PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

@Rob0729
take a close look at the wr routes here please

It wasn't all Patricia#s fault as a lot of guys blamed him for WR running into each other. The same **** play designs are in the current Offense as well. Two WR running into each other in the MOF and the RB runs in this area as well. Easy to defend, no one open, these schemes are not good enough for the NFL level

View attachment 53370

Trent Brown already got beaten, the other edge rusher is around the T soon as well, no one open, #1 and Douglas are running into each other on this play, without Jones extending this play with his feet he wouldn't be able to hit Douglas for that huge gain.

View attachment 53371

One play. Unless you can show me that O'Brien is constantly having receivers run to the same areas all the time like we saw last year, we can chock this up to one of the receivers running the wrong routes. I am guessing this wasn't a designed play.

Last year both the Pats' TEs were taken out of the game for running into another receiver on two different plays in the same game. A totally different thing.

Last edited:
Thanks. Two comments. You might realize this already.

1. When there are 8 or 9 guys in the box, you are not going to run the ball effectively. You can have the best offensive line in the world and if there are more defenders, what can the OL do? If we can't pass the ball, defenses will keep loading the box. Miami started it and it will not stop until Mac has a semi-decent passing game. Notice we started with play action. That was to get Mac in a groove and to try to get Dallas to go to defensive sub packages.

2. Mac's footwork is bad, falling apart, I agree. But his reads are collapsing which is more important because it shows his mind is lost. Look at the QB School video. At the beginning of the video, on the 1st drive when Mac is passing inside the 10 yard line and passing for a TD. The 1st read is covered, the 2nd read was Parker on a shallow cross. Parker was wide open for a TD and he was right in front of Mac. Mac hurried his reads and jumped from the 1st read to the 3rd read (Gesicki). That tells you Mac's mind is panicking, his mind is racing, he is seeing ghosts, whatever you want to call it. BOB is not going to say Mac is panicking. BOB says the fundamentals are breaking down.

Like @Kasmir noted, Mac's mind is scared. I do not know if a QB recovers from this.

Part of the passing game making the run game effective is having speed threats on the outside potent enough to prevent defenses from overselling at the LOS. The Pats lack that.

Also, not only have Mac's reads lacked separation, he hasn't had sufficient time to even see them. Against Dallas he was under pressure 53 percent of the time, which is almost unheard of -- that's how bad the pass blocking was. This doesn't excuse some of the horrid decisions he made but no quarterback is going to maintain composure (and mechanics) under that kind of consistent pressure.

@Rob0729

It wasn't all Patricia#s fault as a lot of guys blamed him for WR running into each other. The same **** play designs are in the current Offense as well. Two WR running into each other in the MOF and the RB runs in this area as well. Easy to defend, no one open, these schemes are not good enough for the NFL level

View attachment 53370

Trent Brown already got beaten, the other edge rusher is around the T soon as well, no one open, #1 and Douglas are running into each other on this play, without Jones extending this play with his feet he wouldn't be able to hit Douglas for that huge gain.

View attachment 53371
Plays like this, according to Curran, have contributed to Douglas' decreased playing time (he talked about this particular one yesterday). He's apparently had difficulty with the offense and this wasn't run the way it was supposed to be, but obviously, it worked out. But that's supposedly the reason why his snaps have been limited.

Plays like this, according to Curran, have contributed to Douglas' decreased playing time (he talked about this particular one yesterday). He's apparently had difficulty with the offense and this wasn't run the way it was supposed to be, but obviously, it worked out. But that's supposedly the reason why his snaps have been limited.

I didn't listen to Curran, but my first thought when I saw those pictures was that Douglas ran the wrong route. O'Brien has been running offenses long enough to not design plays where receivers are in bunches on the field making it easier to defend.

At this point, if I was O'Brien, I would design a handful of routes for Douglas to run and get him on the field. Give him simple crossing patters or quick slants and let him try to get YAC. He has too much talent to be limited when the rest of the receivers aren't producing.

"Making his weekly appearance on Jones & Mego on Wednesday (listen to the full interview above), former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky was asked to evaluate Mac Jones’ play so far. While noting that the Patriots’ offensive line and weapons aren’t helping Jones, Orlovsky pinpointed one area of Jones’ play that he considers “alarming.”

“I think the most disappointing or concerning or alarming thing with Mac is just his feet right now are so unstructured, so undisciplined, so sloppy,” Orlovsky said. “He’s not a physically talented enough player to get away with that. That’s the thing that is starting to get worse and worse and worse. They have to get that nipped in the bud and fixed really quick.”

This is concise and accurate. Can't throw with velocity or accuracy.

"Making his weekly appearance on Jones & Mego on Wednesday (listen to the full interview above), former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky was asked to evaluate Mac Jones’ play so far. While noting that the Patriots’ offensive line and weapons aren’t helping Jones, Orlovsky pinpointed one area of Jones’ play that he considers “alarming.”

“I think the most disappointing or concerning or alarming thing with Mac is just his feet right now are so unstructured, so undisciplined, so sloppy,” Orlovsky said. “He’s not a physically talented enough player to get away with that. That’s the thing that is starting to get worse and worse and worse. They have to get that nipped in the bud and fixed really quick.”

This is concise and accurate. Can't throw with velocity or accuracy.
He's not throwing with velocity or accuracy because he's throwing flat-footed or falling back, which has absolutely stood out on film. That's what Orlovsky was saying, and he's 100% right. And O'Brien sort of alluded to that on Tuesday. From what I've seen, he's not stepping into a lot of throws right now, and that's definitely causing a good amount of his problems.

He's not throwing with velocity or accuracy because he's throwing flat-footed or falling back, which has absolutely stood out on film. That's what Orlovsky was saying, and he's 100% right. And O'Brien sort of alluded to that on Tuesday. From what I've seen, he's not stepping into a lot of throws right now, and that's definitely causing a good amount of his problems.
The sloppy footwork and becoming unsettled under pressure have been with Mac his whole time with the Pats.

But the breakdown on Sunday was so complete that perhaps something else was going on.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if he was anonymously threatened with injury reprisal after the Jets dirty play escapade?

The injurious hit by Calais Campbell last year was thought by many to be a possible reprisal for his alleged dirty play.

Mac might indeed be truly running scared, and if so, trash talking threats will continue if they cause him to fold like he did.

This is a big thing fans have ignored too. Not only has Bill gotten mediocre WRs

He never addressed 3rd down running back. Stevenson/Elliott are not those guys. They have hands of stone.

Bill has really been negligent on the offensive side of the ball. And this is what happens when you don't invest resources and whiff on the few that you do.
Bill always used to be one step ahead at some crucial positions. We won't even touch on what he did at QB but we went from Matt Light to Nate Solder at LT and then he whiffed on Wynn and now musical chairs in the last couple years with Trent Brown. We had Troy Brown, then to Wes Welker, to Edelman/Amendola, to Meyers, and now to no one in the slot receiver role. We went from Kevin Faulk, to Danny Woodhead, to Shane Vereen, to James White, to no one as a third down back.

Those are three of the most important positions in this offense and Bill has either neglected or whiffed on them in the draft or free agency. He has built the 30th ranked offense that punts almost 80% of its drives, has a QB that looks broken, an offensive line that can't block in the run or passing game, an overpaid receiver that can't run, and not a single explosive player on that side of the ball.

One play. Unless you can show me that O'Brien is constantly having receivers run to the same areas all the time like we saw last year, we can chock this up to one of the receivers running the wrong routes. I am guessing this wasn't a designed play.

Last year both the Pats' TEs were taken out of the game for running into another receiver on two different plays in the same game. A totally different thing.
At some point we may need to point the finger at Troy Brown as a receivers coach too. These guys shouldn't be constantly running into each other and running the wrong routes or running them short of the sticks, or not getting two feet down in bounds, etc.

He has built the 30th ranked offense that punts almost 80% of its drives,
Its actually worse than that. Its punts OR turns the ball over almost 80%

the problem is with this play designs that it takes too much time to develop as the wr were crossing each other while the rb also stood here for a quick pass and the protection goes down while the WR were not separated.

Poor spacing like last year Kurt Warner pointed that out looks like amateur hour.

I think most will disagree but I think Mac is on very short leash on Sunday I am sure BB views this as a winnable game.
Dog Running GIF by Nickelodeon

At some point we may need to point the finger at Troy Brown as a receivers coach too. These guys shouldn't be constantly running into each other and running the wrong routes or running them short of the sticks, or not getting two feet down in bounds, etc.

I have felt for a while that I don't think Brown is a very good coach.

I think it was Peyton Manning who said what made him a great player would make him a horrible coach. A lot of players no matter how good they may be cannot teach other players how to play.

How do you know that they did not run the wrong routes last year?

Bill always used to be one step ahead at some crucial positions. We won't even touch on what he did at QB but we went from Matt Light to Nate Solder at LT and then he whiffed on Wynn and now musical chairs in the last couple years with Trent Brown. We had Troy Brown, then to Wes Welker, to Edelman/Amendola, to Meyers, and now to no one in the slot receiver role. We went from Kevin Faulk, to Danny Woodhead, to Shane Vereen, to James White, to no one as a third down back.

Those are three of the most important positions in this offense and Bill has either neglected or whiffed on them in the draft or free agency. He has built the 30th ranked offense that punts almost 80% of its drives, has a QB that looks broken, an offensive line that can't block in the run or passing game, an overpaid receiver that can't run, and not a single explosive player on that side of the ball.

That about sums it up. It really is that bad.

How do you know that they did not run the wrong routes last year?

If they did, that is still on the coaching staff because they did it all the time every game. We had plenty of people who broke down the game film from Kurt Warner to Evan Lazar to Dan Orlovsky showing the horrible separation on routes last year. Whether it is poor play design or poor route running, it is on the coaching staff to fix it and they didn't.

@Rob0729

View attachment 53370

View attachment 53371
That's just mesh. They ran it with more depth than mesh usually calls for which doesn't put the linebackers and safeties into as much conflict as it does when you run is shallow, but every single team in the league runs mesh and every time receivers run into each other in this design it's a route running mistake. To me it looks like Douglas f's up, which may very well explain why he got so few snaps after breaking a big play. Bad spacing is very often receivers making mistakes, not necessarily a product of bad design. Honestly, I'm growing a little tired of the Troy Brown, WR coach experiment at this point.

#31 ranked offense. Counting the 21 points given away, far and away the 32nd ranked offense. How do you get here?

Bad offensive line
Bad skill players
Bad quarterback

Again what does the receiver separation have to do with Mac Jones? We’re not looking at why this team is ranked 16th and how improved WRs could get them to 10th.

We’re looking at the obvious: failures everywhere. They need better blocking. They need better receivers. They need a third down back. They need a quarterback.

#31 ranked offense. Counting the 21 points given away, far and away the 32nd ranked offense. How do you get here?

Bad offensive line
Bad skill players
Bad quarterback

Again what does the receiver separation have to do with Mac Jones? We’re not looking at why this team is ranked 16th and how improved WRs could get them to 10th.

We’re looking at the obvious: failures everywhere. They need better blocking. They need better receivers. They need a third down back. They need a quarterback.
No one is coming; it's up to them.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back