PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Smith Cut. Sign him now

Yeah you can tell who know and who don't know jack **** about Steve Smith. Personally I'm shocked to see the Panthers at least halfway doing the right thing and releasing him, instead of Sproling him to the Browns.

As for all the other ignorant comments:

-Smith, is going to make 3 million dollars guaranteed from the Panthers no matter where goes. He's not going to be playing for the money at this point. He's made his money and he's in Carolina and the position he is in right now because of his loyalty vs money.

-He's been one of the Panthers player appointed Captains for a long time now, a leader on that team, and a player others looked up to. The fighting incidents are not only old, but it's the equivalent of a dude just decking someone in the face for saying something disrespectul about your momma. He may have punched someone, but in the eyes of those who know, it's about the equivalent of Bardy losing his cool and cursing out O'Brian on national TV. And certainly never had any of the serious issues other WR that have graced Pats uniforms have. Moss, Ochocinco, etc. He had the equivalent of schoolyard fights between two jocks, not some mental headcase aggressor. When he was younger he just had a tendency to strike first and ask questions later.

-Finally, he's been ASKING to be in the slot or give him some help and to put him in a reduced role. They didn't. He wanted LaFell to take on the reigns from him and has been helping him do that ever since LaFell came in as a rookie. LaFail failed to win the job.

Please take it from those of us fans who have actually watched this dude for 13 years since he was a rookie, day in and day out, and knows his personal life in Charlotte, rather than ESPN.

Steve Smith on the field.

New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Steve Smith off the field:

samaritan-s-feet.jpg

s-STEVE-SMITH-CAROLINA-PANTHERS-large.jpg

306ff4c5e0a1b81f97392e9bf5fce5b2.jpg

In a nutshell. Appearances and hearsay can be deceiving.

Use some common sense. You don't get to be the #1 option on the same team for 13 years if you have major issues. And you certainly don't get to have the owner- quite frankly they have never even liked each other and probably still don't to this day- bow down to Smith and personally beg him to come back to the team when he was a free agent, if he doesn't know the kind of man he is or if he thought he was a major headcase. Smith earned everyone's respect on that team, from owner to janitor and has the same old school mentality that a coach like BB has.

Great post.

I didn't know he was that involved off the field with his community, but just watching him play the past 13 years you can tell he's insanely competitive and cares probably too much for people who are not as competitive as he is.

Would be like getting Rodney for our offense.

Ozzie Smith knows he lost quite a leader in Anquan, Smith will be the guy to replace that void.

Count me among those who don't get the Smith hype.

He's got a mouth, that's for sure, but he backs it up on the field and i thought he looked great against the Patriots and often times that's the difference for Belichick, he loves to bring in players who have played really well against them.

The Patriots have a history of taking chances on certain player's with bad track records and some have worked out really well for them, Dillon, Moss, Talib, Blount as examples. Smith really hasn't had any significant incidents for a long time and his anger at Carolina is due to their going public with their desire to move on without ever discussing it with him, and i can't say that I blame him for that, player's get offended by how they are being treated by their team all the time and this is a guy who has done more for that franchise than probably any player in their history, so there are some good reasons for his anger. I have no idea how Belichick views him but I wouldn't have any problem with them taking a chance on him and i think he could really help them next season if they do bring him in.

Steve's not undisciplined. In this world there are guys who think you never throw a punch, under any circumstance, no matter what. And then there are guys that believe when you cross over a certain limit, you get punched in the mouth. He's the latter.

I believe that too. I had a **** boss in the car business who was immature for his age as a boss and liked to act as a hard-ass. Some days he would try to test me because I was young and appeared to have thin skin. One day I was drinking my coffee, minding my own business in the showroom, he came up behind me, messing around, swept my leg from under me, I fell on my back and hit my head on the floor. He embarrassed me in front of all the other men.

Now I could have reported him. I could have kept my cool. I maybe could have even gotten him fired. But that's not how you always go about doing things.

I got up, picked him up and body slammed him in front of everyone. He got up and shook my hand. Nothing more ever took place between us. Six months later, he promoted me to manager and he ended up having the upmost respect for me. In our environment, between men, it was considered fair game.

Not everyone in this world lives their lives by the PC book. I can only imagine it's the same in a football locker room. You either get it or you don't, and chances are if you don't get "that", you're probably never going to be one of BB's favorites.

Steve's not undisciplined. In this world there are guys who think you never throw a punch, under any circumstance, no matter what. And then there are guys that believe when you cross over a certain limit, you get punched in the mouth. He's the latter.

I believe that too. I had a **** boss in the car business who was immature for his age as a boss and liked to act as a hard-ass. Some days he would try to test me because I was young and appeared to have thin skin. One day I was drinking my coffee, minding my own business in the showroom, he came up behind me, messing around, swept my leg from under me, I fell on my back and hit my head on the floor. He embarrassed me in front of all the other men.

Now I could have reported him. I could have kept my cool. I maybe could have even gotten him fired. But that's not how you always go about doing things.

I got up, picked him up and body slammed him in front of everyone. He got up and shook my hand. Nothing more ever took place between us. Six months later, he promoted me to manager and he ended up having the upmost respect for me. In our environment, between men, it was considered fair game.

Not everyone in this world lives their lives by the PC book. I can only imagine it's the same in a football locker room. You either get it or you don't, and chances are if you don't get "that", you're probably never going to be one of BB's favorites.

Like i said, i would be in favor of the move as it would indicate that Belichick believes he can help them win a Lombardi, and like Dillon, Moss, Harrison, Talib, Blount and others he could end up fitting in just fine and helping them win. You need player's with attitudes but also need to know they can keep it in chack and not cost the team and belichick will just have to decide if that's the case with Smith. On the other hand this could all be moot and he could be a Raven by 4 PM. I hope not because that would improve them and we never want to see that.

I also think that people need to remember that many of the same things were said about guys like Talib, Blount etc... and we ended up wanting them here.

Like i said, i would be in favor of the move as it would indicate that Belichick believes he can help them win a Lombardi, and like Dillon, Moss, Harrison, Talib, Blount and others he could end up fitting in just fine and helping them win. You need player's with attitudes but also need to know they can keep it in chack and not cost the team and belichick will just have to decide if that's the case with Smith. On the other hand this could all be moot and he could be a Raven by 4 PM. I hope not because that would improve them and we never want to see that.

I also think that people need to remember that many of the same things were said about guys like Talib, Blount etc... and we ended up wanting them here.

Yeah and that's going to be part of it. If BB allows Smith to be Smith and gives him a little bit of rope, like he does to Gronk, then I can see Smith coming here. If BB wants to turn him into Ochocinco, I see Smith going to the Ravens because they likely won't try to stifle his personality, and I feel he's the kind of player that needs to get fired up, to play the way he does. He needs that bit of rope and I feel comfortable he won't hang himself with it. He's matured a lot more in recent years, and now has learned at using his aggression to DRAW personal penalties on the OTHER player rather than himself.

Yeah and that's going to be part of it. If BB allows Smith to be Smith and gives him a little bit of rope, like he does to Gronk, then I can see Smith coming here. If BB wants to turn him into Ochocinco, I see Smith going to the Ravens because they likely won't try to stifle his personality, and I feel he's the kind of player that needs to get fired up, to play the way he does. He needs that bit of rope and I feel comfortable he won't hang himself with it. He's matured a lot more in recent years, and now has learned at using his aggression to DRAW personal penalties on the OTHER player rather than himself.

I think the most likely choice by Smith is going to be Baltimore as I think he will see himself fitting in the best with that franchise.

If Edelman goes to the Browns or elsewhere, we need to sign Smith.

Boomer Esiason said this morn Smith was heading to the Pats. Gave it a 50% chance of happening.

If he does sign here, we can look forward to him telling Talib to "ice up, son." It will add another layer to the Pats-Broncos rivalry. We already know Talib can't cover him.

This is what Jermaine Wiggins tweeted about 45 minutes ago

jermaine wiggins ‏@jwiggs85 44m
If I'm working the front office for #Patriots I'm call the #Falcons to see if they'd take a 3rd rd pick for @roddywhiteTV!!! #WIGGSOUT

Kind of interesting idea. Maybe the Falcons would be open to dealing him? Got the Pats connection with Dimitroff and Pioli, and we need a receiver.

If we get Smith we've won FA in my eyes. An incredible for both sides of the ball. I am wondering just how good Smith could be with Brady as his QB.

Kind of interesting idea. Maybe the Falcons would be open to dealing him? Got the Pats connection with Dimitroff and Pioli, and we need a receiver.

Doubt they would trade him for a 3rd.

I would prefer JE over Steve Smith. Knows the system and will be around longer

I think the most likely choice by Smith is going to be Baltimore as I think he will see himself fitting in the best with that franchise.

Maybe. Steve's a hard ass. But he's not dirty. The Ravens are dirty.;)

He could also end up with his old coach in Denver, which I really don't want to see or even one of the Cali teams since he's originally from Cali.

Pats
Baltimore
Denver
San Francisco
San Diego(McCoy was his OC)

That's the 5 teams I would guess was on his list. But apparently we are one of the 5 so we have a 20% chance if BB likes him.

No matter where he goes, I see his numbers going up, because it will be an improvement from any of the QB's he's played with and will have more help on the other side of the field.

Edit: Well I was a bit off with a couple. Apparently.

Pats
Baltimore
Cowboys
Tampa Bay
San Diego

Cowboys are a long shot right now due to cap space...so that really only leaves 4. Bucs could be very likely though, since they are a divisional rival and would probably love to stick it to the Panthers. Crossing my fingers. Out of all those teams, we are the most in need of a receiver at this moment. As long as he doesn't end up with Goober.

Pats need a Red Zone target not a 5'9 WR whose YPC has declined year after year after year. I'd rather have LaFell. Truthfully sign Edelman and draft a WR in the 2nd round after drafting a TE in the first.

Would do that in a heartbeat for a 3rd rounder.

All I know is he whipped our 2ndary in sb 38 and almost stole one from us as young man. Then made talib look just silly as an old man.I support our players but the way Talib acted was kind of embarrassing in front of a national audience.

Bottom line I prefer both Revis and Smith over the two younger guys we had. Just seem to have more impact on games.

Remind me not to quibble about a deal with you

If Smith can still play then he'd be an awesome addition. Stick him in the slot and have AD, DA, KT and JB fight it out for the other reps.

If AD improves he should be an ideal red zone target with his hands and leaping ability.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back