PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

One thing that has been consistent since Mac has entered the league is the team and coaches around him letting him down.
Corrected for you...

Mac is not a very good QB, period. He does not throw with anticipation. His accuracy is inconsistent. He does not read the blitz well and as a result is poor at setting protections. He leaves so many plays on the field each and every game.
Isn't he one of the top qbs against the blitz/when pressured this year?

Mac is not a very good QB, period. He does not throw with anticipation. His accuracy is inconsistent. He does not read the blitz well and as a result is poor at setting protections. He leaves so many plays on the field each and every game.
Your hate has you verging on vapidity. Who else claims Mac lacks anticipation and accuracy? He has a lot to prove, but accuracy and anticipation are widely recognized as his strengths.

Please let me know what should a QB do during a blitz when none of the safety valves are free and it's just a free run and happens close to 2 out of 3 calls because the opposing defense knows that we can't pass deep. And Mac can't be throwing those away if it's 2 out of 3 downs on these.

Again I am not saying Mac is not at fault anytime, bit more often than not the offensive line, coaching and support players play a big role in pulling him down.

Tbh, Brady would also have stunk it up with similar coaching and offensive playmakers. Note Brady always had a decent offensive line and safety valve in jules, Gronk and white . Mac has none.

Please let me know what should a QB do during a blitz when none of the safety valves are free and it's just a free run and happens close to 2 out of 3 calls because the opposing defense knows that we can't pass deep. And Mac can't be throwing those away if it's 2 out of 3 downs on these.

Again I am not saying Mac is not at fault anytime, bit more often than not the offensive line, coaching and support players play a big role in pulling him down.

Tbh, Brady would also have stunk it up with similar coaching and offensive playmakers. Note Brady always had a decent offensive line and safety valve in jules, Gronk and white . Mac has none.
What Purdy's performance vs the Rams.

I'd say Mac is a serviceable starting QB as he showed in his rookie year and starting to show this season. This is close to his floor. He's as good as the team is around him. Tua was no different and look at him now. Purdy too. There's nothing special or great about any part of Purdy's game but he can play when the right team is around him which he obviously has.

I think Jones is better against the blitz now than he was in his rookie year. But I'm not close to saying he is the guy. Not yet.

Even in the first round nothing is for sure when it comes to finding a great QB. Look at the Jets and Bills over the years...

As long as the offensive line starters remain healthy and they're not playing in pouring rain, Mac will look good... because he has.

It will be nice to get Thornton back, and get Douglas and Boutte back in the coaches good graces. Get some young legs on the field.

"It" doesn't exist, either you have a team that executes in crunch time or you don't.

So far it has been the surrounding team not Mac that has failed them.

I'd say Mac is a serviceable starting QB as he showed in his rookie year and starting to show this season. This is close to his floor. He's as good as the team is around him. Tua was no different and look at him now. I think Jones is better against the blitz now than he was in his rookie year. But I'm not close to saying he is the guy. Not yet.

Even in the first round nothing is for sure when it comes to finding a great QB. Look at the Jets and Bills over the years...
Tua has improved a ton these past 2 years IMO. Yes, he has great weapons but he is in the running for MVP right now with the way he is slinging the ball and making the right reads. I also think McDaniel is a really good coach too.

I'd say Mac is a serviceable starting QB as he showed in his rookie year and starting to show this season. This is close to his floor. He's as good as the team is around him. Tua was no different and look at him now. Purdy too. There's nothing special or great about any part of Purdy's game but he can play when the right team is around him which he obviously has.

I think Jones is better against the blitz now than he was in his rookie year. But I'm not close to saying he is the guy. Not yet.

I also think he's physically stronger and better built for an NFL season.

As a rookie he was flabby and built for a 13 game college season, that's why he lost steam down the stretch.

Tom Curran last night on this very topic:

"Look, if you don't have guys who are extremely fast and elusive, the best way to get them open is to have a lot of time," said Curran. "Now, Ben Roethlisberger profited from that, even though he had a very good Steelers offensive line because he was built like a sequoia, and he could stand there and have people bounce off him. Mac isn't that, so he'll need that protection."

"But I could see, if the development of the offensive line continues and they get more time for him, where he can survey and make some throws. Because one thing about him is he is so friggin accurate. His anticipation is so absurd that you do have something there."

Obviously, that's based on a lot of film review and they then referred to this play as one example:

I'll point out after taking another look for those who talk about the second half, Jones only had 11 attempts (4/7 39yds in the 3rd QTR, 2/4 in the 4th QTR). They ran the ball 24 times.

People talk about the kid like he's Zach Wilson, or worse. I just don't get it. There's still at least a possibility they could go on a run with him at some point and potentially be in the mix. Yet, there are a lot of teams right now in this league who certainly don't have anyone to make them feel that way. So clearly, it could be much worse.

People talk about the kid like he's Zach Wilson, or worse. I just don't get it. There's still at least a possibility they could go on a run with him at some point and potentially be in the mix.
More and more, as the oline gets better, it feels like we're going to go exactly as far as our WRs take us. If they get better about routes and making catches, we can go on a run. If they continue to not be on the same page or do stupid stuff, we're just going to wilt.

Hopefully next year the starters get more reps in preseason. I think they needed them.

More and more, as the oline gets better, it feels like we're going to go exactly as far as our WRs take us.
Right now, there's a lot of "can he do it? I don't think he can," coming from people, which is certainly O.K. to question. But I feel like the fact they're even asking the first question tells you that, unlike most teams, there's at least a chance, however poor they think it may be. With others, there's zero chance. Which is why I keep sort of saying to just let it play out. As I've said, the better scenario is for things to pan out because to have to keep going to the well at quarterback and starting over isn't ideal.

Whatever the answer is, we're going to end up seeing it over the next 14 weeks. Regardless of how any of us feel. He'll either end up being good - or he won't.

Right now, there's a lot of "can he do it? I don't think he can," coming from people, which is certainly O.K. to question. But I feel like the fact they're even asking the first question tells you that, unlike most teams, there's at least a chance, however poor they think it may be. With others, there's zero chance. Which is why I keep sort of saying to just let it play out. As I've said, the better scenario is for things to pan out because to have to keep going to the well at quarterback and starting over isn't ideal.

Whatever the answer is, we're going to end up seeing it over the next 14 weeks. Regardless of how any of us feel. He'll either end up being good - or he won't.
Right. I've sort of become convinced over the last couple of weeks, that he's good enough. (Though maybe I just want to be convinced.) But watching the plays in the Jets games, it really felt like he and Bourne and the TEs are doing a pretty good job. The other WRs... well, we'll see.

Tua has improved a ton these past 2 years IMO. Yes, he has great weapons but he is in the running for MVP right now with the way he is slinging the ball and making the right reads. I also think McDaniel is a really good coach too.
Prior to Miami hiring McDaniel I suggested firing Bill and hiring McDaniel or trying to get McDaniel as a offensive coach here and I was laughed out of the building.

I said the play designs and scheme the niners were implementing out of the run game was next gen ish and what we needed here.

What Purdy's performance vs the Rams.
Yeah purdy throwing to aiyuk, deebo, kittle, McCaffrey is the same as Mac throwing to Bourne, juju, Parker , Henry.

Their receivers get open within 2 seconds , ours don't . Their pass protection is better so there is lots of motion. W eare second worst ranked so there is 0 motion.

What does this mean. Our opposing defense know for 80% certainty what our play calling is. How does that impact your QB. Well he is pressured more and needs to throw short passes hoping to get some YAC after catch which is also not happening.

I am sure your opinion could be right some day or some days or eventually in future. But now pinning blame on Mac is nothing but trying to stick to personal opinion without facts and context.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back