PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

It would be malpractice to get another QB in there without retooling the skill positions on offense. These guys aren't good enough.
Get the QB now. Imperative #1. Mac will make anyone look worse than they are. We don't know what we have. They leave and guys like Jonnu look like Pro Bowl TEs. We never throw downfield. That in itself tells you what defenses are doing to our WRs. Crowding them.

As bad as Parker is, he was wide open for a 1st down in the red zone, but we settled for 3 points. This is happening week after week. Plenty of time to throw as well.

Corky NEVER had "It." He had "Alabama."
It’s amazing how people can think a guy like Purdy is a product of the system but don’t think the same can happen in college where it’s easier to have completely stacked rosters.

(This isn’t a Purdy debate, just using an example)

I’ve seen people show clips of his college reel to prove he’s a good qb. But they need to understand, there is good and then nfl good. No doubt he’s good and would crush CFL. He can throw passes and if he’s in a huge pocket and the first read WR is clearly open, he’ll hit the guy.

But that’s not enough to be successfully in a league where backup players are much better than most of the best college players.

The Pats didn’t “break” Mac. Mac caught teams that underestimated him off guard early on but have since figured him out and he’s been mediocre since.

This is a guy with the "it" factor. Pocket awareness, doesn't panic, breaks a tackle, delivers a dime with a LB bearing down on him.

Yea that happened just hours after watching Mac basically turtle and take sacks any time players got close.

Of course, if Mac had attempted what Joe did it would have ended comically bad.

Yea that happened just hours after watching Mac basically turtle and take sacks any time players got close.

Of course, if Mac had attempted what Joe did it would have ended comically bad.
There were at least 5 separate instances on that play where it would have gone disastrously for Mac if any of those things happened to him.

It’s amazing how people can think a guy like Purdy is a product of the system but don’t think the same can happen in college where it’s easier to have completely stacked rosters.

(This isn’t a Purdy debate, just using an example)

I’ve seen people show clips of his college reel to prove he’s a good qb. But they need to understand, there is good and then nfl good. No doubt he’s good and would crush CFL. He can throw passes and if he’s in a huge pocket and the first read WR is clearly open, he’ll hit the guy.

But that’s not enough to be successfully in a league where backup players are much better than most of the best college players.

The Pats didn’t “break” Mac. Mac caught teams that underestimated him off guard early on but have since figured him out and he’s been mediocre since.
Teams didn't underestimate him. The Patriots recognized that playing with your QB on a leash makes it so you have a hard ceiling in today's NFL, and when they took the training wheels off he couldn't cut it. It's that simple. Mac Jones can't make plays and not turn the ball over at an alarming rate at the same time, you either have him try to actually play QB and he'll have a back breaking INT or 2 every game, or you call quick game concepts all game long for 5 yards a pop and complete 75% of your passes for low yardage while cutting down on the turnovers, but then you also don't score. That's who he is. Even in 2021 their point total was absurdly inflated by wins over the Jets, Jags and injury/COVID ravaged Browns and Titans.

That's what people don't get. They keep believing the NFL is just littered with these awful QBs and that the Patriots could do soooo much worse than Mac Jones. They can't. They can do slightly worse, but that's about it. There are few top tier quarterbacks, but the worst starters at the position can still play a little bit, it's not like there's this big risk of moving on from Mac Jones and getting horrific QB play. Even backups are coming in and performing adequately every week.
When backups can do it why can't Mac . I feel we should allow mac to relax and see how he performs with no pressure.

I am not saying Mac is the answer, bit it's in our best interest to get Mac to succeed.no more domocles sword over his neck. Give him this year and. Ext year piossibly if he improves down the stretch. Don't pick his 5th year option to light a fire.

This is a guy with the "it" factor. Pocket awareness, doesn't panic, breaks a tackle, delivers a dime with a LB bearing down on him.

Not a good example to use though. He should have thrown the ball when he stepped up into the pocket. It would have been a perfect illustration of elite QB play.

Everything that happened after was a fluke. Way more often than not, he would be sacked or even strip sacked.

But I get the point, Mac would have been sacked without even stepping up the pocket as he would have simply frozen in the face of pressure. When you look at Burrow's posture, you see a confident QB who knows what he needs to do.

I dont get why so many on here still cling to the hope Mac may come good. Nothing about him says he can do it. Zero nada.

When backups can do it why can't Mac . I feel we should allow mac to relax and see how he performs with no pressure.

I am not saying Mac is the answer, bit it's in our best interest to get Mac to succeed.no more domocles sword over his neck. Give him this year and. Ext year piossibly if he improves down the stretch. Don't pick his 5th year option to light a fire.
Im Not No Way GIF

We have seen enough we don't want him in year Four Mac Jones ain't clutch. I feel both Howell and Minshew who are already better QB's will outplay him.

is he available? sign the beast

Not a good example to use though. He should have thrown the ball when he stepped up into the pocket. It would have been a perfect illustration of elite QB play.

Everything that happened after was a fluke. Way more often than not, he would be sacked or even strip sacked.

But I get the point, Mac would have been sacked without even stepping up the pocket as he would have simply frozen in the face of pressure. When you look at Burrow's posture, you see a confident QB who knows what he needs to do.

I dont get why so many on here still cling to the hope Mac may come good. Nothing about him says he can do it. Zero nada.
The main point is Burrow can do it all. He can avoid pressure, navigate the pocket, and deliver a dime with a LB about to hit him. Is he going to stiff arm the leagues top pass rushers every time they get a hand on him? No. This play is more to illustrate all the things that make Burrow great and it just so happened Burrow was able to display all his abilities on one single snap. There are at least 5 points in that play where Mac would've done the opposite of what Burrow did. He would've taken the sack, or fumbled, or thrown a pick, or tried to scramble and get obliterated. Mac doesn't have any single strength I can point to and say "Well at least he can do X".

Mac can perform at the level of guys like Minshew and Dobbs, absolutely. That's just not good enough. My argument is, that level of play right now is a baseline for starters. There are what, 3 or 4 dudes performing below that level? There just isn't that big of a risk in moving on. Worst case scenario you draft a QB high and sign Jacoby Brissett to back him up/start if he isn't ready. And he's not going to perform worse than Mac.

It's in our best interest to have good QB play. At this point I have zero trust in Mac's ability to provide that. So move on. Of course they have no ability to make a move mid season, but he shouldn't get 2024.

Mac can perform at the level of guys like Minshew and Dobbs, absolutely. That's just not good enough. My argument is, that level of play right now is a baseline for starters. There are what, 3 or 4 dudes performing below that level? There just isn't that big of a risk in moving on. Worst case scenario you draft a QB high and sign Jacoby Brissett to back him up/start if he isn't ready. And he's not going to perform worse than Mac.

It's in our best interest to have good QB play. At this point I have zero trust in Mac's ability to provide that. So move on. Of course they have no ability to make a move mid season, but he shouldn't get 2024.
If he performs like this no way . What if we get the Mac who was mistake free the first 3 games. Can he have an internal clock that stops at 2.2 seconds and throws to the most open guy or throws away and always throw on his front stride.

I feel he has developed some bad habits and primary thing is not stepping up in pocket . Can that be rectified. I don't know. But if he does that , I feel we can see a significantly improved performance from Mac.

If he performs like this no way . What if we get the Mac who was mistake free the first 3 games. Can he have an internal clock that stops at 2.2 seconds and throws to the most open guy or throws away and always throw on his front stride.

I feel he has developed some bad habits and primary thing is not stepping up in pocket . Can that be rectified. I don't know. But if he does that , I feel we can see a significantly improved performance from Mac.
The one who wasn't actually mistake free at all and whose mistakes put them into early holes in two of those games? That's not good enough. The only reason those performances were painted as good by some is due to low expectations. If you get that level of play consistently, he's still not the guy.

Anyone left on the bandwagon? I'd love to hear how.

NO NO NO it isn't Mac, it is the running backs, oline, coaches, defense, o corordinator, wide receivers tight ends.

JFC Mac sucks, he sucks, and thankfully, he has played his last game ever as a Patriot.

NO NO NO it isn't Mac, it is the running backs, oline, coaches, defense, o corordinator, wide receivers tight ends.

JFC Mac sucks, he sucks, and thankfully, he has played his last game ever as a Patriot.
It’s both. This is what should be expected to happen when a low ceiling high floor guy has to work with equine excrement on offense and subpar coaching.

It’s both. This is what should be expected to happen when a low ceiling high floor guy has to work with equine excrement on offense and subpar coaching.
You keep trying so hard SB, it is really pretty cute to watch. I could have made the last pass for a touchdown. Mac's days as a starter for the Patriots are over.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back