Ruegmer used to brag about, is manly.

Really weird.

1) I'm still not sold that it was satire. I emailed him asking, and he responded without an answer.

Everything he writes is satire, even when it's not intentional. He's become a shadow of his former self, but he's still paid to do a job. The Globe was once the best sports section in the country, but that's no longer the case.

2) Yes, it was not funny.

See above

3) The backlash against Shaugnessy is justified. He's no different than TMZ or the paparazzi, he's capitalizing on Brady's celebrity.

No, he's a sportswriter who's paid to write about sports. In football, there are no games this week, so people write puff pieces and silliness. This stuff happens all the time.

4) The spirit of the article was not teasing, and again, Shank himself couldn't say if it was satire.

Shank, as you call him, was clearly either spearing Brady or 'machismo'. If you think he's spearing Brady, ask yourself a question: "Would Brady be offended because someone thought being hand-fed by a supermodel was less than manly?" When you realize that Brady would laugh his ass off and show it to his Brazilian honey to share in the laugh, you realize that it doesn't really matter how the writer meant the piece.

Last edited:

This is what I don't get. People think that holding a lamb is not manly, but going down on it and gnawing its testes, like Grey Ruegmer used to brag about, is manly.

Really weird.

Wrestling a bull to the ground with your bare hands = Butch

Holding "snuggles" the cat = not so much

Sometimes "manly" and "pretty nasty/stupid/useless" are one and the same. It's part of the absurd glory that is mankind.

I just read it, and I really want to punch Shaughnessy in the face.

Having said that, I like how Brady's "soft" for doing all the things that any normal, loving husband/boyfriend does when he's with his woman.

Having said that, I still want to punch Shaughnessy in the face.

Talk about soft.....have any of you seen this douche bag up close? He's a pale faced, doughy pile of dog sh(t with "man boobs"......(there is a picture for ya!).....

He is just jealous that Tom is sleeping with a supermodel every night.....while Sh!tlessy is sleeping with his inflatable doll..........

Wrestling a bull to the ground with your bare hands = Butch

Holding "snuggles" the cat = not so much

Sometimes "manly" and "pretty nasty/stupid/useless" are one and the same. It's part of the absurd glory that is mankind.

While I'm not particularly put off by the photo, it's not a typical representation of a "tough guy" NFL player. I'm having a difficult time substituting Wilfork for Brady here. Perhaps this adjustment would be more readily acceptable by some fans.

Last edited:
Re: Dan Shaughnessy

according to BSM he is being sarcastic

Boston Sports Media Watch Globe: Brady On Track For ‘09 Opener

i personally dont care to read shaugnessy.

Now that i've finally read the article, I don't understand why people think he was serious. The same goes for the comments below the article. It all sounded like a joke to me. I'd say he probably wrote it after reading some of the dumb comments on this board ( practice squad forum) about trading Brady. :rolleyes:

What is the problem from BostonHerald with Tom ? Especially that he and Gisele are very happy and in very in love and do PDA. They wrote every day about that.

Shank, as you call him, was clearly either spearing Brady or 'machismo'. If you think he's spearing Brady, ask yourself a question: "Would Brady be offended because someone thought being hand-fed by a supermodel was less than manly?" When you realize that Brady would laugh his ass off and show it to his Brazilian honey to share in the laugh, you realize that it doesn't really matter how the writer meant the piece.

Would Brady be offended by the article? No. But would he like that it certain fans are now espousing Shaugnessy's line of thinking? No, I don't think he would. I'm sure Brady doesn't give a shyt what most people think of him, but I'm also sure he probably enjoy having the support of Patriots fans. Shaugnessy's article, whether he was spearing Brady or machismo, resulted in stirring the pot.

Puff piece or otherwise, Brady was on vacation, its an invasion of his privacy, and I would expect on article about it from The Track, but the Globe generally likes to think it has higher journalistic standards, even from its sportswriters.

As for whether it was an attack on Brady or an attack on machismo - I think the answer probably lies in the middle. Shaugnessy's "satire" normally revolves around beliefs he subscribes to. Bottom line - this guy is a troll who enjoys stirring the pot. We're talking about a guy who pissed off Theo enough to quit by leaking (factually incorrect) information from the Sox front office.

And maybe thats fine on talk radio, blogs, etc. - but a reputable source of news should have higher standards.

Would Brady be offended by the article? No. But would he like that it certain fans are now espousing Shaugnessy's line of thinking? No, I don't think he would. I'm sure Brady doesn't give a shyt what most people think of him, but I'm also sure he probably enjoy having the support of Patriots fans. Shaugnessy's article, whether he was spearing Brady or machismo, resulted in stirring the pot.

Puff piece or otherwise, Brady was on vacation, its an invasion of his privacy, and I would expect on article about it from The Track, but the Globe generally likes to think it has higher journalistic standards, even from its sportswriters.

As for whether it was an attack on Brady or an attack on machismo - I think the answer probably lies in the middle. Shaugnessy's "satire" normally revolves around beliefs he subscribes to. Bottom line - this guy is a troll who enjoys stirring the pot. We're talking about a guy who pissed off Theo enough to quit by leaking (factually incorrect) information from the Sox front office.

And maybe thats fine on talk radio, blogs, etc. - but a reputable source of news should have higher standards.

This has never been the case, and probably never will be. Newpapers, and other 'serious' news outlets, have always pried into private lives. In different eras, and at different news outlets, what was reported and what was hushed up varied, but that's the extent of it. Why would you expect that Brady would be exempt from the way news has been done since day one?

This has never been the case, and probably never will be. Newpapers, and other 'serious' news outlets, have always pried into private lives. In different eras, and at different news outlets, what was reported and what was hushed up varied, but that's the extent of it. Why would you expect that Brady would be exempt from the way news has been done since day one?

Because I can't think of another athlete that the Boston Globe has ever showed Paparazzi pictures of and written a borderline satirical article poking fun at him and his girlfriend. I do think this is well out of the realm of the sports pages on the Boston Globe.

I am still amazed at the hatred we Pats fans show towards the writers. CHB's article was not funny, but was imho was not serious. If you want him to stop writing this kind of crap don't click on a link to go to the article. Do not email him your displeasure. By emailing him you are telling him he has done his job. He is a columnist, not a beat writer. He articles are suppose to make you pissed. Also reporters are allowed to write negative pieces on sports teams. Every article that you don't like does not need to be talked about or emailed about. How many of you email the writer if he writes a column you liked? Some Pats fans take it way to personal when a negative piece is written.

Because I can't think of another athlete that the Boston Globe has ever showed Paparazzi pictures of and written a borderline satirical article poking fun at him and his girlfriend. I do think this is well out of the realm of the sports pages on the Boston Globe.

Ok, so you don't read newspapers enough to know that they thrive on personal puff pieces, articles about the home lives of athletes, etc? You missed the entire "Romo on vacation with Jessica" thing? You'd never picked up the local paper before this article was written? Come on, now....

Shaugnessy got exactly what he wanted with that article now. It's linked on the front page of the Yahoo Sport Section with the Title, "Boston Globe columnist says Tom Brady's 'gone soft' "

Congrats Shaugnessy, you are the sparkle in the eye of every Patriot Hater in the land and you got National Attention with that Satirical or Serious or WHAT THE F#@$ EVER you meant that piece to be.

Well done, Idiot.

Ok, so you don't read newspapers enough to know that they thrive on personal puff pieces, articles about the home lives of athletes, etc? You missed the entire "Romo on vacation with Jessica" thing? You'd never picked up the local paper before this article was written? Come on, now....

Honestly, no, I never saw that stuff in newspapers that circulate nationally, ie the Globe. I've seen that on perezhilton.com and sites of that ilk. And if it were to hit the Globe or Herald, it would go to their gossip or a/e column, not be written by a sports columnist.

There's a substantive point here, and you and Shaughnessy are united on the sexist side of the debate.

Hence the outcry about the failed joke. It's not just a failed joke. It's a failed joke based on a sexist message that some people -- like you -- unfortunately take seriously.

There's a substantive point here, and you and Shaughnessy are united on the sexist side of the debate.

Hence the outcry about the failed joke. It's not just a failed joke. It's a failed joke based on a sexist message that some people -- like you -- unfortunately take seriously.

That's just ridiculous of you to say. The truth is simple, and should be obvious to anyone with working eyes: men and women are, in fact, different, both in what you can see (body) and in what you can't (brain.). Science has verified this to the point where even a very liberal news publication like Time Magazine has accepted it. Noting that, and realizing that it has consequences, doesn't make one a "sexist" in the pejorative form of the term.

Also, "the outcry about the failed joke" is just the excuse du jour. This site, like many others, lives for pummeling the journalists. From Mortensen, to King, to anyone else who's ever spoken or written even the mildest of negative commentary about the Patriots, the savaging here needs little urging and even less reasonable justification.

As your post illustrates....

That's just ridiculous of you to say. The truth is simple, and should be obvious to anyone with working eyes: men and women are, in fact, different, both in what you can see (body) and in what you can't (brain.). Science has verified this to the point where even a very liberal news publication like Time Magazine has accepted it. Noting that, and realizing that it has consequences, doesn't make one a "sexist" in the pejorative form of the term.

Also, "the outcry about the failed joke" is just the excuse du jour. This site, like many others, lives for pummeling the journalists. From Mortensen, to King, to anyone else who's ever spoken or written even the mildest of negative commentary about the Patriots, the savaging here needs little urging and even less reasonable justification.

As your post illustrates....

In fairness, it's a Pats site - So the Homerism runs pretty deep here. Whether that's good or bad is another argument altogether.

I hesitated to post about the article because I think I read it for what it was, sensationalism. And if that's the way Shaugnessy wants to roll, that's his deal - He can deal with what Tom thinks about it next time he tries to get an interview or an answer to a question he posses to him.

However, when he gains National attention with S$#t like that, it pisses me off, it presses my Homer button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents