PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

I hear you but my point was perhaps more general. The offence did stink in TBs last season, for whatever reason i.e. our offence has been **** for the best part of 5 seasons and it's getting ridiculous.
The offense stunk in 2019 and was still significantly better than this year's offense by EPA/Play, even with worse weapons. This offense is bad, the weapons are subpar, the QB also isn't special. I don't see why there's this taboo over pointing out the last part when everyone is very comfortable crapping on play calling, the OL, the running game, the receivers. All is fair game, except for the quarterback who leads a team that has consistently struggled to score points even with fantastic field position all game and his defense giving him the most offensive drives per game in football. It was all Patricia's fault, then it was all about the OL, now it's the receivers who all suck. Yeah, he'd be very good with a great defense, great play calling, great receivers and great protection. So would Davis Mills. So were Nick Foles and Case Keenum when they had that.

This offense is bad, the weapons are subpar, the QB also isn't special. I don't see why there's this taboo over pointing out the last part
There is? As far as I can see Mac is in the crosshairs more than anyone else on this forum. Partly understandable because he's the QB but maybe less so because for me the expectations on a 3rd year QB, with his 3rd OC in 3 seasons coming off Judge/Patricia with uninspiring weapons (where we seem to be bigging up 6th round fliers to be the saviour) is not realistic. I've already posted in this thread that the jury is out on Mac. He needs to do better but those around him also need to do, and be, better.

Coming into the season I was very down on Mac. I don’t see the “clutch gene” but he is very much a legitimate starting NFL QB. He’s done well despite the deficiencies surrounding him.

There is? As far as I can see Mac is in the crosshairs more than anyone else on this forum. Partly understandable because he's the QB but maybe less so because for me the expectations on a 3rd year QB, with his 3rd OC in 3 seasons coming off Judge/Patricia with uninspiring weapons (where we seem to be bigging up 6th round fliers to be the saviour) is not realistic. I've already posted in this thread that the jury is out on Mac. He needs to do better but those around him also need to do, and be, better.

every week there is a new "mac is not the guy" thread. I hardly see any threads talking about the sub-par receivers or OL.

every week there is a new "mac is not the guy" thread. I hardly see any threads talking about the sub-par receivers or OL.
I don't know how this gets better. Smith-Schuster is leaving a massive void and the fact Boutte has been a healthy scratch is also frustrating. The only thing we might be able to hope for would be Thornton returning and being someone maybe they start targeting for YAC plays vs heaving it down the field when he comes back. And as I've also said, he needs to become Deion Branch-esque in terms of getting down before getting hit and becoming an expert at self-preservation.

Granted, they have Douglas, but I'm stunned that Smith-Schuster has been this poor through two games. That's a really significant issue and I don't know how much better he's going to get, at least not based on what we've seen so far.

I don't know how this gets better. Smith-Schuster is leaving a massive void and the fact Boutte has been a healthy scratch is also frustrating. The only thing we might be able to hope for would be Thornton returning and being someone maybe they start targeting for YAC plays vs heaving it down the field when he comes back. And as I've also said, he needs to become Deion Branch-esque in terms of getting down before getting hit and becoming an expert at self-preservation.

Granted, they have Douglas, but I'm stunned that Smith-Schuster has been this poor through two games. That's a really significant issue and I don't know how much better he's going to get, at least not based on what we've seen so far.
If JJSS doesn't get better than this fast then I think a move will have to be made at the deadline.

I'm not going to pretend Jakobi was this amazing player when he was here and this team needs guys that are better at getting those YAC...there's a good reason why he had a TD drought to start his career... but if this is the JJSS we got then gimme Meyers over this JJSS anyday. At least he was a net positive for the receiving corps.

If JJSS doesn't get better than this fast then I think a move will have to be made at the deadline.

I'm not going to pretend Jakobi was this amazing player when he was here and this team needs guys that are better at getting those YAC...there's a good reason why he had a TD drought to start his career... but if this is the JJSS we got then gimme Meyers over this JJSS anyday. At least he was a net positive for the receiving corps.
Exactly. You need a guy who can at least pressure the defense and win a one-on-one match-up to open things up. He's not giving them that right now.

At least Meyers consistently got open on 3rd down and put up around 800 yards a season.

Juju looks cooked. A huge BB misfire. Especially when Meyers signed for a reasonable amount

And people were pooh-poohing that bad knee report...

He's also a dunderhead for not knowing the rules on that blindside block...he said he wanted to throw one because he watched a video of Whines Ward doing it when it was still legal.

Jakobi looks pretty damn good in the Raiders offense. He looks a lot quicker and more sudden than JJSS.

I wonder what Mac is thinking seeing what his Bama buddy Tua has to play with every Sunday. Can't blame him if he's thinking the obvious.

Jakobi looks pretty damn good in the Raiders offense. He looks a lot quicker and more sudden than JJSS.
I hated hated we let a sure thing go in Jacobi and paid basically the same for an unknown commodity (given our history with WRs) at best.

You can take those risks with Brady because he will do with whatever he has. You cannot take a struggling 3rd year QB's most reliable weapon and replace him with a bunch of question marks.

The offense stunk in 2019 and was still significantly better than this year's offense by EPA/Play, even with worse weapons. This offense is bad, the weapons are subpar, the QB also isn't special. I don't see why there's this taboo over pointing out the last part when everyone is very comfortable crapping on play calling, the OL, the running game, the receivers. All is fair game, except for the quarterback who leads a team that has consistently struggled to score points even with fantastic field position all game and his defense giving him the most offensive drives per game in football. It was all Patricia's fault, then it was all about the OL, now it's the receivers who all suck. Yeah, he'd be very good with a great defense, great play calling, great receivers and great protection. So would Davis Mills. So were Nick Foles and Case Keenum when they had that.
People want to get behind the drafted guy that followed Brady so they can show they’re ultimate fans of the laundry, no matter how much of a nut-tapping goober he is.

Did this Juju knee issue happen after we signed him?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back