PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

In five years I think Mallet will be the best QB in the league, QB is a premium position. Look what the Redskins gave up for RG3. Not saying it is going to happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6th overall pick given up for him.

From your KeyBoard to the Gods' Eyes, Brother Avenger!! :D :rocker:

Wait a second. . . .

Grid, when did you come around on Mallett, and thinking that he could be the best QB in the NFL?

Weren't you willing to trade him for anything the Patriots could get? :confused:

Never!! :D

I think Mallett's about as useful as a Screen Door on a SubMarine!!

It was Brother Avenger's desire to rob the Browns that I was applauding!! :D

Wait a second. . . . Grid, when did you come around on Mallett, and thinking that he could be the best QB in the NFL? Weren't you willing to trade him for anything the Patriots could get? :confused:

That draft was one of the few times Grid blew a gasket. 73 boiled with Ridley and 74 sent him into a tailspin. He has since half recovered from the endeavor due to Ridleys excellence.

That draft was one of the few times Grid blew a gasket. 73 boiled with Ridley and 74 sent him into a tailspin. He has since half recovered from the endeavor due to Ridleys excellence.

Yeah, I'm afraid that that sums it up perfectly!!
jester.gif

This, mind you, was after we'd stupidly turned down the Miners offer of #45, #76, and their 2012 3rd Rounder for #33 ~ if Peter King's sources are correct ~ which we used to draft Ras I Dowling, for the love of GOD!! :mad:

Of course, it was also the weekend that we'd drafted Nate "Universal" Solder and "Careening" Shane Vereen...so I managed to survive the ordeal!! :D

Yeah, I'm afraid that that sums it up perfectly!!
jester.gif

This, mind you, was after we'd stupidly turned down the Miners offer of #45, #76, and their 2012 3rd Rounder for #33 ~ if Peter King's sources are correct ~ which we used to draft Ras I Dowling, for the love of GOD!! :mad:

Of course, it was also the weekend that we'd drafted Nate "Universal" Solder and "Careening" Shane Vereen...so I managed to survive the ordeal!! :D

45,76 and 2012 3rd? That was a ransom. Looking back at 45 and back there really wasn't a known home run talent so it would of been tough to hit. Who knew Cobb, T Smith and D Murray would be as good as they are? The fact they missed out and weren't able turn those picks into more 2012 picks is what stinks if the rumor is true.

45,76 and 2012 3rd? That was a ransom. Looking back at 45 and back there really wasn't a known home run talent so it would of been tough to hit. Who knew Cobb, T Smith and D Murray would be as good as they are? The fact they missed out and weren't able turn those picks into more 2012 picks is what stinks if the rumor is true.

That's essentially a mid-2, a mid-3, and a late 4. I can sort of understand why they passed.

That's essentially a mid-2, a mid-3, and a late 4. I can sort of understand why they passed.

Wow. Really?? I would've jumped all over that deal.

The alternative ~ Ras I Dowling ~ certainly sucked.

Remember, Belichick liked Dowling to the point where he would have been the pick at 28 had they not traded down. At pick 33, is a third and a future third worth the risk on a guy you think has been BPA for the last five picks?

OK, first I want to say is this is just a fantasy mock draft, just for fun and it’s not supposed to be realistic. I’m just trying to fit all the guys I like in there, so don’t bother telling me it’s unrealistic, I already know.

With this particular draft I actually like the talent in the 2nd/3rd round just as much as the first. There are only a handful of guys that I think will go in the 1st round that are clearly superior to the alternatives a bit later (Ansah). So I would look to move down and get as many extra picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds as I can.

Re-Sign
CB- Aqib Talib
WR- Wes Welker
WR- Julian Edelman
RB- Danny Woodhead
CB- Kyle Arrington

Free Agent Signing
DT- Glenn Dorsey

Tag and Trade OT- Sebastian Vollmer to SD for 2(45) + 4(107)
I don’t think we can keep all three of our big free agents and I think Vollmer is the easiest for us to replace. I also think he will command the most in a tag and trade situation with so many teams looking for OT help and the supply of quality guys limited. I think in order to pull this off we would need to agree to a contract with Welker, but not make it official until after the Vollmer trade to fit it under the cap.

Draft
*Trade QB- Ryan Mallett to Cle for 1(6)*

*Trade 1(6) to Stl for 1(16) + 1(22)*
Stl trades up ahead of Arizona for LT Eric Fisher- Central Michigan

*Trade 1(16) + 2014 3rd to Arizona for 2(38) + 2014 1st *
I expect Arizona to go QB at 7 with the top 2 LT’s off the board. Then desperately need OT help though so move back up to grab Lane Johnson from Oklahoma. They basically swap a 2nd for a 1st now, while swapping their 1st for a 3rd next year.

*Trade 1(22) + 3 (91) to Cin for 2(32) +2(53) + 4(115)*
Cinci has extra picks so they are aggressive to move up and grab a guy they like at 22

1 (29)- QB- Matt Barkely- USC
Don’t bother, I already know you don’t like this pick. Would you hate it if this was AJ McCarron or Teddy Bridgewater? Because that is how I feel about Barkley. I believe he is the one and now could be the time to look at football beyond Tom Brady.

2 (37)- OL- Barrett Jones- Alabama
This was a toss-up between Jones, Fluker and possibly Cooper. In the end I looked past athleticism and upside and went back to the tape. I think Barrett Jones is the best Offensive Lineman in College football and his intelligence, instincts and versatility put him over Coopers athleticism or Fluker’s potential dominance. I think Jones could start at C or RG from day 1 and I think he could also challenge Marcus Cannon for the starting RT spot as well.

*Trade 2(38) to SF for 2(62) +3(74) + 5(150)*
Like Cinci earlier, SF has extra picks and is aggressive to move up

2 (45)- WR- Justin Hunter- Tennessee
I think this guy is the perfect fit as the big, athletic, playmaking WR on the outside. His playing style is a mixture of AJ Green and Randy Moss, but he still needs some developing before he is at that level. Although he certainly has the athleticism and potential to do so. He has more upside than any WR since Calvin Johnson. Even if it’s not Hunter, this is a great spot for a WR. There are a lot of guys that could be available here that I would be happy taking.

2 (53)- WR- Da’Rick Rogers- Tennessee Tech
This is the physical WR I would like to pair with Hunter. I love the way Rogers plays the game and before the 2012 season I had him as my top rated WR. Obviously he has character concerns that need to check out, but if he does I think he is a great fit. Like #45, I think there are a lot of good options here as well if Rogers isn’t the pick.

*Trade 2(59) to TB for 3(74) + 4(109)*

2 (62)- S- TJ McDonald- USC
One of the things that I have learnt over this process is to trust your own evaluation and not let others change your mind if you feel strongly about a player. All along I have loved TJ McDonald and thought he was the best fit at SS for this team. He is big, strong, athletic and instinctive. He would add a physicality and attitude to our defense which we have lacked since Rodney. He is good matching up against TEs in man coverage, but could struggle against smaller slot WR. But he is able to play the deep CF role and allow McCourty to move down onto those smaller, quicker guys. Add in his experience, pedigree and the leadership and I think he is a great pick.

3. (73)-DE- Cornellius ‘Tank’ Carradine- Florida State
If he is here he is a steal. I love taking chances on guys that fall due to injury and Tank is no different. I think he would be a great addition to our DL rotation and could develop into a starter opposite Chandler Jones. As the Giants have shown, you can never have too much depth and talent on the D-Line.

3 (74)-OT- Terron Armstead- Arkansas-Pine Bluff
I’m normally very wary of taking these fast risers in the draft, but I am a huge fan of Armstead. You justdon’t find guys his size with that kind of athleticism. I think he is the perfect blank canvas to give to Dante to mold into the Patriots next All-Pro O-Lineman. I think he could play both OG and OT given some time to develop. He could also play as a 3rd OT or blocking TE in heavy offensive formations early on while he is developing.

4 (197)-CB- Nickel Robey- USC
Even though he is undersized as an outside CB, I think he would be a perfect nickel slot CB. Given his special teams ability I think he could also fill the role as the #5 CB and primary special teams player. Just a really good competitor who I think would be a great addition to the secondary.

4 (109)- LB- Ty Powell- Harding
Former Community College S turned DE who will transition to OLB in the NFL. I think he has the athleticism and potential to develop into a good coverage LBer. People were raving about his change of direction ability at the Senior Bowl and he should be a 4.55-4.65 40 guy. He is also a pretty good pass rusher and could also see some snaps there in a situational role. Add in his special teams ability and I think he could easily make the roster based on his versatility.

4 (115)- TE- Michael Williams- Alabama
This guy has been my ultimate Binkie for 2 years. He will step into the NFL and arguably be the best blocking TE from day 1. He is also a sneaky athlete who has a knack for coming up with important catches. This a more athletic, pass catching threat version of Alge Crumpler.

5 (150)- CB- Aaron Hester- UCLA
I think this guy is one of the more underrated prospects in the draft and a great fit as a physical man to man CB. He has great size and legth, good speed and is very active in run support. He is only average in zone coverage, but he is very good in man coverage his length allows him to press at the line.

7 (202)- K- Dustin Hopkins- Florida State
There has been some discussion about Gostkowski on the main board lately and whether or not he is worth his contract. I don’t think its ever a bad idea to add some young competition, and if Hopkins can earn the job in training camp, he could save the Pats over $2mil in cap space by cutting Gost and spreading the cap hit over 2 years.

7 (219)- LS- Carson Tinker
Normally I would be against drafting a LS at all, but Tinker is clearly the best guy available and I wouldn’t want to risk missing out on him. He should be an upgrade over Aiken.

Camp Roster
I have realized that it is a useless exercise trying to predict a 53 man roster at this stage, so what I am trying to do is create great depth and competition in camp to get a strong 53 and cover for injuries. I would much rather cut a 4th round pick because we have great depth than have a bunch of UDFA’s make the roster. I also believe that no position is too small to upgrade, so adding competition at K and LS are only positive.

QB- Brady, Barkley, Kafka
RB- Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Bolden, Demps, Devlin (FB), Larsen (FB)
WR- Welker, Lloyd, Hunter, Rogers, Edelman, Slater, Ebert, Aiken, Holmes
TE- Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard, Williams, Fells, Herman
OT- Solder, Cannon, Armstead, Zusevics, Hix
OG/C- Mankins, Connolly, Jones, Wendell, McDonald

DT- Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Dorsey, Armstead, Forston, Pryor, Robertson
DE- Jones, Ninko, Carradine, Bequette, Bernard, Francis, Cunningham, Vega
LB- Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher, Powell, Tarpanian, Rivera
CB- Talib, Dennard, Dowling, Arrington, Robey, Hester, Williams
S- McCourty, McDonald, Wilson, Gregory, Ebner

K- Gostkowski, Hopkins
P- Mesko
LS- Aiken, Tinker

That would leave the roster at about 75 before cap cuts which should still leave us with a decent amount of room for vet FA’s and UDFA’s. It also leaves us with a 1st round pick in 2014 from Arizona, who would likely have a rookie QB and LT.

Belichick wouldn't pick 3 Trojans even if headed to a Roman Orgy.

Terrence Williams and Jesse Williams. First two picks.

Not in order, just hopefully they'll be available.

where is nick kasa projected to go?

where is nick kasa projected to go?

I would say right now that anywhere between 4th and 6th, likely to the bottom end of that projection. However, he could be a combine standout and if so, I could see him going 3rd to 4th.

This is a very strong TE class so that could impede his upward progress a bit.

Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to Browns for 2013 3rd, and 2014 2nd. I'm not banking on 6 overall. If Cleveland is interested this is more the offer they will get.

29. Jonathan Cooper. Guard-North Carolina.

59. Markus Wheaton Wr-Oregon State.

68. Phillip Thomas Fs-Fresno st.

91. Brian Winters Guard-Kent st.

Sucks not having a lot of picks. Cooper was picked over the Dts and Tavon Austin because he is just the better prospect at his position.actually he is dominating. Like Williams over Wheaton but he wont be there. Wheaton might not even be there. Love Thomas but if they go with a prime free agent you can scratch the pick. Winters has huge upside,like Carradine but he will sit due to injury for the year.

Too much caffeine today. Going to throw one of those crazy mocks out there. It's all about improving the defense to me. Let Welker and Talib go.

1. Trade Mallett and a tagged Sebastian Vollmer to Cleveland for the 6th pick. Allows Lombardi to save face and improve their ol. They have tons of cap space.

2. Trade 6th and 29th to Rams for 16 and 22 and their 2nd 46th. The Rams need Eric Fisher is why they want to trade up.

3. Trade 46th overall for Percy Harvin. Getting the Moss treatment contract wise. Let's see howhe does and talk at the end of the year.

4. Sign DRC and Kenny Phillips. CB and Safety. Re-upping D. Thomas and J. Edelman.
Also letting K. Arrington walk. Would like to find a veteran olb who can play the pass and
special teams. My guy would be Darryl Smith - Jax.

Draft
1. 16th Datone Jones - DE - UCLA Slides inside to dt in nickel. No Richard Seymour
but that's the model I'm looking for. No fatties. Maybe Ziggy, guessing BB likes Jones background
and experience more.

22nd trade - Couldn't help myself. To Buffalo for 41st and number one in 2014.

2a 41st - Jordan Poyer - CB - Oregon St - A third cb is a starter in the NFL.
No confidence in Dowling. Could change after combine.

2b 59th - Quinton Patton - WR - La. Tech - Bigger target than some other guys. Nice
troika of Harvin, Lloyd and him. Keeping Edelman too.

3 91 - Brian Winters - OL - Kent St - For those panicked I didn't take an OT earlier. I have confidence in Marcus Cannon. And, would also like to point out the greatest offense
in NFL history started a rookie from the MAC.

No idea about 7th rounders. I do like that kicker from FSU Hopkins and Mike Mauti if
he falls that far.

I wanted to improve our play on the perimiter cb and wr. I believe I have with Harvin and Patton at wr. CB too with DRC and Poyer. I'm in the Talib is a tad over-rated camp and McCourty to FS helped the defense almost as much just by adding him. Need to replace him. And, I think DRC will do the job in a stable atmosphere. Philly and their wide-9 defense has been a disaster the last 2 years. Can't forget about the pass rush. If we want to beat Flacco, Roethlisberger and either Manning in future big games. Have to collapse the pocket. Jones and Armstead help there. Need to replace Vollmer and Winters seems to have a lot of ability. Might play at G and Connolly at C if Scar deems a better fit. Will be getting the crash course at RT backup along with Zusevics. Harvin dramatically improves kickoff return game and Edelman has improved each year as a punt returner. Keep T. White for ST value too. And, I have Buffalo's 1st in 2014!!

Starting Defense
D. Jones - K. Love - V. Wilfork - C. Jones
D. Hightower - B. Spikes - J. Mayo
DRC - McCourty - Phillips - Dennard

Nickel
D. Hightower - D. Jones - V. Wilfork - C. Jones
D. Smith - J. Mayo
DRC - McCourty - Phillips - Dennard and Poyer as my nickel.

Have situational pass rushers we can sub in like Ninko, Armstead and Francis. Maybe, Cunningham comes back stronger. Who knows about Bequette. I'm anticipating Spikes leaving after 2013, that's why I wanted D.Smith. On offense, basically replace Welker with Harvin and Vollmer with Winters. I see Vereen playing a much bigger role and that's why I let Woodhead go. Also, letting Fells walk and signing Hooman and Ballard. Will consider cutting Gostkowski if I get the kid from FSU.

QB - Brady, Kafka, ???
RB - Ridley, Vereen, Bolden and Demps
TE - Gronk, Hernandez, Hooman, Ballard
OL - Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Cannon
Zusevics, Winters, McDonald, D. Thomas
WR - Harvin, Lloyd, Patton, Edelman and Slater
DL - D. Jones, K. Love, V. Wilfork, C. Jones
R. Ninkovich, B. Deaderick, A. Armstead, J. Francis, J. Cunningham
LB - D. Hightower, B. Spikes, J. Mayo
D. Smith, D. Fletcher and T. White
CB - DRC, Dennard, Poyer, Dowling and M. Cole.
S - McCourty, Phillips, Gregory, Wilson and Ebner
ST - Mesko, Gostkowski and Aiken.

Too much caffeine today. Going to throw one of those crazy mocks out there. It's all about improving the defense to me. Let Welker and Talib go.

1. Trade Mallett and a tagged Sebastian Vollmer to Cleveland for the 6th pick. Allows Lombardi to save face and improve their ol. They have tons of cap space.

2. Trade 6th and 29th to Rams for 16 and 22 and their 2nd 46th. The Rams need Eric Fisher is why they want to trade up.

If we are trading Vollmer, I'd rather draft Fisher and keep him for ourselves. I'm not as optimistic about Cannon at RT, think he's more of a guard at the NFL level.

3. Trade 46th overall for Percy Harvin. Getting the Moss treatment contract wise. Let's see howhe does and talk at the end of the year.

A 2nd rounder plus 10m per year is a lot to pay for a Welker replacement. I'd rahter go after a Tavon Austin or Wheatley in the 2nd and pay just rookie salary. We can get a guy like Amendola or Hartline for just cash in free agency.

I do like your idea of drafting a new kicker in the late rounds. Time to give Gostkowski some competition. He has been very nonclutch lately and might not be worth the money he is counting against the cap.

If we are trading Vollmer, I'd rather draft Fisher and keep him for ourselves. I'm not as optimistic about Cannon at RT, think he's more of a guard at the NFL level.

A 2nd rounder plus 10m per year is a lot to pay for a Welker replacement. I'd rahter go after a Tavon Austin or Wheatley in the 2nd and pay just rookie salary. We can get a guy like Amendola or Hartline for just cash in free agency.

I do like your idea of drafting a new kicker in the late rounds. Time to give Gostkowski some competition. He has been very nonclutch lately and might not be worth the money he is counting against the cap.

I'd rather have Datone Jones, a 2nd round corner and Buffalo's 1st next year than Eric Fisher. He doesn't improve our defense.

Harvin>Hartline and Amendola. I'm trying to win the next couple of Super Bowls. Harvin is a 2.8m hit this year. Allows me to build up our defense which is why I feel we haven't been able to close the deal and win a Super Bowl. I'm taking a wr with 59. Patton. If you prefer Wheaton, no prob. He's an excellent prospect too.

if we trade cleveland mallett and vollmer i think we could get the 6 and a 2014 3rd

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back