PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jenkins: Anything like Ed Reed?

CrazyDave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We all know about BB's thing for Ed Reed.
Can anyone give me some thoughts on Jenkins?
Could this guy be the ball-hawk we need back there?

Sorry if this does'nt warrant a thread, but it never hurts to ask.

Last edited:
He's good, but hes not Ed Reed

Ed Reed is one of the two best safeties to ever play the game (Ronnie Lott being the other, and which one is better is a toss-up). I don't think you pick a guy hoping he's going to be one of the best ever; you pick a guy hoping he's going to be a Pro Bowl-level player in your defense. But you can't pick someone and be carving a bust for him in Canton.

Ed Reed is one of the two best safeties to ever play the game (Ronnie Lott being the other, and which one is better is a toss-up). I don't think you pick a guy hoping he's going to be one of the best ever; you pick a guy hoping he's going to be a Pro Bowl-level player in your defense. But you can't pick someone and be carving a bust for him in Canton.

O.K., Bad thread title.
How good IS this guy.
I want to know how happy I should be tomorrow.

Who knows? Who ever thought that Ed Reed would be Ed Reed in 2002? Certainly not BB, or he never would have passed on him after trading up to 21 for Dan Graham.

I agree that Ed Reed is the best FS in the past decade and the best since Ronnie Lott. He and Troy Polamalu are absolutely unique weapons, and it kills me that we could have had either (or both), having had the opportunity to take Polamalu at 13 in 2003.

I think that BB could make great use of Jenkins at either CB or FS, and could get good value from him at anywhere from 15 on. Whether he'll be Ed Reed is an entirely different question, however. Only time will tell.

Who knows? Who ever thought that Ed Reed would be Ed Reed in 2002? Certainly not BB, or he never would have passed on him after trading up to 21 for Dan Graham.

I agree that Ed Reed is the best FS in the past decade and the best since Ronnie Lott. He and Troy Polamalu are absolutely unique weapons, and it kills me that we could have had either (or both), having had the opportunity to take Polamalu at 13 in 2003.

I think that BB could make great use of Jenkins at either CB or FS, and could get good value from him at anywhere from 15 on. Whether he'll be Ed Reed is an entirely different question, however. Only time will tell.

15 on, but not say... #9?

15 on, but not say... #9?

Depends how highly BB thought of him. Current draft thought has him going not earlier than #14 to New Orleans, so trading up to #9 for him would likely be a reach. NO has no 2nd or third round pick, so if the Pats really wanted Jenkins they could likely trade 23 + 58 to move up to 14 for him.

Depends how highly BB thought of him. Current draft thought has him going not earlier than #14 to New Orleans, so trading up to #9 for him would likely be a reach. NO has no 2nd or third round pick, so if the Pats really wanted Jenkins they could likely trade 23 + 58 to move up to 14 for him.

True, true. But, nobody had Jerod Mayo going higher than 15.

I'm just saying, if Belichick moves up to 9, I think he's got a target in mind.

Might be Jenkins, might not be Jenkins.

But, Jenkins is a CB IMO. While he might not have great timed speed, he's got football speed, instincts, smarts, great closing speed, and fluidity: all traits that make him a top 10 corner IMO.

If there's one thing we know about Bill Belichick's draft board, we know it's not conventional, and it's nothing like the 31 other draft boards in the league.

Remember before the combine, before the measurables, back when people went on tape alone? Well, Jenkins was a top 5 - 10 pick. I think he's still worth taking in the top ten, despite 'average' timed speed. I think that people are overlooking just how good he is. Also, for the record, Ty Law and Asante Samuel were just as 'slow' as Jenkins. They worked out pretty well for us, if I recall. . . .

As for an Ed Reed type player: his name is Eric Berry, and he's only a sophomore with the Vols. YouTube him; he owns the record for most interception return yards in a single college season--some ridiculous number over 250 yards. He averages almost 40 yards a return, is always in the right position, and has insane moves. He plays hard against the run, too. He's my number one target over the next two years, depending on when he declares.

Remember before the combine, before the measurables, back when people went on tape alone? Well, Jenkins was a top 5 - 10 pick. I think he's still worth taking in the top ten, despite 'average' timed speed. I think that people are overlooking just how good he is. Also, for the record, Ty Law and Asante Samuel were just as 'slow' as Jenkins. They worked out pretty well for us, if I recall. . . .

As for an Ed Reed type player: his name is Eric Berry, and he's only a sophomore with the Vols. YouTube him; he owns the record for most interception return yards in a single college season--some ridiculous number over 250 yards. He averages almost 40 yards a return, is always in the right position, and has insane moves. He plays hard against the run, too. He's my number one target over the next two years, depending on when he declares.

I think Ed Reed would struggle to be Ed Reed in our defense. Much like Thomas has struggled to be a playmaker in our system. I am not knocking Reed, but just pointing our that in the BB soft zone defense and without a decent pass rush, the DB's have their work cut out for them to make consistant plays. Gamblers that know how to set up opposing QB's seem to excel in our defense.

That being said, from the FS position Jenkins can use his strength, timing and anticipation to really excel.

Berry is the real deal.

I think Ed Reed would struggle to be Ed Reed in our defense. Much like Thomas has struggled to be a playmaker in our system. I am not knocking Reed, but just pointing our that in the BB soft zone defense and without a decent pass rush, the DB's have their work cut out for them to make consistant plays. Gamblers that know how to set up opposing QB's seem to excel in our defense.

That being said, from the FS position Jenkins can use his strength, timing and anticipation to really excel.

Berry is the real deal.

Berry will be next year's Aaron Curry. There's nothing not to like about him. Though his lack of size may make a few teams hesitate at the very top of the draft. He's certainly one of the best playmakers to come out in a long time.

Berry is the real deal.

So, you would see Jenkins as a FS rather than a corner?
That's kinda my thought as well.

Jenkins no doubt can play safety fairly well. But so can, uh, real safeties, which are available a round or two later and have less of a learning curve. He's not just an average corner with average speed, he's an elite corner with more than adequate speed. We didn't try to convert Law into a safety, did we? Yet Jenkins is actually faster than Law. So I really don't get this fascination with taking a great player at one position and attempting to convert him to a position where for all we know he may only be average.

I hope we trade up with NO to get him, and that he goes on to learn from Springs how to be an absolute shut-down CB.

Jenkins no doubt can play safety fairly well. But so can, uh, real safeties, which are available a round or two later and have less of a learning curve. He's not just an average corner with average speed, he's an elite corner with more than adequate speed. We didn't try to convert Law into a safety, did we? Yet Jenkins is actually faster than Law. So I really don't get this fascination with taking a great player at one position and attempting to convert him to a position where for all we know he may only be average.

I hope we trade up with NO to get him, and that he goes on to learn from Springs how to be an absolute shut-down CB.

4.51 for a corner is OK speed and we have had slower that have succeeded, Otis Smith. The 3 cone of 6.59 is off the chains, so maybe BB keeps him on the corner and keeps the FS rolled to his side.

The other things to consider with Jenkins are that he has exceptional footwork, even for a corner, and he is an excellent tackler.

He would be wasted at FS.

i don't have a problem wherever he plays.
I know I am sick and tired of guys completing 3rd and long on us all the time.
We need a playmaker in the backfield real bad.
This guy looks like he could be our man.
At least, that's who I'm going with.

4.51 for a corner is OK speed and we have had slower that have succeeded, Otis Smith. The 3 cone of 6.59 is off the chains, so maybe BB keeps him on the corner and keeps the FS rolled to his side.

It's not just the sick 3 cone which shows off his hips that blows me away. His 20 yard short shuttle was the best as well. He gets to the ball very quick telling me he has the explosive jump we are looking for. I laugh at fools saying he is too slow to play the position. Give that 3 cone,short shuttle and big school pedigree over Butler and his intangibles any day of the week.

It's not just the sick 3 cone which shows off his hips that blows me away. His 20 yard short shuttle was the best as well. He gets to the ball very quick telling me he has the explosive jump we are looking for. I laugh at fools saying he is too slow to play the position. Give that 3 cone,short shuttle and big school pedigree over Butler and his intangibles any day of the week.

I second that. Jenkins can play either CB or FS as far as I am concerned.

So, with that said, how do you like Merriwether at ss rather than fs?

We've talked about that in detail quite recently in 2 separate threads:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/231402-lets-add-two-secondary.html
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...3/231403-free-safety-strong-safety-both.html

I think that BB clearly likes hybrid safeties who can play in the box or cover. Meriweather was quite good near the LOS last year and showed nice blitz ability. I'm a bit concerned that he's small to take the pounding, but he's not much smaller than Troy Polamalu and presumably he will continue to work on his strength and conditioning. Malcolm Jenkins has adequate size to support the run as well. I think that BB could use them quite effectively as a safety tandem. Or, he could use Jenkins at CB and complement Meriweather with more of a traditional SS type.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back